• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The celebrity maitre d'

Gifted Gourmet

no one has ever called me the lauren-weisberger of the restaurant industry. my book is no DEVIL WEARS CHEF'S WHITES or anything even remotely crazy like that. frankly, i take a little umbrage at that word "traitorous" in that NY Post thingie up there. but whatever.

please by all means take a look and feel free to judge for yourselves

Abbe, your book is a great inspirational accomplishment. Books like "Devil..." or "Nanny Diaries" or even yes, "Kitchen Confidential" can't compare with what you have done.

I think it's a shame that there are some people in the business that can't/won't be more supportive of you, but if I were you I would take it as a compliment. It's all just politics and probably jealousy.

abbe, didn't realize it was a diary.  getting the book and looking forward to reading about your experiences.  and see what exactly JG's panties are in a twist about...

aww thank you so much, madziast

and i'm sorry-- i didn't mean to snap at you in my response up there i hope i didn't sound snippy. but i guess i do get a little sensitive about the whole "rat" and "traitor" thing

are you a JG fan, generally? (i know you're from NY because i vaguely recall something about Matsuri you posted once)

well i hope you enjoy it and i really would love to get your opinion once you're done.

as long as it's favorable

just kidding :smile:

Books like "Devil..." or "Nanny Diaries" or even yes, "Kitchen Confidential" can't compare with what you have done.

hahahahahahhahahahaaa mrreeeoooooowwwwwwrrrrrr !

easy there killer

[:wub:]

Edited by abbe (log)

i'm sorry-- i didn't mean to snap at you in my response up there i hope i didn't sound snippy. but i guess i do get a little sensitive about the whole "rat" and "traitor" thing

are you a JG fan, generally? (i know you're from NY because i vaguely recall something about Matsuri you posted once)

well i hope you enjoy it and i really would love to get your opinion once you're done.

as long as it's favorable

just kidding :smile:

apology accepted - needed a bit of smacking, i guess, making comments on something i only read ABOUT

am i a JG fan? not really... but i did carry his truffle for a couple of hours once ha ha (and phil's, and sb else's..god knows how many ppl owned that one poor truffle). never got what it was all about (well, getting ass kissed while throwing around big $$ is as far as i got), but it's probably because a) i tried his food well after he became this global food/corp warrior (and market in paris SUCKS, if you ask me. on the other hand, Vong in London kicked ass the way Pierre Schultz never could...too bad it's gone. good for Gordon Ramsey though) and b) i'm not remotely famous (infamous is a whole other ball game, he he). i'm sure he is very talented but i'm disappointed that most customers don't get to experience much magic.

i happened to pass by spice market the first or second night it was open and ended up at the kitchen counter with gray kunz cooking for our little group, while JG was squiring VIPs up and down, barely swinging by the kitchen. not that we cared - it was a fantastic meal (much more so than the meal at cafe gray the other night, by the way)

matsuri - i know it's your local and i still need to get there. i swear every time i try, something happens. last time it was ono that one of us insisted on checking out and making the rest walk from matsuri (!!!) ono was mostly mediocre and highly annoying but the foie part of fire & ice and the mushroom custard were excellent. sadly, it can't be said about the rest of the menu or the disgusting cocktails. the time before that was a lunch sb invited me to but neglected to check whether the place was open so we ended up at la bottega instead... before that a Japanese friend refused to go there after having a bad experience... etc. etc. guess i'll have to tag along one of these days he he i did like his food at Sono, and the cherry blossom martinis, mmm......

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

am i a JG fan? not really... but i did carry his truffle for a couple of hours once ha ha (and phil's, and sb else's..god knows how many ppl owned that one poor truffle).  never got what it was all about (well, getting ass kissed while throwing around big $$ is as far as i got), but it's probably because a) i tried his food well after he became this global food/corp warrior (and market in paris SUCKS, if you ask me.  on the other hand, Vong in London kicked ass the way Pierre Schultz never could...too bad it's gone.  good for Gordon Ramsey though) and b) i'm not remotely famous (infamous is a whole other ball game, he he).  i'm sure he is very talented but i'm disappointed that most customers don't get to experience much magic. 

wow. i think that is one of the most insightful things i have ever heard anyone say about him. i mean maybe it's a pervasive sentiment, but it's rarely expressed. and not so articulately

i happened to pass by spice market the first or second night it was open and ended up at the kitchen counter with gray kunz cooking for our little group

i'm jealous.

matsuri - i know it's your local and i still need to get there.  i swear every time i try, something happens.  last time it was ono that one of us insisted on checking out and making the rest walk from matsuri (!!!) ono was mostly mediocre and highly annoying but the foie part of fire & ice and the mushroom custard were excellent. sadly,  it can't be said about the rest of the menu or the disgusting cocktails. 

yes i love Matsuri. lots of people dislike it, though-- it's just kind of one of those places i guess.

still have to try Ono. i must say my two bar visits didn't exactly entice me to dinner

the time before that was a lunch sb invited me to but neglected to check whether the place was open so we ended up at la bottega instead... before that a Japanese friend refused to go there after having a bad experience... etc. etc.  guess i'll have to tag along one of these days  he he

oh that would be great ! but i have to warn you i tend to force all my acquaintances to buy multiple copies of my book (they make great gifts!) through persistent harassment.

please by all means feel free to e-mail me and i will let you know what nights i am there which is pretty much like all the time

V,MC,AX

:smile: