• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Restaurant in the ID

I've started working near the ID again and would love to try more of the restaurants here.

My friend suggested Chinese for lunch next week but when I asked her where she shrugged. Of course we can wander and try any old place but I know you all have your favorites!!

Looking forward to your suggestions for restaurants and the things they do that make them special!

Thanks!

I would recommend 7 Stars Pepper at 12th and Jackson. Definately try a dish with the Hand-shaved noodle (my favorite is the Dan-Dan Noodles.). I have had many wondeful meals there, and is the most requested when i have friends and family come into town.

Ditto on 7 Stars Pepper. Also, Sichuanese Cuisine at 12th & Jackson (in the Asian Plaza). Really good and very cheap. How about Malay Satay Hut? How about banh mi?

I also really like Ga Ga Loc, Shanghai Garden, ABC Seafood (not sure about that name), Tropics, and Ho Ho Seafood. AVOID Purple Dot Cafe.

Edited to add: Pho at Pho Bac is good. Also see recent thread about Takohachi.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I second/third the wonderful suggestions of the previous posts. My current favorites in ID are

Szechwan Noodle Bowl on 8th between Jackson and King on the East side of the street next to I-5, accross the street (sort of) House of Hong. It is an informal place where they hand roll their dumpling wrappers and make their own (thick udon-style) noodles. They have a small menu. They have great cold side dishes in their glass upright refrigerater i.e. cooked peanuts, marinated kelp shreds, soybean spouts. The ladies that run it are friendly.

I love the way they do noodles at Ga Ga Loc. I have been known to drive from Tacoma late in the evenings for crispy fried Hong Kong style noodles. I also like the chili sauce that they have on the tables.

My other favorite is the Tropics (on Weller) $5.00 special Mon - Fri, 2:00 to 5:00 pm where you can get an entree and beverage. I like their pad thai. Almost always, I order that and the Thai tea. They also have a duck entree of some sort for those of you who like duck.

Do you like congee?

"Mike's Noodle House" has great congee.

I like their rock cod congee.

Green Village Express also has cheap good food although they tend to be a bit greasy.

Around the corner on Weller and 6th/7th is Cantonese Noodle House which has good Wonton noodles. I like their shrimp/pork wonton noodles.

Sichuanese Cuisine on Jackson and slightly before 12th Ave has great food.

Love their fried spicy beef noodles.

MMMMMMMMMMM!!! Seven Stars Pepper was fantastic! And we were very happy that we walked from Pioneer Square cause we needed to burn that food off!

We had the dan dan with hand shaved noodles- this was excellent, although there is quite a bit on my shirt! grrrr! :angry: The flavor was just perfect and the noodles were really good. I was worried when she told us it was going to be really spicy but it wasn't.

Also had the steamed pork dumplings- I actually didn't like these. The dumpling was really thick and there was a weird (to me) flavor that my mouth wasn't happy with.

Szechwan (sp) chicken, excellent!! just the right amount of spice, so tastely!!! over a bit of white rice.

I will definately be back here, I want to try the scallion pancake and a bunch of their other entrees. On the special board they had szechwan crab. Service was so nice and we have leftovers for tomorrow lunch!

Thanks again so much you guys, I'm going to try some of the other recommendations too! I'll just work my way down the thread. :smile:

Wendy

lmf - the crab is wicked good. the scallion pancake (and leek pancake) are ok - not the best i've had, but certainly good. the crab is insane though. i agree with all the other posts wrt suggestions - check out bahn mi threads too - there's a fried egg place across the street from the union station complex...heart cloggingly good.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Yum, I see a couple of my favorite places have been mentioned. Autumn definitely calls for a bowl of soup noodles or congee. Mike's and Canton Wonton House really hit the spot. The best, in my opinion, though, is Phnom Penh at 6th & King. They're Cambodian, not Chinese, but their noodles are sublime. Try the Fisherman's bowl. Good tea, too.

I stumbled across in new-looking restaurant last week, which I think was called Congee Noodle or something like that. Lots of blue on the front. I think it's up the street from Ocean City. Big menu of noodle soups & congee. Had a really nice bowl of Siu Kau & noodle soup - a great deal at $4.50. I saw some delicious-looking bbq duck on some other diners' tables - gotta have it when I go back.

There is a vietnamese place in the same complex as 7 Stars but on the ground level. It is not the place closer to the street that says they have Vietnamese and Thai, its the other Vietnamese place. I can edit in the name tonight.

Hal

There is a vietnamese place in the same complex as 7 Stars but on the ground level.  It is not the place closer to the street that says they have Vietnamese and Thai, its the other Vietnamese place.  I can edit in the name tonight.

Hal

Maybe Huong Binh?

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

LainerX and I had lunch at Takohachi yesterday, and the saba shioyaki is to die for. It comes with your choice of steamed rice, curry rice, or fried rice. My husband recently couldn't stop talking about the fried rice, which I never usually order, so I got it. OH MY GOD. It's better than any fried rice I've ever had, mostly due to the very generous amount of BACON. And the mackerel was stunning.

We had a lot of fun reading the little posters on the wall that have descriptions of some of the dishes on their menu. Our favorite quote was "You can make your own hotness," which we thought might be a good headline for the cover of Cosmo or Maxim. :biggrin:

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I love the way they do noodles at Ga Ga Loc.  I have been known to drive from Tacoma late in the evenings for crispy fried Hong Kong style noodles.  I also like the chili sauce that they have on the tables. 

OMG, I would willingly travel across galaxies to have good crispy Hong Kong style noodles. This is HIGH on my list now. Thanks White Lotus!

Born Free, Now Expensive

Try the seafood fried noodles(Hong Kong crispy style) at Jade Garden in the ID.

The servings are very generous and relatively cheap.

Very tasty too!

On the Eastside, the same kind of seafood fried noodles can be found at Cafe Ori.

Used to go there all the time when I was working on the eastside.

OMG, I would willingly travel across galaxies to have good crispy Hong Kong style noodles. This is HIGH on my list now. Thanks White Lotus!

LainerX and I had lunch at Takohachi yesterday, and the saba shioyaki is to die for.  It comes with your choice of steamed rice, curry rice, or fried rice.  My husband recently couldn't stop talking about the fried rice, which I never usually order, so I got it.  OH MY GOD.  It's better than any fried rice I've ever had, mostly due to the very generous amount of BACON.  And the mackerel was stunning.

We had a lot of fun reading the little posters on the wall that have descriptions of some of the dishes on their menu.  Our favorite quote was "You can make your own hotness," which we thought might be a good headline for the cover of Cosmo or Maxim.    :biggrin:

Yes, agreed about the fried rice. Being a white rice lover (don't even like the fried rice of my people), I was skeptical for ages about it and never ordered it. Then after a few years I took a chance and found myself transported to Bacon Heaven at first mouthful.

I like their posters too. The hotness one's cool, and so is the one which advertises "Vitamins! Calcium!". :biggrin:

And said hotness is actually very good. The hot sauce they serve with all of their nabe is the same one used to pickle their kimchi, I love it. Hot, garlicky and a little nutty. Mmmm, mouth watering...

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

• 2 weeks later...

Seven Star Pepper again today. We actually set out for Bahn mi up on 12th and Jackson but we are dumb and didn't realize that these are very small little deli's without seating. We wanted to sit down and eat after out 12 block hike up from pioneer square.

So across the street we went, very excited after our last lunch there. We had the leek pancakes which were very good (big!), the pork chow mein with hand shaved noodles on the recommendation of our waitress and the crab!!

Holy crap! Our food was really good! The crab was the whole thing! I know you are all saying "Of course it was!" but we didn't know what to expect. It rocked! Really spicy but in a good way, mmmmm! Now lets talk about the chow mein with those noodles. Yeah, I think that is my favorite so far. There were no leftovers of that!!!

And it was very inexpensive for all that food!

Ok now that we know what kick's ass we are going to branch out and try some others.

:biggrin:

• 1 month later...
LainerX and I had lunch at Takohachi yesterday, and the saba shioyaki is to die for.  It comes with your choice of steamed rice, curry rice, or fried rice.  My husband recently couldn't stop talking about the fried rice, which I never usually order, so I got it.  OH MY GOD.  It's better than any fried rice I've ever had, mostly due to the very generous amount of BACON.  And the mackerel was stunning.

We had a lot of fun reading the little posters on the wall that have descriptions of some of the dishes on their menu.  Our favorite quote was "You can make your own hotness," which we thought might be a good headline for the cover of Cosmo or Maxim.    :biggrin:

I've been dying to try the bacon fried rice since you posted this, Ms. Ramsey, and I'm both thankful and rueful I actually got the chance to experience it yesterday. Thankful because it is damn good. Rueful because despite its richness, most assuredly, we shall return.

We had the Tori-Kari (fried chicken nuggets, essentially) and I had the tori-kari and pork katsu combination dinner. Each came with tsukemono (kimchi, in our case), miso soup, salad and our choice of rice. The portions were huge, but somehow we managed to finish the majority of the items brought to us. The fried chicken and pork were both excellent - the chicken being very light and not at all greasy, and the pork was perfectly breaded, again very lightly fried. Both meat selections were extremely juicy and flavorful (and the small leftovers of both remain juicy and flavorful the next morning). And the rice - sublime. Words cannot describe how good that rice is. Maybe it's because I haven't eaten rice in so long. It was buttery, accented with onions and carrots and generous portions of bacon. I ate it all. And some of my husband's.

The miso was okay, and the salad was a little strange. It was, essentially, shredded cabbage, a little lettuce, some creamy mayo dressing, and a criss-cross of two thinly sliced pieces of ham covering the entire dome of salad. Doesn't that sound strange? Well, it was. But I ate it anyway.

Despite all the rich food, I didn't leave with a coating of oil inside my mouth. Gotta love that. Husband and I were the only non-Japanese customers there last night, and it was pretty full at 6:30. I love the pictures on the walls of the different menu selections - also noting, and chuckling over, the fact that I can "make my own hotness". Everything is super affordable (nothing over $9, it seems), portions are generous, food is great and the service is brisk and attentive. Definitely going back.

• 2 weeks later...

I was craving that fried rice that was recommended by Kathy, so we went to try Takahachi for lunch today, but it was closed :sad: . They are not open on Sat. for lunch. Darn, next time I will try during the week.

So we next walked over to Kau Kau Barbeque restaurant at 656 South King St. I have had take out from there several times (they are my favorite Chinese barbeque take out), but this is the first time we've sat in their dining room.

Lunch deals here are great at only $4.99.

My husband ordered their famous roast duck, which is chopped Chinese style into portions w/cleaver, and it was served with a sweet plum? sauce for dipping. The bird was moist and flavorful, nicely spiced (probably 5 spice?).

I ordered the roast side of pork, which was portions of chinese style roasted pork belly, chopped w/cleaver, natch, very moist and yummy with crisp crackling, and some sliced portions of leaner pork ie. typical barbeque type roast pork which were also pretty moist and came with a Chinese mustard and sesame seeds to dip in.

Both lunch entrees came with egg drop soup w/ Chinese mushroom and some crunchy bits of water chestnut. Entrees included a couple pieces of properly cooked broccoli, as well a huge mound of the most delicious pork fried rice I've had in ages. They were generous with the pork bits, it was the same pork as from my roast side of pork, shreds of fried egg, and a scattering of bean sprouts to add some light crunch to it.

Service and food were very good (although the meat was just a tad salty) but I am looking forward to going back. On the way out, I read they now pack and ship UPS from their barbeque take out, and roast whole Pig, too, if I read correctly. Yum.

I'm also anxious now to see how the fried rice at Takahachi compares to the one I liked at Kau Kau...

We finished the afternoon with a stroll through Uwagimaya and PFI to pick up stocking stuffer gifts for Christmas. :biggrin:

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

• 3 weeks later...
I stumbled across in new-looking restaurant last week, which I think was called Congee Noodle or something like that.  Lots of blue on the front.  I think it's up the street from Ocean City.  Big menu of noodle soups & congee.  Had a really nice bowl of Siu Kau & noodle soup - a great deal at $4.50.  I saw some delicious-looking bbq duck on some other diners' tables - gotta have it when I go back.

Stopped in at Congee Noodle the other day for a soup fix. Wish I'd seen this thread and all the great recommendations first, :sad: but there is always another day. Congee Noodle is next door to Ho Ho, across the street from the Tai Tung parking lot (forget which street that is). We both had Congee--didn't try the noodles like Susansea, and maybe we should have. The Congee was lukewarm, very bland, not much of the featured meats and goodies. The BBQ comes from the place next door (actually connected) but I didn't catch the name.

Now I want to try Takehachi....

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther