• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain in DC for Book Signing

syzygy8

I'd be up for this.

I peeked at the book while waiting for Hillvalley at Politics and Prose last weekend. There are LOTS of bad words in it. I keep trying to add it to my library queue--I think it's a must-read. C'mon, it's TONY.

(with more thought...picturing a balance scale...) :hmmm:

Les Dames?.... low-rent?.... Les Dames?.... low-rent?....

I can't imagine Bourdain would actually prefer an evening with "Les Dames"

over a Low-rent Bash with us... I mean, come on! Let's get this together!

Tony, are you listening? :wub:

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

I hope I am not being naive, but I think the Press Club dinner might be a good time. When I called for a reservation, they informed me that: Anthony B would be working with the chef to prepare a five course meal/wine paring, representing recipes from his new book (which is excellent for those on the fence) and he will talk about each dish as he serves them. He also said Anthony will go around sit with every table for a little bit after he is done lecturing. That sounds like a deal for $80.00 I hope the crowd is not lame yuppy/VIP type though... and I like all of you would love to take that man out on the town. I want him to be as drunk as he was in the Russian episode, amazing...

Does anyone know the details on the Les Halles dinner? I have tried calling the number provided on the anthonybourdain.com site and no one ever answers. Is he cooking/hosting?

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know the details on the Les Halles dinner?  I have tried calling the number provided on the anthonybourdain.com site and no one ever answers.  Is he cooking/hosting?
Info and a link to buy tickets, which is now live, can be found here.
Erin

I want him to be as drunk as he was in the Russian episode, amazing...

Hmmm...are you referring to the book or the TV series episode? I feel embarrassed I don't recall that...

Resident Twizzlebum

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I read on another eG post that Chef B's going to hold a book-signing @ Les Halles, DC on Dec 6th. Can anybody confirm and provide additional information?

I found a schedule PDF on another eG post and called the number of the point of contact (Smithsonian Society). But, in the four business days since I've left messages (and made one more attempt), I have not received additional data.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

- CSR

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

The book publisher's website says this:

Date: 6 December 2004

7:00PM Restaurant Event

Les Halles Washington

Smithsonian Associates

Book Signing/Talk 1201 Pennsylvania Ave. NW

Washington, DC

For reservations call: (301) 279-2554

Did you tell them you have press credentials?

The book publisher's website says this:

Date: 6 December 2004

7:00PM      Restaurant Event

Les Halles Washington

Smithsonian Associates

Book Signing/Talk    1201 Pennsylvania Ave. NW

Washington, DC

For reservations call:    (301) 279-2554

Did you tell them you have press credentials?

Thanks for the reply, morela... those are the details I've received (just to confirm we have the same info). I've not reach anyone by voice and the phone number only IDs the digits dialed (which is standard) to obtain more info.

About the press cred's stuff... I'm employed privately, is this event marked as "press only"? Can I leverage my eG association?

Thanks!

- CSR

Edited by C_Ruark (log)
"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

Thanks for the reply, morela... those are the details I've received (just to confirm we have the same info).  I've not reach anyone by voice and the phone number only IDs the digits dialed (which is standard) to obtain more info.

About the press cred's stuff... I'm employed privately, is this event marked as "press only"? Can I leverage my eG association?

Thanks!

- CSR

Nah, it's open to public (nevermind the creditentials part)

I would say try this number (did you try both numbers?):

Event Information:

202-252-0012 or call the restaurant

It doesn't appear to be sold out, surprisingly.

(yes, I am bored)

Well, I made it through to the Smithsonian Associates folks... Chef B's event is sold out. :sad:

Thanks to all, for your help.

-CSR

• 2 weeks later...

So, who is going to the Press Club Dinner? I would love to meet some of you.

It looks like I bet on the wrong horse as the Les Halles dinner on Dec. 6th looks like more of a pleaser...

To the people talking about the previous Tony dinner's, did he write the menu?, Cook?

thanks.

sean

It looks like I bet on the wrong horse as the Les Halles dinner on Dec. 6th looks like more of a pleaser... To the people talking about the previous Tony dinner's, did he write the menu?, Cook? 

Based on my abysmal dinner at Les Halles last night (Sunday-night crew?), I pray for your sake (and his) that he's going to be cooking.

Yep

There was a semi private book signing last night at Les Halles. Afterwards Bourdain had dinner at the bar. Busboy (who along with the Mrs. gets all my love and devotion forever, not that he didn't have it already) and I had the excellent fortune of being invited to join him. We had a good meal and an even better hour of conversation.

His grillbitch, by the way, is great.

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Yep :biggrin:

There was a semi private book signing last night at Les Halles.  Afterwards Bourdain had dinner at the bar.  Busboy (who along with the Mrs. gets all my love and devotion forever, not that he didn't have it already) and I had the excellent fortune of being invited to join him.  We had a good meal and an even better hour of conversation.

How hung over were you today? :raz:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Yep :biggrin:

There was a semi private book signing last night at Les Halles.  Afterwards Bourdain had dinner at the bar.  Busboy (who along with the Mrs. gets all my love and devotion forever, not that he didn't have it already) and I had the excellent fortune of being invited to join him.   We had a good meal and an even better hour of conversation.

How hung over were you today? :raz:

Everyone was well-behaved and restrained. Dammit.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.