• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Restaurant in the ID

I've started working near the ID again and would love to try more of the restaurants here.

My friend suggested Chinese for lunch next week but when I asked her where she shrugged. Of course we can wander and try any old place but I know you all have your favorites!!

Looking forward to your suggestions for restaurants and the things they do that make them special!

Thanks!

I would recommend 7 Stars Pepper at 12th and Jackson. Definately try a dish with the Hand-shaved noodle (my favorite is the Dan-Dan Noodles.). I have had many wondeful meals there, and is the most requested when i have friends and family come into town.

Ditto on 7 Stars Pepper. Also, Sichuanese Cuisine at 12th & Jackson (in the Asian Plaza). Really good and very cheap. How about Malay Satay Hut? How about banh mi?

I also really like Ga Ga Loc, Shanghai Garden, ABC Seafood (not sure about that name), Tropics, and Ho Ho Seafood. AVOID Purple Dot Cafe.

Edited to add: Pho at Pho Bac is good. Also see recent thread about Takohachi.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I second/third the wonderful suggestions of the previous posts. My current favorites in ID are

Szechwan Noodle Bowl on 8th between Jackson and King on the East side of the street next to I-5, accross the street (sort of) House of Hong. It is an informal place where they hand roll their dumpling wrappers and make their own (thick udon-style) noodles. They have a small menu. They have great cold side dishes in their glass upright refrigerater i.e. cooked peanuts, marinated kelp shreds, soybean spouts. The ladies that run it are friendly.

I love the way they do noodles at Ga Ga Loc. I have been known to drive from Tacoma late in the evenings for crispy fried Hong Kong style noodles. I also like the chili sauce that they have on the tables.

My other favorite is the Tropics (on Weller) $5.00 special Mon - Fri, 2:00 to 5:00 pm where you can get an entree and beverage. I like their pad thai. Almost always, I order that and the Thai tea. They also have a duck entree of some sort for those of you who like duck.

Do you like congee?

"Mike's Noodle House" has great congee.

I like their rock cod congee.

Green Village Express also has cheap good food although they tend to be a bit greasy.

Around the corner on Weller and 6th/7th is Cantonese Noodle House which has good Wonton noodles. I like their shrimp/pork wonton noodles.

Sichuanese Cuisine on Jackson and slightly before 12th Ave has great food.

Love their fried spicy beef noodles.

MMMMMMMMMMM!!! Seven Stars Pepper was fantastic! And we were very happy that we walked from Pioneer Square cause we needed to burn that food off!

We had the dan dan with hand shaved noodles- this was excellent, although there is quite a bit on my shirt! grrrr! :angry: The flavor was just perfect and the noodles were really good. I was worried when she told us it was going to be really spicy but it wasn't.

Also had the steamed pork dumplings- I actually didn't like these. The dumpling was really thick and there was a weird (to me) flavor that my mouth wasn't happy with.

Szechwan (sp) chicken, excellent!! just the right amount of spice, so tastely!!! over a bit of white rice.

I will definately be back here, I want to try the scallion pancake and a bunch of their other entrees. On the special board they had szechwan crab. Service was so nice and we have leftovers for tomorrow lunch!

Thanks again so much you guys, I'm going to try some of the other recommendations too! I'll just work my way down the thread. :smile:

Wendy

lmf - the crab is wicked good. the scallion pancake (and leek pancake) are ok - not the best i've had, but certainly good. the crab is insane though. i agree with all the other posts wrt suggestions - check out bahn mi threads too - there's a fried egg place across the street from the union station complex...heart cloggingly good.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Yum, I see a couple of my favorite places have been mentioned. Autumn definitely calls for a bowl of soup noodles or congee. Mike's and Canton Wonton House really hit the spot. The best, in my opinion, though, is Phnom Penh at 6th & King. They're Cambodian, not Chinese, but their noodles are sublime. Try the Fisherman's bowl. Good tea, too.

I stumbled across in new-looking restaurant last week, which I think was called Congee Noodle or something like that. Lots of blue on the front. I think it's up the street from Ocean City. Big menu of noodle soups & congee. Had a really nice bowl of Siu Kau & noodle soup - a great deal at $4.50. I saw some delicious-looking bbq duck on some other diners' tables - gotta have it when I go back.

There is a vietnamese place in the same complex as 7 Stars but on the ground level. It is not the place closer to the street that says they have Vietnamese and Thai, its the other Vietnamese place. I can edit in the name tonight.

Hal

There is a vietnamese place in the same complex as 7 Stars but on the ground level.  It is not the place closer to the street that says they have Vietnamese and Thai, its the other Vietnamese place.  I can edit in the name tonight.

Hal

Maybe Huong Binh?

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

LainerX and I had lunch at Takohachi yesterday, and the saba shioyaki is to die for. It comes with your choice of steamed rice, curry rice, or fried rice. My husband recently couldn't stop talking about the fried rice, which I never usually order, so I got it. OH MY GOD. It's better than any fried rice I've ever had, mostly due to the very generous amount of BACON. And the mackerel was stunning.

We had a lot of fun reading the little posters on the wall that have descriptions of some of the dishes on their menu. Our favorite quote was "You can make your own hotness," which we thought might be a good headline for the cover of Cosmo or Maxim. :biggrin:

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I love the way they do noodles at Ga Ga Loc.  I have been known to drive from Tacoma late in the evenings for crispy fried Hong Kong style noodles.  I also like the chili sauce that they have on the tables. 

OMG, I would willingly travel across galaxies to have good crispy Hong Kong style noodles. This is HIGH on my list now. Thanks White Lotus!

Born Free, Now Expensive

Try the seafood fried noodles(Hong Kong crispy style) at Jade Garden in the ID.

The servings are very generous and relatively cheap.

Very tasty too!

On the Eastside, the same kind of seafood fried noodles can be found at Cafe Ori.

Used to go there all the time when I was working on the eastside.

OMG, I would willingly travel across galaxies to have good crispy Hong Kong style noodles. This is HIGH on my list now. Thanks White Lotus!

LainerX and I had lunch at Takohachi yesterday, and the saba shioyaki is to die for.  It comes with your choice of steamed rice, curry rice, or fried rice.  My husband recently couldn't stop talking about the fried rice, which I never usually order, so I got it.  OH MY GOD.  It's better than any fried rice I've ever had, mostly due to the very generous amount of BACON.  And the mackerel was stunning.

We had a lot of fun reading the little posters on the wall that have descriptions of some of the dishes on their menu.  Our favorite quote was "You can make your own hotness," which we thought might be a good headline for the cover of Cosmo or Maxim.    :biggrin:

Yes, agreed about the fried rice. Being a white rice lover (don't even like the fried rice of my people), I was skeptical for ages about it and never ordered it. Then after a few years I took a chance and found myself transported to Bacon Heaven at first mouthful.

I like their posters too. The hotness one's cool, and so is the one which advertises "Vitamins! Calcium!". :biggrin:

And said hotness is actually very good. The hot sauce they serve with all of their nabe is the same one used to pickle their kimchi, I love it. Hot, garlicky and a little nutty. Mmmm, mouth watering...

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

• 2 weeks later...

Seven Star Pepper again today. We actually set out for Bahn mi up on 12th and Jackson but we are dumb and didn't realize that these are very small little deli's without seating. We wanted to sit down and eat after out 12 block hike up from pioneer square.

So across the street we went, very excited after our last lunch there. We had the leek pancakes which were very good (big!), the pork chow mein with hand shaved noodles on the recommendation of our waitress and the crab!!

Holy crap! Our food was really good! The crab was the whole thing! I know you are all saying "Of course it was!" but we didn't know what to expect. It rocked! Really spicy but in a good way, mmmmm! Now lets talk about the chow mein with those noodles. Yeah, I think that is my favorite so far. There were no leftovers of that!!!

And it was very inexpensive for all that food!

Ok now that we know what kick's ass we are going to branch out and try some others.

:biggrin:

• 1 month later...
LainerX and I had lunch at Takohachi yesterday, and the saba shioyaki is to die for.  It comes with your choice of steamed rice, curry rice, or fried rice.  My husband recently couldn't stop talking about the fried rice, which I never usually order, so I got it.  OH MY GOD.  It's better than any fried rice I've ever had, mostly due to the very generous amount of BACON.  And the mackerel was stunning.

We had a lot of fun reading the little posters on the wall that have descriptions of some of the dishes on their menu.  Our favorite quote was "You can make your own hotness," which we thought might be a good headline for the cover of Cosmo or Maxim.    :biggrin:

I've been dying to try the bacon fried rice since you posted this, Ms. Ramsey, and I'm both thankful and rueful I actually got the chance to experience it yesterday. Thankful because it is damn good. Rueful because despite its richness, most assuredly, we shall return.

We had the Tori-Kari (fried chicken nuggets, essentially) and I had the tori-kari and pork katsu combination dinner. Each came with tsukemono (kimchi, in our case), miso soup, salad and our choice of rice. The portions were huge, but somehow we managed to finish the majority of the items brought to us. The fried chicken and pork were both excellent - the chicken being very light and not at all greasy, and the pork was perfectly breaded, again very lightly fried. Both meat selections were extremely juicy and flavorful (and the small leftovers of both remain juicy and flavorful the next morning). And the rice - sublime. Words cannot describe how good that rice is. Maybe it's because I haven't eaten rice in so long. It was buttery, accented with onions and carrots and generous portions of bacon. I ate it all. And some of my husband's.

The miso was okay, and the salad was a little strange. It was, essentially, shredded cabbage, a little lettuce, some creamy mayo dressing, and a criss-cross of two thinly sliced pieces of ham covering the entire dome of salad. Doesn't that sound strange? Well, it was. But I ate it anyway.

Despite all the rich food, I didn't leave with a coating of oil inside my mouth. Gotta love that. Husband and I were the only non-Japanese customers there last night, and it was pretty full at 6:30. I love the pictures on the walls of the different menu selections - also noting, and chuckling over, the fact that I can "make my own hotness". Everything is super affordable (nothing over $9, it seems), portions are generous, food is great and the service is brisk and attentive. Definitely going back.

• 2 weeks later...

I was craving that fried rice that was recommended by Kathy, so we went to try Takahachi for lunch today, but it was closed :sad: . They are not open on Sat. for lunch. Darn, next time I will try during the week.

So we next walked over to Kau Kau Barbeque restaurant at 656 South King St. I have had take out from there several times (they are my favorite Chinese barbeque take out), but this is the first time we've sat in their dining room.

Lunch deals here are great at only $4.99.

My husband ordered their famous roast duck, which is chopped Chinese style into portions w/cleaver, and it was served with a sweet plum? sauce for dipping. The bird was moist and flavorful, nicely spiced (probably 5 spice?).

I ordered the roast side of pork, which was portions of chinese style roasted pork belly, chopped w/cleaver, natch, very moist and yummy with crisp crackling, and some sliced portions of leaner pork ie. typical barbeque type roast pork which were also pretty moist and came with a Chinese mustard and sesame seeds to dip in.

Both lunch entrees came with egg drop soup w/ Chinese mushroom and some crunchy bits of water chestnut. Entrees included a couple pieces of properly cooked broccoli, as well a huge mound of the most delicious pork fried rice I've had in ages. They were generous with the pork bits, it was the same pork as from my roast side of pork, shreds of fried egg, and a scattering of bean sprouts to add some light crunch to it.

Service and food were very good (although the meat was just a tad salty) but I am looking forward to going back. On the way out, I read they now pack and ship UPS from their barbeque take out, and roast whole Pig, too, if I read correctly. Yum.

I'm also anxious now to see how the fried rice at Takahachi compares to the one I liked at Kau Kau...

We finished the afternoon with a stroll through Uwagimaya and PFI to pick up stocking stuffer gifts for Christmas. :biggrin:

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

• 3 weeks later...
I stumbled across in new-looking restaurant last week, which I think was called Congee Noodle or something like that.  Lots of blue on the front.  I think it's up the street from Ocean City.  Big menu of noodle soups & congee.  Had a really nice bowl of Siu Kau & noodle soup - a great deal at $4.50.  I saw some delicious-looking bbq duck on some other diners' tables - gotta have it when I go back.

Stopped in at Congee Noodle the other day for a soup fix. Wish I'd seen this thread and all the great recommendations first, :sad: but there is always another day. Congee Noodle is next door to Ho Ho, across the street from the Tai Tung parking lot (forget which street that is). We both had Congee--didn't try the noodles like Susansea, and maybe we should have. The Congee was lukewarm, very bland, not much of the featured meats and goodies. The BBQ comes from the place next door (actually connected) but I didn't catch the name.

Now I want to try Takehachi....

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Sea fish in my local supermarket

In the past I've started a few topics focusing on categorised food types I find in China. I’ve done

Mushrooms and Fungi in China

Chinese Vegetables Illustrated

Sugar in China

Chinese Herbs and Spices

Chinese Pickles and Preserves

Chinese Hams.

I’ve enjoyed doing them as I learn a lot and I hope that some people find them useful or just interesting.

One I’ve always resisted doing is Fish etc in China. Although it’s interesting and I love fish, it just felt too complicated. A lot of the fish and other marine animals I see here, I can’t identify, even if I know the local name. The same species may have different names in different supermarkets or wet markets. And, as everywhere, a lot of fish is simply mislabelled, either out of ignorance or plain fraud.

However, I’ve decided to give it a go.

I read that 60% of fish consumed in China is freshwater fish. I doubt that figure refers to fresh fish though. In most of China only freshwater fish is available. Seawater fish doesn’t travel very far inland. It is becoming more available as infrastructure improves, but it’s still low. Dried seawater fish is used, but only in small quantities as is frozen food in general. I live near enough the sea to get fresh sea fish, but 20 years ago when I lived in Hunan I never saw it. Having been brought up yards from the sea, I sorely missed it.

I’ll start with the freshwater fish. Today, much of this is farmed, but traditionally came from lakes and rivers, as much still does. Most villages in the rural parts have their village fish pond. By far the most popular fish are the various members of the carp family with 草鱼 (cǎo yú) - Ctenopharyngodon idella - Grass Carp being the most raised and consumed. These (and the other freshwater fish) are normally sold live and every supermarket, market (and often restaurants) has ranks of tanks holding them.

Supermarket Freshwater Fish Tanks

You point at the one you want and the server nets it out. In markets, super or not, you can either take it away still wriggling or, if you are squeamish, the server will kill, descale and gut it for you. In restaurants, the staff often display the live fish to the table before cooking it.

These are either steamed with aromatics – garlic, ginger, scallions and coriander leaf / cilantro being common – or braised in a spicy sauce or, less often, a sweet and sour sauce or they are simply fried. It largely depends on the region.

Note that, in China, nearly all fish is served head on and on-the-bone.

草鱼 (cǎo yú) - Ctenopharyngodon idella - grass carp

More tomorrow.
    • By liuzhou
      Big Plate Chicken - 大盘鸡 (dà pán jī)

This very filling dish of chicken and potato stew is from Xinjiang province in China's far west, although it is said to have been invented by a visitor from Sichuan. In recent years, it has become popular in cities across China, where it is made using a whole chicken which is chopped, with skin and on the bone, into small pieces suitable for easy chopstick handling. If you want to go that way, any Asian market should be able to chop the bird for you. Otherwise you may use boneless chicken thighs instead.

Ingredients

Chicken chopped on the bone or Boneless skinless chicken thighs  6

Light soy sauce

Dark soy sauce

Shaoxing wine

Cornstarch or similar. I use potato starch.

Vegetable oil (not olive oil)

Star anise, 4

Cinnamon, 1 stick

Bay leaves, 5 or 6

Fresh ginger, 6 coin sized slices

Garlic.  5 cloves, roughly chopped

Sichuan peppercorns,  1 tablespoon

Whole dried red chillies,   6 -10  (optional). If you can source the Sichuan chiles known as Facing Heaven Chiles, so much the better.

Potatoes 2 or 3 medium sized. peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces

Carrot. 1,  thinly sliced

Dried wheat noodles.  8 oz. Traditionally, these would be a long, flat thick variety. I've use Italian tagliatelle successfully.    

Red bell pepper. 1 cut into chunks

Green bell pepper, 1 cut into chunks

Salt

Scallion, 2 sliced.

Method

First, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and marinate in 1½ teaspoons light soy sauce, 3 teaspoons of Shaoxing and 1½ teaspoons of cornstarch. Set aside for about twenty minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

Heat the wok and add three tablespoons cooking oil. Add the ginger, garlic, star anise, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, Sichuan peppercorns and chilies. Fry on a low heat for a  minute or so. If they look about to burn, splash a little water into your wok. This will lower the temperature slightly. Add the chicken and turn up the heat. Continue frying until the meat is nicely seared, then add the potatoes and carrots. Stir fry a minute more then add 2 teaspoons of the dark soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of the light soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of the Shaoxing wine along with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium. Cover and cook for around 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are done.

While the main dish is cooking, cook the noodles separately according to the packet instructions.  Reserve  some of the noodle cooking water and drain.

When the chicken and potatoes are done, you may add a little of the noodle water if the dish appears on the dry side. It should be saucy, but not soupy. Add the bell peppers and cook for three to four minutes more. Add scallions. Check seasoning and add some salt if it needs it. It may not due to the soy sauce and, if in the USA, Shaoxing wine.

Serve on a large plate for everyone to help themselves from. Plate the noodles first, then cover with the meat and potato. Enjoy.

• By liuzhou
      Way back in the 1990’s, I was living in west Hunan, a truly beautiful part of China. One day, some colleagues suggested we all go for lunch the next day, a Saturday. Seemed reasonable to me. I like a bit of lunch.

“OK. We’ll pick you up at 7 am.”

“Excuse me? 7 am for lunch?

“Yes. We have to go by car.”

Well, of course, they finally picked me up at 8.30, drove in circles for an hour trying to find the guy who knew the way, then headed off into the wilds of Hunan. We drove for hours, but the scenery was beautiful, and the thousand foot drops at the side of the crash barrier free road as we headed up the mountains certainly kept me awake.

After an eternity of bad driving along hair-raising roads which had this old atheist praying, we stopped at a run down shack in the middle of nowhere. I assumed that this was a temporary stop because the driver needed to cop a urination or something, but no. This was our lunch venue.

We shuffled into one of the two rooms the shack consisted of and I distinctly remember that one of my hosts took charge of the lunch ordering process.

“We want lunch for eight.” There was no menu.

The waitress, who was also the cook, scuttled away to the other room of the shack which was apparently a kitchen.

We sat there for a while discussing the shocking rise in bean sprout prices and other matters of national importance, then the first dish turned up. A pile of steaming hot meat surrounded by steaming hot chillies. It was delicious.

“What is this meat?” I asked.

About half of the party spoke some English, but my Chinese was even worse than it is now, so communications weren’t all they could be. There was a brief (by Chinese standards) meeting and they announced:

“It’s wild animal.”

Over the next hour or so, several other dishes arrived. They were all piles of steaming hot meat surrounded by steaming hot chillies, but the sauces and vegetable accompaniments varied. And all were very, very good indeed.

“What’s this one?” I ventured.

“A different wild animal.”

“And this?”

“Another wild animal.”

“And this?”

“A wild animal which is not the wild animal in the other dishes”

I wandered off to the kitchen, as you can do in rural Chinese restaurants, and inspected the contents of their larder, fridge, etc. No clues.

I returned to the table with a bit of an idea.

“Please write down the Chinese names of all these animals we have eaten. I will look in my dictionary when I get home.”

They looked at each other, consulted, argued and finally announced:

“Sorry! We don’t know in Chinese either. “

Whether that was true or just a way to get out of telling me what I had eaten, I’ll never know. I certainly wouldn’t be able to find the restaurant again.

This all took place way back in the days before digital cameras, so I have no illustrations from that particular meal. But I’m guessing one of the dishes was bamboo rat.

No pandas or tigers were injured in the making of this post

• By liuzhou
      Note: This follows on from the Munching with the Miao topic.

The three-hour journey north from Miao territory ended up taking four, as the driver missed a turning and we had to drive on to the next exit and go back. But our hosts waited for us at the expressway exit and led us up a winding road to our destination - Buyang 10,000 mu tea plantation (布央万亩茶园 bù yāng wàn mǔ chá yuán) The 'mu' is  a Chinese measurement of area equal to 0.07 of a hectare, but the 10,000 figure is just another Chinese way of saying "very large".

We were in Sanjiang Dong Autonomous County, where 57% of the inhabitants are Dong.

The Dong people (also known as the Kam) are noted for their tea, love of glutinous rice and their carpentry and architecture. And their hospitality. They tend to live at the foot of mountains, unlike the Miao who live in the mid-levels.

By the time we arrived, it was lunch time, but first we had to have a sip of the local tea. This lady did the preparation duty.

This was what we call black tea, but the Chinese more sensibly call 'red tea'. There is something special about drinking tea when you can see the bush it grew on just outside the window!

Then into lunch:

Chicken Soup

The ubiquitous Egg and Tomato

Dried fish with soy beans and chilli peppers. Delicious.

Stir fried lotus root

Daikon Radish

Rice Paddy Fish Deep Fried in Camellia Oil - wonderful with a smoky flavour, but they are not smoked.

Out of Focus Corn and mixed vegetable

Fried Beans

Steamed Pumpkin

Chicken

Beef with Bitter Melon

Glutinous (Sticky) Rice

Oranges

The juiciest pomelo ever. The area is known for the quality of its pomelos.

After lunch we headed out to explore the tea plantation.

Interspersed with the tea plants are these camellia trees, the seeds of which are used to make the Dong people's preferred cooking oil.

As we climbed the terraces we could hear singing and then came across this group of women. They are the tea pickers. It isn't tea picking time, but they came out in their traditional costumes to welcome us with their call and response music. They do often sing when picking. They were clearly enjoying themselves.

And here they are:

After our serenade we headed off again, this time to the east and the most memorable meal of the trip. Coming soon.

• By liuzhou
      It sometimes seems likes every town in China has its own special take on noodles. Here in Liuzhou, Guangxi the local dish is Luosifen (螺蛳粉 luó sī fěn).

It is a dish of rice noodles served in a very spicy stock made from the local river snails and pig bones which are stewed for hours with black cardamom, fennel seed, dried tangerine peel, cassia bark, cloves, pepper, bay leaf, licorice root, sand ginger, and star anise. Various pickled vegetables, dried tofu skin, fresh green vegetables, peanuts and loads of chilli are then usually added. Few restaurants ever reveal their precise recipe, so this is tentative. Luosifen is only really eaten in small restaurants and roadside stalls. I've never heard of anyone making it at home.

In order to promote tourism to the city, the local government organised a food festival featuring an event named "10,000 people eat luosifen together." (In Chinese 10,000 often just means "many".)

10,000 people (or a lot of people anyway) gathered at Liuzhou International Convention and Exhibition Centre for the grand Liuzhou luosifen eat-in. Well, they gathered in front of the centre – the actual centre is a bleak, unfinished, deserted shell of a building. I disguised myself as a noodle and joined them. 10,001.

The vast majority of the 10,000 were students from the local colleges who patiently and happily lined up to be seated. Hey, mix students and free food – of course they are happy.

Each table was equipped with a basket containing bottled water, a thermos flask of hot water, paper bowls, tissues etc. And most importantly, a bunch of Luosifen caps. These read “万人同品螺蛳粉” which means “10,000 people together enjoy luosifen”

Yep, that is the soup pot! 15 meters in diameter and holding eleven tons of stock. Full of snails and pork bones, spices etc. Chefs delicately added ingredients to achieve the precise, subtle taste required.

Noodles were distributed, soup added and dried ingredients incorporated then there was the sound of 10,000 people slurping.

Surrounding the luosifen eating area were several stalls selling different goodies. Lamb kebabs (羊肉串) seemed most popular, but there was all sorts of food. Here are few of the delights on offer.

Whole roast lamb or roast chicken

Lamb Kebabs

Kebab spice mix – Cumin, chilli powder, salt and MSG

Kebab stall

Crab

Different crab

Sweet sticky rice balls

Things on sticks

Grilled scorpions

Pig bones and bits

Snails

And much more.

To be honest, it wasn’t the best luosifen I’ve ever eaten, but it was wasn’t the worst. Especially when you consider the number they were catering for. But it was a lot of fun. Which was the point.