• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The 18th

MMerrill

We have an eveing meeting with a friend whose apartment's in the 18th, and want to wander out for drinks and perhaps a light meal (mid-week, October).  Any suggestions?

Yes, check my post of earlier this week on "2 pieces cuisine", it was terrific.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Where exactly will you be, in the 18th? There's a nice wine bar called La Petit Syrah, not far away from rue Lepic and les Abbesses. I one had some great spanish charcuteries -- don't order anything else, I remember food was otherwise really average. But the wine list is definitely great.

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

There's a nice wine bar called La Petit Syrah, not far away from rue Lepic and les Abbesses.

Good to know. I stay in the 18th when I visit Paris (Ermitage Hotel on rue Lamarck) and always like to have something local and recommended to add to my list.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Yes, check my post of earlier this week on "2 pieces cuisine", it was terrific.
Thanks - sounds good.
Where exactly will you be, in the 18th?
Don't know exactly where yet. Was told we could use Metro Abesses, Pigalle or Anvers. :hmmm: And thanks for your suggestions.

Great: the three subway stations are really close to each other. Rue Houdon, I guess, when you come from Pigalle, another bistrot with lots of wine: chez Grisette. I've been there many times, and always loved their charcuterie and cheese plates. Honestly, the rest is quite average, though not bad.

An old fashion Montmartre bistro, next to a theatre on place Charles Dullin: l'Entracte. Classic french fare with great fries, 35 to 45€ more or less. The place is quite small.

La Mascotte, on the rue des abbesses, if you're looking for a classic

brasserie with great oysters.

Do you need more, MMerrill?

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

Metro Abesses, Pigalle or Anvers

Just up the hill from the Abbesses Metro are two on Trois Freres; La Famille, loved by me the first time and I believe by F Simon and S Demorand still and Dan Bau, a one heart only in Figaroscope Sept 24; a Vietnamese place at 18, rue des Trois-Frères which has menus at 9.5 E (lunch) and 19.5 where I have not eaten.

chez Grisette. I've been there many times, and always loved their charcuterie and cheese plates. Honestly, the rest is quite average, though not bad.

An old fashion Montmartre bistro, next to a theatre on place Charles Dullin: l'Entracte. Classic french fare with great fries, 35 to 45€ more or less. The place is quite small.

La Mascotte, on the rue des abbesses, if you're looking for a classic

brasserie with great oysters.

I defer to Zouave on Chez Grisette and agree with him wholeheartedly on Montmartre restaurants in general. Caution about l'Entracte, as he says it is small and it features "boys' food"; addition, La Mascotte is one of "Amelie's" places, charming and not bad.

I still think 2 pieces cuisine, just a bit down the hill (to the North along the route St. Denis walked carrying his head), is a better bet.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris