• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's guides time

albiston

Michelin 2005 is now out as well (veronelli's guide is the only one missing) and causing quite a stir, as usual, among Italian foodies.

The four three stareed restaurants are the same as last year, 'Le Calandre' in Rubano (Pd), 'Al Sorriso' in Soriso (Mn), 'Dal pescatore' a Canneto sull'Oglio (Mn) plus the new entry of 'Enoteca Pinchiorri' in Firenze. (correction:Pinchiorri had three stars last year too)

The restaurant considered the best by the other guides, Gambero Rosso, Vissani and La Pergola keep two stars. There are three new two starred restaurants, 'Rossellinis' in Ravello (Sa) 'Il Rigoletto' in Reggiolo (Re) and 'Arquade' in San Pietro in Cariano (Vr), bringing the total to 23.

There's also been an increase in one starred establishments, from 186 to 197.

No major surprises except for Rossellinis which while the restaurant of a great hotel does not really figure particularly in any other guide, at least to my knowledge. But the ambiance...

Arquade was one of the places I had recommended to Cyn for her tour of northern Italy and the place is beautiful. I hope this additional piece of info changes her mind about going there if still possible :wink:

Francesco

Alberto: What about losses? Any 2 stars that lost a star? Any one stars that lost it?

Francesco: I am a he, not a she! My name is Cy ! And I already decided a month ago to scratch Pompiere in favor of Arquade, based strictly on your recommendation(I became very impressed with your expertise after reading all your recent posts on various culinary matters:) plus the lure of the decadent luxury of the Villa del Quar.I should have thanked you for your input, but inexcusably neglected to do so, so let me extend my thanks to you now.

Alberto: What about losses? Any 2 stars that lost a star? Any one stars that lost it?

Cy,

no two stars lost theirs. I have no idea about the one starred places since I don't have the guide and the online version is still the 2004 one. I'm sure a list will pop up pretty soon with new entries and exclusions.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Cy,

no two stars lost theirs. I have no idea about the one starred places since I don't have the guide and the online version is still the 2004 one. I'm sure a list will pop up pretty soon with new entries and exclusions.

And here it is (from Italian newspaper Il Giornale)

Restaurants awarded with one star for the first time:La Locanda del Palazzo, Barile (Potenza); Mistral, Bellagio (Como); Osteria di Via Solata, Bergamo; Guido, Bra (Cuneo); L'olivo, Capri (Napoli); D'O, Cornaredo (Milano); Delle Antiche Contrade, Cuneo; Villa la Vedetta, Firenze ; San Donato, Perano Gaiole in Chianti (Siena); Vecchia Malcesine, Malcesine (Verona); Vecchia Cecchini, Pasiano di Pordenone; Hotel Pellicano, Porto Ercole (Grosseto); La Trota, Rivodutri (Rieti); Hostaria dell'Orso, Roma; Ostaria Altran, Ruda (Udine); Il Buco, Sorrento (Napoli); La Bastiglia, Spello (Perugia); La Barrique, Torino; Locanda Mongreno, Torino; Scrigno del Duomo, Trento; Osteria la Fontanina, Verona, Romano, Viareggio.

Loose a star:

L'Altra Bottiglia, Civita Castellana (Viterbo); Il Principe, Pompei (Napoli); Villa Negri, Riva del Garda (Trento;) Ringo, Travagliato (Brescia), L'Oca bianca, Viareggio; Maison de Laurent, la Thuile (Aosta).

Apart D'O I mentioned in its own thread, and il Buco Matthew Grant reported about, it might be interesting to some of you to see Guido in Bra, i.e. Guido in Pollenzo get its first star.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Francesco: I am a he, not a she! My name is Cy ! And I already decided a month ago to scratch Pompiere in favor of Arquade, based strictly on your recommendation(I became very impressed with your expertise after reading all your recent posts on various culinary matters:) plus the lure of the decadent luxury of the Villa del Quar.I should have thanked you for your input, but inexcusably neglected to do so, so let me extend my thanks to you now.

Cy, I am truly sorry. I don't know why but I was sure you were a "she" because I was under the impression someone had addressed you that way. Obviously, I was mistaking you with someone else. Anyway, now the pressure's on me, in case you don't find it as good as I did!

Anyway, when are you going exactly?

Francesco

OK Francesco, you are forgiven:)

Leaving here on May 13. Will be at Arquade on May 20. ( Join us ?)

Wish I could, but it's very unlikely that I will even be in Italy in May. Anyway, you'll catch the place in a better season than we did (december) and I have little doubt you'll enjoy it a lot.

Francesco