• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dave the Cook's Kitchen Reno On the Cheap

Dave the Cook

It is a 1959 Roper Town & Country range - 8 burners an 18 x 18 griddle in the center, 3 ovens and 2 broilers. The center oven can be used as a broiler with the "Broilevator" option put in.

I bought it and had it completely restored by an antique stove restoration place in south L.A.

They took it all apart and each piece was enameled (not powder coated) and re chromed, inside and out. It looked just like new.

It has a cast iron frame and weighs 600 pounds with the doors off and everything removable. It took 5 men to move it in and out of the kitchens it has been in. We used a forklift to put it into my storage facility.

They didn't make very many of these and the ones that are still around are very difficult to find.

The restoration place put photos of it in their brochure back when it was first finished and another place did one almost identical with the emerald green. Mine was originally sort of battleship gray and white. I picked the color because I love it and had my sinks the same color as it was offered by Kohler at that time. (Bathtub and sinks in the bathroom also same color.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I looked through the photos on that site and they have a Roper also, the same color, looks identical to mine, I mean the photo looks identical, except the color is just a little lighter. I looked at the other photos of their stove and the clock face is different and I don't have the original salt and pepper shakers, just some that are similar in shape but are chrome. It's odd tha when I cropped the photo I just missed cropping out the steel step-stool chair next to it. I still use it in my kitchen now. It doesn't go with anything in there but I like it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

andie: Oh my, that stove is a beautiful thing. It did indeed make my heart beat faster!

So Dave -- Did you have a chance to make some progress this weekend?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Report!  Report!  You can't leave us hanging like this :biggrin:

While you're all hanging, I thought I'd add something for other people (like me) who read this thread with great interest because they might have to redo a horrid kitchen totally on the cheap. Metro shelving has come out of patent and there are huge shelves (48 wide, 8 feet tall?) at Costco for even cheaper then similiarly sized Metro shelves at the restaurant supply shop. I think we ended up buying 4 of these monsters for kitchen storage and basement storage. They look small in the warehouse, but you get them home and they're huge. You can buy nifty accessories sized for Metro shelves and their ilk at Storables (pdf of accessories and prices) if you have one of those in your town. I bought some hanging baskets, a towl rack and a potholder rack.

Also, even though Dave as moved on and found the perfect work surface, I'll give out a resounding negative vote to making an island type deal from Metro shelving unless you're going to bolt a countertop onto it (I talked to the Boos guys about this). I couldn't afford to do that so I just have the wire top with a piece of vinyl on it and then my big cutting boards. I hate it with an ungodly passion. It is amazingly difficult to work on a surface that has no ledge when you cook a lot like I do. I never thought the ledge would make much difference but it does.

I loved seeing the Corti guy's kitchen in Saveur a few issues ago. He left his 70's kitchen mostly intact expect for dropping in a nice gas range. And in Julia Child's kitchen, every single surface is butcher block. I love the stuff. I hate granite, it was in our last apartment, but it could just be my personality. I find it only useful for pastry. I hate how careful you have to be setting down hot cast-iron on it, and I hate how cold it is to work on.

We're trying to buy a house right now that has a horrible 70's kitchen, and if we manage to do it, we'll have no $$ left over for expensive remodels, so I'm really loving this thread. Thanks to Dave and all the contributors.

regards,

trillium

I have bought chrome shelving units with wheels, 6 shelves, at Sam's Club but they have not had them in the store the last few times I have been. They were 73.99.

However they do have similar ones with white epoxy finish at Lowe's but no wheels.

here, and they are 5 shelf units.

I think that they also have them in a black finish at times.

For additional workspace, after I moved a refrigerator to a newly-created open pantry and had six feet of room, I went to my local restaurant supply and bought a six by two-foot piece of Metro shelving, with two shelves, and one stainless work surface with a lip that slipped down over two support poles that I had cut in half to create four - but it set me back over $400 and I think that's too much for Dave's budget. I love it, though, open shelving to stash all the bowls and stuff I use all the time, and a solid work surface that cleans up in a snap.

Sorry! I went away for a while, but I was not idle. I had to take a few days to get the rest of the house in order. Here's a quick update; I'll elaborate this weekend, and provide some pictures.

But first, thanks to everyone for hanging in there.

- I lost my chance at the worktable. Or maybe I never had a chance. Anyway, it's in the living room, and already loaded with books. Back to the drawing board.

- The ceiling is probably doable, but I can't put the household through it. It would involve removing a 6' x 12' cage of 2'' x 4"s and sheetrock, as well as some electrical work (for some odd reason, the fluorescents are switched in the dining room on the shared wall). I realize patience is a virtue here -- part of the trade-off for a tiny budget -- but I can't afford the disruption. It's a good project, but one for another day, considering how much more I can get done, and how much sooner I'll have a workable space, if I avoid this temptation. I will, however, take down the aluminum grid, and hide the bare fixtures with some kind of decorative cover.

- The floor is going in on Saturday.

- Undercabinet lighting on Sunday. With any luck, I can wire them into the fixture over the sink, so they'll all work off the same switch. Also Sunday: cabinet knobs and pegboard. The tool chest is turning out to be elusive, so I'll mount pegbpoard all the way down the wall where the chest was going to go, and bide my time. The chest is the least of the necessities, and I might find that I can work without it.

- I located a 14 x 24 x 72, 4-shelf Tabco rack at a cool place called Restaurant Solutions. Tabco is almost an exact knock-off of Metro, right down to the 1250 pounds-per-shelf capacity. At $108 (new), it was a litte pricey, but it will work as a pot rack and utility shelf, and finding Restuarant Solutions was worth it. Excellent people, great inventory, and good prices (9-inch springform pan for $8!). I'll be spending a lot of time there.

- I have a line on someone who's redoing their laundry room and has some Mill's Pride base cabinets in white. Since this line is still in production, I could add matching pieces to make my worktable. Once I know what's in the offing, I'll draw up a plan.

Expenditures so far: $108 for shelving, $20 for primer, $50 for tile, $18 for tile adhesive, $20 in miscellaneous tools and supplies, $85 for undercabinet lighting, $8 for pegboard. Total: $309.

I've got a question about knife storage. Where's the best place to put them for safety and accessibility, and what kind of storage strategy would be best?

Another question: who's going to give me a new red KitchenAid for Christmas? :wink:

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Knife storage. I've had in-drawer "knife block," a knife block on the counter, and a magnetic one on the wall above the sink, below the cheapo microwave we mounted above the sink. I LOVE THE MAGNETIC ONE. The knives and kitchen snippers are right there. Take up no counter space (not that I have any counter space).

OK? Here's a question about knife blocks. How much gunk ends up in those slots?

Thanks for the update, Dave. We're looking forward to seeing the photos of kitchen with a new floor, etc.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

OK?  Here's a question about knife blocks.  How much gunk ends up in those slots?

That is one of those things that I do not want to know. :blink:

Can't wait to see the floor. I think that is going to be a shocker!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Another question: who's going to give me a new red KitchenAid for Christmas?  :wink:

My guess is that would depend on how good you've been this year :biggrin:

I use a knife block myself, but then I have counter space to burn. But since I'm always using my knives, I want them where I can get them easily.

A magnetic strip as Snowangel suggests might be a good thing in your kitchen, but then, I'm always afraid I would grab the blade when trying to get the knife off the strip. - I'm kinda clumsy that way :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have these Magnetic knife strips.. 2 18 inch and one 24 inch. (Scroll down the page a ways to see the long ones.) I have mine mounted vertically now, as I found mounting them horizontally was not as efficient. I keep the longer blades at the top and the shorter ones at the bottom.

I have the 24 inch one on a wall where a cabinet door opens and when it is opened only the knife blades are covered so it uses a space that would otherwise be wasted and it is handy to one prep area.

I used to have a knife block that was part of one end of my center island, actually slots cut into the butcher block with an open space below.

I found that I could not scrape the table top clean without stuff getting down into the slots, even when occupied by the knifes and when one of my high carbon steel knives developed some pitting I had that part sawn off and a solid piece replaced it.

I like the mag stirps a lot better.

OK?  Here's a question about knife blocks.  How much gunk ends up in those slots?

While living in the first house I owned, a tiny movement caught my eye as I pulled the chef's knife out of the block. I peered down the slot and saw the unmistakeable silhouette of a cockroach, his wiry attennae twitching in the shadows. There was one in the cleaver slot, too, and another where the steel lived. I'm not a messy cook, nor a poor housekeeper. The house had been infested before we got there, it turned out -- not just roaches, but powder post beetles and some kind of water bug the name of which escapes me -- everything but termites. We moved shortly thereafter. This was 20 years ago, and thinking about it still gives me shivers.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Wow this is exciting.

DtheC, I do so understand the weighing of household disruption as part of any project -- as important as the financials, really, I think.

Go Metro (and Metro-likes)!

Thanks, Priscilla.

Do you remember if it's possible to mount the shelves upside down on Metro (and Metro-likes)? Seems like I could turn the top shelf into a lid holder that way.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I used to have a knife block that was part of one end of my center island, actually slots cut into the butcher block with an open space below. 

I found that I could not scrape the table top clean without stuff getting down into the slots, even when occupied by the knifes and when one of my high carbon steel knives developed some pitting I had that part sawn off and a solid piece replaced it. 

I like the mag stirps a lot better.

Thanks, Andie. I was thinking about a slot-like thing, and wondered what the drawbacks were.

So, mag strips it is. Now, where to put them? I'll likely be doing most of my knife work at the new table.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Wow this is exciting.

DtheC, I do so understand the weighing of household disruption as part of any project -- as important as the financials, really, I think.

Thanks, Priscilla.

Do you remember if it's possible to mount the shelves upside down on Metro (and Metro-likes)? Seems like I could turn the top shelf into a lid holder that way.

Not Priscilla, but a die-hard Metro fan. I think the black plastic bracket clips are what determine which way the shelves go on, snap them on upside down and you're good to go. Or do everthing right side up, with the idea of flipping it over when you're done. And do make sure if you're going to work at the unit that you have a nice ledge on whatever your work surface will be.

regards,

trillium

What is the configuration of the table?

A local chef, George Mills, has a bench/table in his kitchen that started out as a couple of steel fireproof file cabinets (2 drawer) onto which he had a slab of butcher block bolted.

Since these file cabinets weigh 350 pounds each, EMPTY, it is a good solid base.

He has the magnetic strips mounted under the center part of the top, about 6 inches in from the edge.

There is a wire shelf about 4 inches below that and another wire shelf near the bottom where he keeps large containers.

When you walk into the kitchen all you see is the edge of the table on which are some numbers and letters, (small metal numbers like one would mount on a mail box.)

12 R/H, 11 b, 9 ff, 8 c, 6 c, 8 s. 6 p, 5 p, 4 p. These are the only ones I recall offhand

I know the 12 is for a roast/ham slicer. I think the 11 is a bread knife.

The 9 is a flexible fillet knife, the 8 and 6 are chef's knives. I don't recall what the s is.

The others are paring knives.

He has several others but it has been a while and I simply can't recall them.

He has said that once he got used to reaching under the table top to grab them, as well as making sure they were in the same place each time they were put away (the number/letter system), it became automatic and he no longer even has to look to make sure he gets the correct knife.

I thought it was a nifty solution. He also says the knives are out of sight so someone wandering through the kitchen is not likely to walk off with one.

I saw a similar set up on one of the food tv shows about fantasy kitchens, however this was a horizontal knife block that rotated out from under the counter when one pushed on one end of the pivoting section. In this case the knife handles protruded a bit but that also was a rather classy way of storing knives.

One manufacturer makes a pivoting knife block, also mounted horizontally, which mounts under an over counter cupboard.

I didn't think that was as neat as the knive handles would be in the way of the counter beneath it, especially in cramped quarters.

Actually Wusthof makes it and it is on the same page as the magnetic strips but higher up the page.

Another question: who's going to give me a new red KitchenAid for Christmas?  :wink:

My guess is that would depend on how good you've been this year :biggrin:

To whom? It's not yet too late to start kissing up.

Santa knows. It may already be too late :raz:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Regarding the wire shelf units. If you have a Sam's Club locally, call and see if they have item # 659418. They don't show up on the web site, but locally the stores here have a good stock of them and they are $74.88 for the wheeled units with 6 shelves.

They are what I use in my storeroom for my collections of mixers, toasters and etc., which can be seen in my album which is open to public view. (go through ImageGullet)

These are 48 x 18 x 76" tall with the wheels.

However the uprights are modular and can be used with the optional (included) feet to make two shorter units.

The shelves are wide enough to hold standard full-size sheet pans which are what I use when I have things with feet or very heavy things that are hard to move on the grid surface.

They are very easy to assemble.

I think they are a great bargain, compared to the prices of many others. Having that extra shelf is also a big bonus.

While living in the first house I owned, a tiny movement caught my eye as I pulled the chef's knife out of the block. I peered down the slot and saw the unmistakeable silhouette of a cockroach, his wiry attennae twitching in the shadows. There was one in the cleaver slot, too, and another where the steel lived. I'm not a messy cook, nor a poor housekeeper. The house had been infested before we got there, it turned out -- not just roaches, but powder post beetles and some kind of water bug the name of which escapes me -- everything but termites. We moved shortly thereafter. This was 20 years ago, and thinking about it still gives me shivers.

Thank you so much for that, Dave! That was just what I wanted to hear. :blink:

(You just fell off my Xmas list. :laugh::laugh::laugh: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Wow this is exciting.

Thanks, Priscilla.

Not Priscilla, but a die-hard Metro fan. I think the black plastic bracket clips are what determine which way the shelves go on, snap them on upside down and you're good to go. Or do everthing right side up, with the idea of flipping it over when you're done. And do make sure if you're going to work at the unit that you have a nice ledge on whatever your work surface will be.

regards,

trillium

Yes (thank you Trillium) the shelves can go either direction.

AND now, thanks to this discussion, or as I should say, thanks to the Magic of eGullet, I have realized there is a small but incessantly nagging problem I am going to solve this weekend by turning the top shelf of my Metro unit ledge-side-up, so that things will not threaten to fall and konk me on the head so much.

I've used various of the shelves ledge-side-up in years past in different places, but apparently I'm storing different stuff up there now, and have been afflicted with cultural lag on this account. Aaah Metro -- the antithesis of built-in obsolescence.

DtheC, this would make a diff if you were stacking non-flat lids up there. Tremendous capacity, can't you just picture it? I've mentioned how I store flat lids in the Metro slots, but I do have one non-flat lid that bedevils me, a heavy lovely Descoware skillet lid. I have it hanging on an s-hook, an imperfect solution that has lasted many years. I think it could sit quietly up there behind its safety ledge with its friends the Texas Ware bowls and the salad spinner and the other things on the top shelf.

Also I'll be ruminating on squeezing another shelf in the midsection there, ledge-side-up, all shallow-like, for LIDS! And suchlike.

OK, now off to have a stiff drink in advance of a peek into the old knife block slots.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter