• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ahmedabad or Baroda?

Edward

Hello Everybody,

I have been a stranger these days, but I am about to embark on a journey. I arrive in Delhi this coming Tuesday and will be hanging around a little more since I will have a whole month of free time

If you had a choice between Ahmedabad and Baroda, where would you go for tasty cuisine? I am torn between the two and would love some advive.

Thanks

Edward

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Personally I'd pick Baroda.

Too late now....I'm heading off to Ahmedabad day after tomorrow. Some friends have mentioned some good things to do there. I am only staying 2 days before heading off to Bombay for a week. Do you know of any place good to eat at in Ahmedabad(for kutchh food or the like)?

Edward

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

...... Do you know of any place good to eat at in Ahmedabad(for kutchh food or the like)?

Edward

Try a Gujurati Thali in any of the Lunch Homes or Dining Halls. My memory is really foggy with respects to name. Ask a local to take you to one.

anil

Try a Gujurati Thali in any of the Lunch Homes or Dining Halls. My memory is really foggy with respects to name. Ask a local to take you to one.

Thanks, will do. I will post photos of the food when I get back home mid November.

Edward

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

you might want to zip up to Mount Abu, and old British Hill Station. My vague recollection of Ahmedabad, from 1988, is that it's a fairly industrial city.  But I only passed through.

Yeah, textile industry especially. I think. I have been told that it has some rather impressive musuems and , of course, Sabarmati Ashram. This week being Navaratri, there should be a chance to see danda rasa.

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Edward, you are in luck, I just received this press release:

The Government of Gujarat has organised a grand Navratri extravaganza from 14 to 22 October 2004, commencing with a mega cultural show performed by international, national and local troupes.

In addition, Seminars and Theme Pavilions on Adventure & Eco Tourism, Medical, Spiritual and Heritage Tourism are being organised. Moreover, a handicraft and handloom exhibition-cum-sale on products made by rural artisans with a food festival is to be held at the University Ground in Ahmedabad.

Navratri celebrations will be held across Gujarat and at major religious places of Ambaji, Bahucharaji and Pavagadh.

Food Festival

14 to 22 October 2004, 10 am to 12 midnight at Exhibition Venue 

Gujarati, Kathiawadi & other ethnic foods

Two food courts are being set up where well known caterers of Gujarat will offer heart warming and mouth watering recipes

Tourists and Visitors can savor multi ethnic food delicacies late into the night 

I envy you for being in the right place at the right time.

navrathri.jpg

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Edward, you are in luck, I just received this press release:

I envy you for being in the right place at the right time.

navrathri.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the info. I guess I am lucky I was able to get a train ticket considering all this going on. I will keep in touch here and let you know how things go.

Edward

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Edward,

Enjoy your trip, eat to your heart's content, take lots of food pics for us sad, green-with-envy folks who are waking up to grey skies and cold, wet mornings.

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

Suman

Edward,

Enjoy your trip, eat to your heart's content, take lots of food pics for us sad, green-with-envy folks who are waking up to grey skies and cold, wet mornings.

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

Suman

Thanks a lot. Remember, it may not be cold here in Delhi, but the sky is certainly grey...greyish-green to be exact!! :laugh:

Take care

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Edward....Edward, are you okay? Still eating?

Thanks. I am ok. Have had some amazing food here in Ahmedabad, especially at Aghashiye..which is on the rooftop of The House of MG. It was an all out Gujurati dinner with decked out waiters and brass plates and katoris. It started with a "welcome" of fried crunchies and sandwhich dhokla and nimbu sharbat.

Then it was chillas, bakhri, 3 vegetables(one was sweet) chaash, 2 pickles, garlic chatni, radish salad, kitcheree, kadhi, jeera rice, a raita with sweet tamarind sauce and pomegranite seeds, a type of kheer with charoli nuts, sweet seviya, kesar kulfi and then several churnas and mukhwas. Hands washed with warm rose-scented water at the beginning and end. It was wonderful.

The pollution here is not wonderful. I am off to Bombay tomorrow.

Edward

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com