• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictures from the Competition

joiei

This is my first attempt at not only taking photos of food, but also posting them to the egullet galleries. I would definitely appreciate any constructive criticism. I know that a couple of pictures are double posted, but I could not figure out how to delete the doubles.

The awards will not be until tomorrow, Sunday, Oct 10. I will try to designate which ones were the winners.

Here is the link - 2004 Oklahoma State Sugar Arts competition

There were a lot of pieces that I did not shoot. And the pictures represent an overview of not only masters entries, but subcatagory entries also. As soon as I figure them out, i will try to note on the photos which catagory they are in.

egullet member Kerry Vincent organizes this show every year and I think it is a pretty massive job that she does for Sugar Artists.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

:laugh:

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Wendy, it is my pleasure. I finally broke down and bought a camera and a nifty little device that makes transfering the pictures from the digital cards very easy. No plugging in the camera.

Plus, the event was excellent. There were students there from the Texas Culinary institute even.

Oh, I don't know...I rather like this tribute to Malevsky and the Constructivists...

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/10973659..._1097367484.jpg

(not poking fun at you, joiei...I've just spent too much time with art textbooks...)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Wow, just some amazing work there. And while I might not choose one of those cakes for myself, or even want to create something like that (the Addams family cake comes to mind), the level of detail and amount of skill and time that goes into creating these pieces is just mind-boggling.

As for that "jar of pickled peppers cake," just how do they get the cake to look transparent?? :huh::wacko::wink::biggrin:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Thanks for sharing the photos! It's greatly appreciated by those of us that couldn't go.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I am in complete and utter awe.

Okay, I've got a question I have always wanted to ask. What do you do with the pieces after the show?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe