• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gourmet takeaways & delis in London...

I'm looking for the best of London's gourmet food shops/delis/and outposts of market stalls (i.e. shops that started as market stalls, became so successful that they opened away from a market) around London.

I've searched the boards, and have unearthed some good ones thanks to you guys - but also every post with the word "delicate" and a lot of peripheral stuff, and basically it's Sunday and I'm feeling lazy so would appreciate your insight as follows:

- across all 'ethnicities and 'hoods within Zones 1-3, let's say - so Italian; Portuguese (what's the name of that huge place on the end of P-bello Road?; Lebanese (like Green Valley for example); Italian; French; other...

- not a chain of more than three, so no Carluccio's for example

- newish or off the beaten path would be ideal: so Ottolenghi (newish), Rifettorio (newish) are good...the new Brindisa tapas bar at Borough which opened this week is too, as an outpost of Brindisa's deli and market stall. But Ginger Pig shop isn't because it's really a butcher with only a handful of take-away items. Not sure about Flaneur because it really has been there for several years, and doesn't do a lot of takeaway and if I included that I'd have to consider the food halls which I don't really want to; also Terroni has gone way downhill. Maybe Gazzano...

And anyplace in your 'hood that you think shouldn't be missed but if it doesn't get more foot traffic it may shut down...

I will be visiting all venues that seem viable so if anyone wants to join me at odd hours during the day this week...

I just passed a russian foodplace on Queensway just past Royal China. (can you guess where I was going for lunch?) Not really a deli and it was mainly canned and bottled food but certainly a different ethinicity...

The latest Time Out Restaurant guide has a new section on shops, leafing through you might want to consult that one.

There's the new Korean supermarket in CentrePoint too and I work just round the corner from there so if you fancy a trip there, give me a shout.

Rococco have opened a new branch in Marylebone which I hadn't clocked, but that might be old news.

I can think of the following in Islington that you didn't mention:

Olga Stores, Italian, on (I think) Penton Street at the back of Chapel Market

Euphorium, bakery, in Chapel Market and on Upper Street (not sure this really counts)

Erm, that's it.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

i cannot remember the name for the life of me, but there's a little shop opposite the back end of spitalfields (walking toward liverpool street from commericial road; its near that starf*cks, sorry starbucks, some cafe... this is vague and i apologize) they have lovely lovely stuff plus cheese from neal's yard. wine, small selection of take away goodies, assorted charcuterie, bits and bobs in boxes and jars. and get a homemade marshmellow. it might just change your life.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

i cannot remember the name for the life of me, but there's a little shop opposite the back end of spitalfields (walking toward liverpool street from commericial road; its near that starf*cks, sorry starbucks, some cafe... this is vague and i apologize) they have lovely lovely stuff plus cheese from neal's yard. wine, small selection of take away goodies, assorted charcuterie, bits and bobs in boxes and jars. and get a homemade marshmellow. it might just change your life.

I think I know which one you mean. I haven't been there in ages. And yes, a homemade marshmallow could change my life just about now...

London honey,It's pricey but extremely good.

London honey? Is this the stuff that comes from the bee boxes (don't know the technical name) in Regent's Park? I think the company are called something like 'The Urban Honey Collective' - or was that a 90s indie band?

I bought some of their stuff at Borough about a year ago - a huge glob of honeycomb oozing with the best honey I have EVER tasted. I was completely shocked that London bees (whose bodies I always imagined were coated in a layer of exhaust fumes) could produce something as incredible as that. I'm dying to get more of it but they don't seem to be at Borough any longer.

The honey which I bought was cut straight from the frames of the hive.

It comes from Barnes and is about £25 per kilo, which works out at about £2.50 for a good size piece of honeycomb.

It is quite intense, though not a dark honey; I like chewing the wax.

There are numerous supposed health benefits for eating local honey (allergies, hayfever, asthma etc.) but I like it because it's from just round the corner and tastes nice.

If memory serves, honey is seasonal so the Borough guy - I think he is is Steve Benbow, of London Rooftop Beekeepers - may only bee there :-) in the spring/summer. There's also an specific honey called London

Rooftop Honey, which l'Artisan du Chocolat used in one of their choccies last year...

There's a nice Thai deli near me in Shepherd's Bush, <a href=http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/goodfoodstores/s_0000000179.asp>Sri Thai</a>, which sells holy basil, lime leaves, fish balls, and all sorts of stuff I know nothing about. Ooh yes and excellent fresh Thai curry pastes for the lazy like me.

Sticking close to home there's also a huge Syrian deli that people seem to drive miles to get to, <a href=http://www.fly.co.uk/damian/archives/2003/08/damas_gate.html>Damas Gate</a>. I think Nigella plugged them once upon a time before she left the neighborhood.

• 2 months later...

The Thai place on Chepstow road W2, just by Westbourne Grove has a prepared food section that is really excellent. They are selling mostly to Thais from the look of it, and they have this nam prik kapi (spicy shrimp past dip) that is so good that just describing it gives me a strong urge to drive their RIGHT NOW and buy some. Bye.

I made a special effort to go and check out the new "deli" that's opened on the site of the Sugar Club. I'm sorry to report that rather than a deli it's basically selling reheatable meals in fancy plastic bags. If you've been into Selfridges food halls and seen "The Grocer" ready-meals, it's the same stuff. They also have a few bits of cake in the window, but as I'd just been standing in a 20 long queue for Neil's Yard cheese I was too dispirited to do anything but look through the window, sigh and trudge off home.