• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gas vs. Electric Ovens

halland

I'm going back and forth, trying to decide whether to sell my 60-year-old classic Chambers range 133686413_c3ceef8990.jpg, and get a dual-fuel.

my considerations:

I can't spend more than around $2K, so I've been looking at the GE Profile 30"

the best home-made bread I've had is consistently produced in a gas range [Wolf] - just how much better is an electric oven - is it consistency of temperature? in what applications does the "moisture" content of gas make a difference? does it just boil down to the expertise and finesse of the user?

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on utility bills - but I'm not so sure that conventional wisdom about gas being cheaper will continue to be true, post-Katrina, or even farther down the road - what about solar power or wind power - any problems with a resistive device such as an electric oven

I want to be ecologically conscious if I can

the interior of my Chambers doesn't lend itself well to half-sheet pans lying flat on the racks [18x18x12]

I have a Cadco commercial convection countertop model which holds three quarter-sheet pans

the broiler on the Chambers is somewhat small - if you watch Rachel Ray, you've seen it - and I tend to broil a lot of meat and fish [mostly single servings], but I don't know much about the broilers on the dual-fuels, versus what a new gas broiler would be if I got a single-fuel [gas, of course] model

I like the retro look of the Chambers, and know that once I give it up, I'll never find one as cheap as this one was

Such a personal decision - any thoughts?

edit: after thinking about what I wrote, I remembered the main reason I had gotten the Cadco - it takes forever to heat up the oven in the Chambers, and once it's heated, and cooking is over, the residual heat takes another forever to dissipate - far too long for our hot Austin summers, so I will be replacing the Chambers.

But I'm still back to the need for a dual fuel, and even taking into account Dave's comments re: the grates holding residual heat from the burners, am not ready to give up a gas cooktop. So help wonderbread and I out with the decision about what type of oven. I would use the oven for all types of food: braises, roasts, breads, desserts....

Before you get rid of the Chambers, check out this company that restores vintage stoves. Antique ranges are quite valuable. The range displayed looks just like yours. There's even a new high speed burner that can be installed to deal with the oven problem; also, new oven racks are available, upgrades to meet codes, etc. I would recommend contacting them to learn more about their services and whether there is someone in your area that could do the work.

I've been debating the same issue as you because I own two antique ranges, one is a 19th century wood cook stove (currently stored in my garage) and the other is a combination gas/wood stove with two ovens (one gas, one wood) that I currently use, but it needs major restoration. I salivate over brand new pro-style ranges in the stores, then realize that my stove, restored, would sell for no less than $4,000. You will be amazed at the value of your Chambers.

Edited by Beanie (log)

Ilene

To anyone who mentioned broiling....remember on a gas oven the broiler is way way down on the bottom. Like sit on the floor to cook, on the bottom.

Just a thought

tracey

want a dual-fuel me-self

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

To anyone who mentioned broiling....remember on a gas oven the broiler is way way down on the bottom. Like sit on the floor to cook, on the bottom.

Just a thought

tracey

want a dual-fuel me-self

Not true for all gas ovens. Nowadays, some (or most?) have a broiler on the top of the oven which is essentially a single burner with a shield mounted at the roof of the oven. The top burner is only on when the oven is set to 'broil' and typically have two settings: high and low. My quibble with the cheap-ass Maytag I used is that the flame pattern was quite skinny so you really had to be careful how you oriented food under the broiler.

edit: clarity

Edited by slbunge (log)

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I also was told (by the salesman) that electric ovens work better for baking.  None of my cookbooks mention this.  I purchased a gas range a couple of years ago.  It is much better than my old electric range.  My baking has never been better.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Sears is having a spring sale right now - 20% cashback after mail-in rebate if you buy 3 appliances, so I'm getting close to making a decision.

I'm hoping not to have to shell out an extra $500 for a duel-fuel. Also heard that with the smooth ceramic electric cooktops that the pots spin when you stir them unless you hold them with your other hand. Anyone have experience with this?

Francois - do you have a convection gas oven?

Edited by wonderbread (log)

The reason I like gas stoves is they work in a black-out.

But not if you have electric starters :rolleyes:

Also heard that with the smooth ceramic electric cooktops that the pots spin when you stir them unless you hold them with your other hand. Anyone have experience with this?

Francois - do you have a convection gas oven?

If the bottom of the pot is rounded it will spin. But not otherwise that I ever noticed. If there's moisture under there the pans will dance across the cooktop though.

Thanks for everyone's advice on the subject - I was thinking about going with the electric ceramic range, then the saleswoman at Sears said that the surface wears out quickly if I do a lot of stir-frying. That was a deal breaker for me.

I ordered a Kenmore gas range. Decided not to get a convection oven because other convection owners said the fan is pretty noisy.

I will report back with how the baking turns out when the range arrives! Thanks again.

Very nice choice...its even "kosher"

I do so want an oven with a window...I want to see my bread spring to life

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 years later...

We just expanded to a former pizza shop to offer market fresh sandwiches/soups and boxed lunch catering.

There are fryers, so will also be doing chicken fingers, fish, etc.

anyway, there's natural gas in the place from the y600's that were removed.

i am going to need to run several 220v circuits up to the front anyway (for a soft serve machine) and i'm torn between using a Gas or Electric oven.

I really have no experience (am a BBQ/pit guy).

I know we may bake some bread and/or other deserts. May need to cook big pans of beans/rice/green beans for catering.

I'm getting a CVAP cook n hold so am running power for it too.

I guess I'm looking for someone to help steer me and tell me the questions I should be asking? I'm purchasing used so its easy enough to get a gas convection oven or a electric one.

I don't anticipate these being used all the time, and certainly not left on all day.

Oh, am getting 2 Turbochef C3's but those are pretty small on inside space. Those are for some retherm items plus toasting sandwiches, nachos, etc.

thanks for any advice

jaymer...