• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where To Go For Sunday Girl's Night?

Free Wilma

We're a bunch of late-30s married moms who are dying to dine out without our precious children. We're gathering for a post-childbirth celebration honoring our dear friend. One friend is pushing for Lauriol Plaza and I'm trying desperately to find a suitable alternative. We want lively, but not loud. Good food that won't break the grocery budget....and all on a Sunday evening. We're in Alexandria but are very happy to travel into DC.

What are the atmosphere and prices like at Colvin Run Tavern (website is pretty vague)? And what's the atmosphere at Mendocino Grill? I'm definitely keeping Firefly and Cafe Atlantico in mind by was sorta hoping to go somewhere I hadn't been before. It may be a little cool on Sunday evening but outdoor seating is always a big bonus.

TIA.

I applaud you for trying to find an alternative to L.P. Unfortunately, for Mexican, I wouldn't know where to recommend in DC -- but I love Guajillo (mmm...ceviche). Places like Zaytinya and Jaleo (tapas) were made for lively groups, and present a good value. The former has some nice outdoor seating.

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

We ended up at Zaytinya, which was perfect. Only one of our group had ever been before and everyone loved it. We ended up having the six-week-old along for girls night and the staff was very accomodating in giving us a roomy corner table where he could just sleep the evening away. The only (very slight) downside is it's a little loud when you want to just chat and laugh with the your dining partners. But had the baby been fussy at all (which he wasn't), it wouldn't have been awkward. Thanks for the input and ideas!

Edited by Free Wilma (log)