• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dave the Cook's Kitchen Reno On the Cheap

Dave the Cook

Oh no.  Everyone is much better off when I stay inside my particular box :biggrin: Trust me.  I like colour.  I just want everything to be colour coordinated.  Yes I noticed the towel.  See that's what I mean.  The towel is red and white.  nice and symetrical.  :biggrin:

Thats why my carpet is a deep Burgundy color. Hides the wine stains. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Thanks, everyone. If I can do this stuff, pretty much anyone can (especially snowangel, who I'm sure is handier than I).

I am thrilled with the floor. I ended up using an acrylic polish. It won't be quite as shiny as wax, but it won't require five coats, either. Two are recommended; what you see here is one, and it's added a nice sheen. But more importantly, it's started to fill in the tiny cracks between the tiles, and leveled out the roughness of the raw vinyl a bit. Both of these effects should keep dirt from accumulating, thereby minimizing cleaning cycles. A further benefit: recall that the dog at first wouldn't set foot on the floor? Now he loves it. He likes the slick surface that lets him do that cartoon running wind-up, and he likes skidding across it to retrieve things. So much for the precipice reflex. (Fifi [and, erm, Marlene]: that dog is certain that he's cuter than any human that ever walked the earth. Given that attitude is 90% of the magnet thing, I'm hopeless.)

Two other things: First, it's time to settle the issue of the peninsula. I don't have access to an Ikea, unless Klc is willing to put me up for a weekend. However, I can get similar product with the Mill's Pride line from Home Depot -- frameless cabinets; a variety of sizes and configuratons. They're a little more expensive, but they come with bases attached, so I won't need to add feet or build a ladder box. Since this run won't be more than five feet, I'm not too worried about leveling issues. The problem is that I haven't had any luck scouring yard sales and antique shops, and the storage/prep situation is getting critical. Any further ideas? Having worked in this kitchen for a few weeks now, I'm convinced I need an immmovable worktop, as well as more storage -- half my batterie is still in the carport.

The second thing is more salubrious. While leaving the neighborhood today, I spotted a garage-sale notice. Sighing, I spun the steering wheel in the appropriate direction. No dressers, no sideboards. I checked for the usually-hoped-for ten-dollar Martin guitars and obscured Wyeth pentimentos, and turned to leave. Sitting on a redwood picnic table ($12) was a deep red KitchenAid stand mixer. With the exception of the orange, wheelless Cosworth Vega (as is -- on concrete blocks, u-tow-it -- $275), it was easily the most expensive item up for sale: $165. I didn't recognize the nameplate: Accolade 400, but I took the number to mean that it was a 400-watt model. Righteous power for the money, and it looks like new. It's not the color of the tile, but more of a maroon. To my eye, it's better than a perfect match; it complements and deepens the monchromatic appeal of the reds in the room.

By agreeing not to haggle over the price, I got the seller to accept the $27 I had on me as a deposit until tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I said I was broke, and this kitchen is straining my present liquidity, but I'm willing to stretch if this is good buy. The question is, am I being rash? Is this a decent model? Does anyone know anything about it?

I'm no expert on Kitchenaids - but I wouldn't spend $165 for any of them at a garage sale. You can get a brand new one for $199 - 20% off (with a coupon) - minus now and then rebates - at any BB&B. I'm sure they're not the zippiest models - but they're not the worst either - and - if they break - you'll have BB&B and Kitchenaid to back you up. If you don't have any coupons - email me with your address and I'll send you a couple. Robyn

dave -

little known tip - buy reconditioned from amazon and save money.

this one looks nice (and even more powerful)...and they're under warranty. reconditioned could mean anything from - hucked from the window to knob fell off to scratched paint. all the issues have been repaired and you've got a secure cheaper gizmo. i love my kitchenaid.

amazon reconditioned kitchenaids (egullet friendly - i think!)

edit - punctuation

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

OK. I'm floor obsessed. The harvest gold vinyl with way too many cigarette burns is getting to me -- big time.

So, this past weekend, Paul was deer hunting. As is my habit, when I'm home alone with the kids, I take projects to the point of no return. This time, it was a marbel that got wedged under the vinyl by the dishwasher. So, did I gently pull out the dishwasher, gently pull up the vinyl and extract said marble? No, I ripped a hunk of the vinyl off. It sure felt good. Paul, knowing me well, called 1/2 hour short of being home and asked "what sort of work did you create while I was gone?" I was able to reassure him, at least this time, that there was no sledge hammer involved.

Me does think that now I do need to remove the vinyl before I lay down CVT. Or, Dave, should I just patch it and put on the blue junk?

Further, should I lay new tile under the stove and diswasher, or just keep those on the subfloor?

I have replalced a kitchen floor before. Last time around, we pergo'd, and never, ever again. It was awful. Tons of work.

I have settled on CVT, and ran out today and got a mess of samples. I like a floor that needs to be waxed. It's work twice a year, but in between, much easier to take care of.

So, back to my questions. Under dishwater and stove? Patch vinyl and put the blue junk on it? Moving was such a horrible experience that the next time I do so, it will be in a body bag, so want to do this right.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

So, back to my questions.  Under dishwater and stove?  Patch vinyl and put the blue junk on it?  Moving was such a horrible experience that the next time I do so, it will be in a body bag, so want to do this right.

How easily did the vinyl come up? Was there any glue or vinyl left behind. Often, vinyl is only glued around the perimeter of the room so removal is pretty easy. Remember that if you put the new CVT over old vinyl, the new floor is only going to be as reliable as the old floor. If the vinyl starts to lift, you're hooped.

If you were my client, I'd lift the vinyl and put CVT down onto the sub-floor. Since CVT is relatively thick, the sub-floor needs to be smooth, but not perfectly smooth. Levelling compound will work just fine.

I always put flooring under all appliances. It's such a small area that the cost savings if you don't are negligeable. And flooring always stays cleaner than plywood sub-floor.

A.

Assuming that you are there for the long haul (a good assumption, I think, given the body bag talk :biggrin: ) I gotta go with removing the old stuff... and putting it under the appliances. The main problem with CVT that I know of is that there are so many choices that decisions are terrible things to make. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Assuming that you are there for the long haul (a good assumption, I think, given the body bag talk :biggrin: )

don't bet on it. I said that after our last move, and now suddenly I find myself moving again. :blink: But I'd still put the tile under the dishwasher et all. What if you decide to redesign your kitchen one day?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks, folks. It's rip the vinyl up. It ripped like tissue, which seems to me speaks that it wants to be gone. In between my previous post and now, I have done some "picking" appears to be just laid down, anchored by crumby 1/4 round.

No, Marlene, we are here for the long haul. I am a perfectionist when it comes to the house. I put way too much into everything to leave it. There were six months of angst and tears and tearing my heart out to leave the old place. Yes, Body Bag (they can take my new granite counters and make a monument to me). I work way to hard to make everything perfect. Let's not even talk about how we left a paid-for house for another 30 years of servitude to Norwest (should be Wells Fargo) Mortgage. Gotta love that second bathroom.

So, I have primed the walls that I recently denuded of gawdawful wallpaper (ferns and daisies!). I can't put on real paint until I choose, or narrow down choices for a floor.

I'm in a pickle because I'm hosting a series of birthday luncheons for my mother in the next could of weeks, but figure instead of 50's party games, we can all muse on flooring and wall color choices.

Oh, Dave. You got me hot to trot. My family is going to hate me in the next few weeks. And, love me for years after.

So, when I'm at Ikea tomorrow, maybe time to think about new cabinets and cupboards?...

Edited by snowangel (log)

I believe you really I do. You've seen pictures of my kitchen. I never thought I'd leave it either :biggrin:

that being said, I can't wait for you to start on your renovation. My new kitchen is pretty awesome, but it will have things I need to do to it and I'll be posting pics later.

edited, because I can't type.

Marlene

OK. So, I didn't get floor samples yet. That's tomorrow's job, but I did get to Ikea and replaced the motley assortment of drinking glasses (after 23 years of marriage, I need another bridal shower!) and did get the dining room and kitchen primed, and did get the cord for the over the sink microwave built in (involved pulling the medicine cabinet in the bathroom, which shares that wall with the microwave). So, no more cord. And, I did it without electrocuting myself, and the microwave works, the lights in the bathroom work, and I haven't blown a circuit yet.

Next question. The former owners of this house smoked HEAVILY inside. Every wall has been washed 3 times and are now clean. The textured ceiling is an ugly brown that is really, really bugging me. I'd much prefer "flat" ceilings, but don't have the energy to remove the 1200 square feet on the main floor of the popcorn/texture stuff.

So, paint for the ceiling seems to be in order. Buy a sprayer to hook up to the compressor? Use a roller?

The thought of this is both exhausting and energizing me.

Our ceilings are "popcorned". We chose to use a thick roller and good-quality paint. By "popcorned" I mean it looks as though someone thought stucco would be nice--no, wait, popcorn--no, stucco!--no, popcorn!, and finally decided after the last layer of popcorn to call it a day.

If it's really really textured, a thick roller (and a little more paint than you think you'll need, as the thick rollers soak up half a gallon at a time, it seems like) and a handle should do the trick. And you won't have to cover as much as you would with a sprayer.

That's just me, though. I'm cheap :) And all for figuring out ways I can do it without anyone else's help.

Diana

That's just me, though.  I'm cheap :)  And all for figuring out ways I can do it without anyone else's help.

Diana

I'm cheaper than cheap when it comes to home renovation. Get the best quality ingredients and teach myself how to do it.

So, did the stuff drip after you painted it? Miles of drop cloths? My popcorn/stucco ceilings also have sparkles! Can't wait to get rid of them. If i wanted sparkles, I'd get a mirror ball.

Snowangel, ok, I'm a smoker, I admit it. (I'll try not to die of shame here). We are currently putting our house up for sale. I've been advised that there are companies out there who can come in and make it seem like there's never been a smoker in the house.

As for painting the ceilings? Sprayer, all the way. It's way easier and you'll love it.

Marlene

That's just me, though.  I'm cheap :)  And all for figuring out ways I can do it without anyone else's help.

Diana

... My popcorn/stucco ceilings also have sparkles! Can't wait to get rid of them. If i wanted sparkles, I'd get a mirror ball.

Are you sure it isn't asbestos?

98% positive, at least if the house behind me (just like mine before modifications, built in the same year -- 1970) is any indication. They had their's tested and it wasn't.

Neglected to mention my GREAT find of the day at Ikea. I have had these really ugly knobs on the cabinets and cupboards in the kitchen. Sort of an ugly Old English (I think that's what they call it) with all kinds of nooks and crannies. The kind of knobs you need to take a toothbrush to clean properly.

Brand, new knobs at $1.99 for six of them. Much better. Clean looking. Sleek to the touch. No more gook collectors.

It's amazing what a difference knobs can make isn't it? Great find Snowangel.

In keeping with my colour co-ordinated theme, I'm waiting for Dave to score some lovely red knobs for his cabinets :biggrin:

So Dave, what did you do about the KA? Enquiring minds want to know :rolleyes:

Marlene

We bought inexpensive plastic dropcloths and put them on the floor, threw them over the furniture, whatever. Left them down until the drips dried so we could re-use them. . .the only BAD drip was when my ponytail ended up in the touch-up paint.

Diana

Popcorn stuff is supposed to come of really easily (for the most part) with water. Like you spray it with water, let it soak in and it will start falling off by itself. So I hear, anyway.

My mum painted over hers using a paint sprayer she rented. It looked a ton better, and is easier to keep clean because she put so many layers on they're not sharp popcorns anymore, and can be dusted.

regards,

trillium

Popcorn stuff is supposed to come of really easily (for the most part) with water.  Like you spray it with water, let it soak in and it will start falling off by itself.  So I hear, anyway.

My mum painted over hers using a paint sprayer she rented.  It looked a ton better, and is easier to keep clean because she put so many layers on they're not sharp popcorns anymore, and can be dusted.

regards,

trillium

If you cover everything with plastic, spray with water, and scrape with a 12" tapers knife it will come right off. Let dry and hire a" Drywall Taper" to finish it and then paint. Fast, quick and easy and quite a mess. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

we have popcorn and sparkles too. on our entire main floor. snowangel is most likely luckier than we are ... our 1950 ceilings are 4% asbestos. we haven't painted any of it (except bits where wall paint needed touch-up) if possible - spray it - so much faster and worth the hassle of prep.

edit: speling

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

There is a sealing compound you can spray onto the acoustic material which will seal in the asbestos because if untreated it constantly "sheds" - you can test this by laying a black sheet on the floor in a room and slamming a door.

Regular water-based paint will not seal it, you have to have one of the resin compounds.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Removing the popcorn sounds like more than I am up for. I really don't mine drywall/taping/mudding work, but really hate to work over my head. Sounds like a guaranteed crick in the neck, and there's no way I'd hire that done. There is a lot of square footage of the stuff.

I've been hankering for another power tool, and think a sprayer might just be the ticket. Prep sounds like a ton of work, but then again, if I smoke a butt and brisket and ply friends with same and a mess of beer, we could probably make short work of the prep.

They make sealers that will penetrate and strengthen the popcorn stuff. It was developed for asbestos abaitment. Then paint will adhere and not pull off. When paint dries, it sets up stresses that can cause a weak under layer to split and peel away. You might ask at your local paint store about that. I would ask a dedicated paint supplier, like a Sherwin Williams store, rather than at a Home Depot or such. I haven't looked for it on the retail market so I don't really know what is out there but it is worth looking into. If you think your texture has asbestos, I would suggest that you check into this.

Ah yes... Beer and pork butt. The project fuel of champions!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

When last we checked in on our hero, he was without a working oven.

Today I checked a number of scratch-and-dent outlets, and came across this:

KitchenAid range

It has a deep scratch in the handle, but it's got a nice spec sheet, it's white, it's got true convection, it's very sturdy, and I can get it for $989. The home warranty company is kicking in $375 (or they'll buy a new one worth $450).

I also found:

Frigidaire range

in stainless steel ($979), and

this:

Kenmore

also in stainless, for $790.

What does everyone think?

This range problem has put a deep hole in my budget, so the idea of using pre-made cabinets is on very soft ground, and I'm going back to the idea of remodeling a sideboard or dresser of some sort. I found an art-deco piece today that's 60" W x 22" D x 36" high. It's ugly in the way that only badly executed art-deco can be. In other words, it might be perfect. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

I think we're looking for an update from Susan, aren't we?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I guess I am leaning toward the Kenmore. I have an aversion to the glass ceramic tops but that is just me. At least with Kenmore you have the service to back it up. The price looks right.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"