• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick Question

First thank you for your time. I have been a fan for years and have given your

books as gifts to many friends and family, saves me from having to bake for

them lol.

My question is about the pizza thats pictured on the cover of American Pie.

looks like we have quail eggs and arugula but what else?

Thanks

First thank you for your time. I have been a fan for years and have given your

books as gifts to many friends and family, saves me from having to bake for

them lol.

My question is about the pizza thats pictured on the cover of American Pie.

looks like we have quail eggs and arugula but what else?

Thanks

Good question. That was a pizza baked at Pizzetta 211 in San Francisco, modeled on a classic Italian pizza on which whole eggs are baked sunnyside up (pizza con uova). Sometimes it's just dough, olive oil, eggs, and maybe some parm. cheese. But eggs can be added to any number of other pizzas as well. On the Pizzetta 211 pizza I think they included some oven roasted tomatoes and fresh arugula (added after the bake), and coarse pepper and salt. Basically, feel free to add an egg or three to almost any pizza that you think it will complement (I wouldn't put it on a sauce and cheese pizza, but mostly only white (bianca) pizzas). The eggs were regular chicken eggs, but quail eggs sound great too!