• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dave the Cook's Kitchen Reno On the Cheap

Dave the Cook

No dog. People are going to think you sautéed him!

Very nice though. Looking forward to seeing the sideboard. Are you sure I can't convince you to paint the kickboards red?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 4 weeks later...

Dave, so what's up with your kitchen? I've stalled on the kitchen but have started framing the one unfinished room in this house, and have built a computer table. We've all been sick (me for almost a month). I really need to gear up for a floor, now that I ripped up a hunk of the ugly vinyl that was flapping up. I did get around to putting two coats of Kilz on a small portion of the ceiling; letting it set for a while to see if the nicotine that has colored said ceiling to a dark tan (previous owners) seeps through. Figure before I paint the whole damned thing, I better see whether it will make a difference in the long run.

After the floor, I'm going to put pull-out drawer/shelf things in my 34" deep pantry (which is more like a very narrow closet).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I really need to gear up for a floor, now that I ripped up a hunk of the ugly vinyl that was flapping up. 

snowangel, what kind of floor have you decided to put in??

I'm thinking commercial vinyl tile. I've also thought vinyl sheet, but to me, it always looks like vinyl sheet. But, I haven't done much looking. A friend has recommended a flooring store that is normally only open to the trade industry, but er cousin owns it, so I have an in. I think I'm probably better off at a flooring store; they were less than helpful last time I was at Home Depot and Lowe's.

I think I'm probably better off at a flooring store; they were less than helpful last time I was at Home Depot and Lowe's.

Also, at a flooring store, you might have better chance of getting an end of roll at a good price, if your area isn't too big. Is it a big surface, and have you thought about colors?

I think I'm probably better off at a flooring store; they were less than helpful last time I was at Home Depot and Lowe's.

Also, at a flooring store, you might have better chance of getting an end of roll at a good price, if your area isn't too big. Is it a big surface, and have you thought about colors?

Colors are dictated by my oh-so-beautiful granite countertops! I'm into a serious budget, since we also need a new furnace, re-do the ceiling, replace all of the doorknobs in the house (none match, and all are pieces of junk). The list just goes on and on. We won't even talk about the bits of aluminum wiring here and here...(getting to be a pro at that, too).

[Colors are dictated by my oh-so-beautiful granite countertops!  I'm into a serious budget, since we also need a new furnace, re-do the ceiling, replace all of the doorknobs in the house (none match, and all are pieces of junk).  The list just goes on and on.  We won't even talk about the bits of aluminum wiring here and here...(getting to be a pro at that, too).

Hum, alu wiring is never good news...

new granite countertops?????? Oh I'm soooo envious! What made you choose granite?

And this room that you framed, what will it become?? And I do hope the Kilz works!!

Hum, alu wiring is never good news...

new granite countertops??????  Oh I'm soooo envious!  What made you choose granite?

And this room that you framed, what will it become??  And I do hope the Kilz works!!

No. alum. wiring is not good, but doable, pretty inexpensively if you DIY (as I do). I know where the circuits are, they have been mapped, and I can turn them (or the breaker off).

What made me choose granite? We had these horrible "leatherette" texturered formica-type counters when we moved in. The kind you had to take a toothbrush to to get clean. Looked and looked. Drove by a monument (as in gravestone) place one day while picking a child up from school. Price was not terribly much higher than new formica ( I was not about to do my own counters). I saw a color that grabbed me. They told me where to go to pick out the slab. They let me mark up the slab with where I wanted this streak and that streak. Done deal.

The room I've framed (but have yet to insulate or drywall) will be "adult space." If anyone has read the "Not So Big House" by Sarah Susanka will understand what I'm talking about. A room, under the sunroom, with 10 windows. A sewing nook. A place for grownups. A place where either of us (Paul or I) can leave out a project without it being pilfered or destroyed due to interest on the part of the Young Ones. We have some beautiful oak flooring in the garage that will go down, as will the magnificent Persian rug with themes of hunting.

Back to Varmint and cupboard/cabinet pulls/handles. Be ware of picking something out of a catalogue, unless you have seen and fondled it in person. When I replaced the hardware in our old kitchen, I purchased many samples from a local place, and insisted that I be able to return whatever I didn't want. Cleanability (just how much gunk will they accumulate; remember I have little kid; and how easy is it to remove said gunk) was important. How they looked on the cabinets, etc. was far different from how they looked on what they displayed them on in the store. I ended up liking best the one I thought I'd like the least!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally an update for all you patient peeps. I'd estimate that I'm at 85%, and at least 50% of that is cosmetic. I have an almost fully functional kitchen.

Everything except the toe boards (which aren't even installed) and one cabinet handle is painted and assembled, or reassembled. Just to provide a quick comparison, here's the original view:

kitchen_3a.jpg

Here's how it looks now:

kitchen_wide.jpg

In addition to the range (with which I am extremely happy, but that's for another thread), I've installed the sideboard and made it more or less compatible with its new purpose.

sideboard_1.jpg

I ruminated over catalogs from Hold Everything and the Container Store, pored through pages of sites like Big Tray and Stacks and Stacks. Finally, I went to Michael's, where they were having a $5 basket sale:

baskets.jpg

A couple of other things since I last reported: here's the Metro (truth be told, it's Tabco) shelving in pot-rack configuration:

rack_1.jpg

rack_2.jpg

Note the sheet pan rack at the bottom, courtesy of Staples (and andiesenji's recommendation).

Also on a tip from andie, a nifty knife rack, tucked conveniently into a corner of the sideboard:

sideboard_3.jpg

I'll update the budget tomorrow, but I think I'm still under (not counting the range!)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

You seem to have a knife box with your knives thrown in haphazardly. Please say it isn't so. :shock::shock::shock:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I love it! :biggrin: What a phenomenal change from the kitchen it was. Sideboard -- with the snappy red pulls -- is very cool. :cool:

How is that red KA working out?

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Ah, Dave, I was just thinking of nudging this thread! You've rewarded our patience. Seriously though, this is one neat kitchen - it makes one want to cook in that space. What is the "best" point of the kitchen and what is the "quirky" point? All kitchens have them... Anything you'd like to change in the future? Does the canine friend play around the baking sheets etc. on the Metro shelving?? I DO like the knife storage, tucked away yet readily reachable. As for baskets, I think they're the best storage investment ever: inexpensive, interesting in texture, movable and roomy.

It looks excellent. Those red knobs make a huge difference.

Now for some red toe boards.. . . . .

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I did get around to putting two coats of Kilz on a small portion of the ceiling; letting it set for a while to see if the nicotine that has colored said ceiling to a dark tan (previous owners) seeps through. Figure before I paint the whole damned thing, I better see whether it will make a difference in the long run./quote]

Snowangel, has the Kilz worked??

Dave,

The kitchen is gorgeous! You have done a great job and the sideboard looks like a million dollars. I didn't notice the detail on the feet when it was in its natural form. The white really points up the construction details.

It looks like you have taken the room to a new high in efficiency.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wow. The ugly duckling kitchen has become a beautiful swan. What a clean, cheerful, organized place it's become -- heavy on the inspiration and perspiration and light(ish) on the lucre.

Like Rachel, I think that the basket for the potlids is just brilliant.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I did get around to putting two coats of Kilz on a small portion of the ceiling; letting it set for a while to see if the nicotine that has colored said ceiling to a dark tan (previous owners) seeps through.  Figure before I paint the whole damned thing, I better see whether it will make a difference in the long run.

Snowangel, has the Kilz worked??

The kilz seems to have worked. Since this stuff sort of stinks, I think I'll wait to do more of it until it's spring and I can open up the windows. I did one area with one coat of Kilz, one with two coats, and one area with just regular paint. I'm looking at the area with just regular paint, and thinking that yes, all of that cigarette junk is going to bleed through.

This weekend we're going to build in the plug for the microwave and make the duplex outlet a fourplex. We got sort of sidetracked on the kitchen by other electrical problems, and the need to finish of the one unfinished room in the basement.

Dave, the kitchen looks fab. Very nice and bright. Making me want to paint my cupboards. Mine are beautiful, solid and in wonderful shape, but just very dark.