• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston Remembers

fifi

Magic Pan is ringing a bell but I can't place it. Anyone remember what they served? Why the pan was magic?

The Magic Pan was in the Galleria Mall. The pan was magic because they made crepes. It wasn't particularly good - I remember some awful chicken crepes.

Back in my day, it was a real treat for my mom to drop me off at the Galleria so I could go ice skating. Was there a Swenson's Ice Cream parlor there? In addition to the ice cream and shopping at Spencer's Gifts for junk, we would go to what I guess was a Mikimoto Pearl store and you could pay a $1 to have them open an oyster to see if you got a pearl. That was right up there with the mini loaves of Mrs. Baird's bread I would buy at Astroworld!

• 1 month later...

After having some awful dumplings for lunch, I had to post to this topic.

I miss Ta Hua's steamed vegetable and steamed pork dumplings. Cheap, filling, tasty.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe