• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Pellegrino Chinotto

The cheapest price I've found so far is 99 cents a can at IGA. Is it possible to buy Chinotto by the case? Or is there another supermarket that sells it for less than 99 cents?

What does it taste like? I did a google on it but didn't find any descriptions of it's taste. I'm awfully fond of their Limonata! :wub:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

The cheapest price I've found so far is 99 cents a can at IGA. Is it possible to buy Chinotto by the case? Or is there another supermarket that sells it for less than 99 cents?

I think Cioffi's has had it as low as 4.99 for a 6-pack. I'm there of Friday so I'll check for you.

wawairis ... you can google tastes? Cool! Invest 99 cents ... try some! It'll take you a couple cans, but you'll be hooked. I can't eat a prociutto panini without one.

A.

I'd try Bosa as they often have specials on Pelligrino.

As for the taste well..I'd call it an Italian version of a cola with that herbal bitter thing that they have in so many of their alcoholic beverages. An acquired taste like Campari or my favorite Fernet Branca (when I can find it) but addictive when, like Daddy A, you're munching on a Panini in little Italy.

when, like Daddy A, you're munching on a Panini in little Italy.

I was going to chastise you drinking soda in a land where you can buy little bottles of Campari and Soda, all ready for impromtu snacks, when I noticed the "little" preceeding Italy.

In Italy we couldn't find Campari & Soda in any grocery store we looked. We could find spirits, lots of wine, beer, but no Campari and Soda. Until one day, walking down the soda isle we found it next to the Pepsi and Coke. What is better than Italy?

Jamie, you need to get out here ASAP. I'll tour you around and open your eyes. Hell, Richmond is barely better than Burnaby. What ever you do, do not express the opinion again in public that Richmond vs. Venice is a push, your credibilty will suffer greatly.

The olive groves are beautiful out here though...

Cioffi's. $4.99 + $0.30 deposit + $0.06 environmental tax... so $0.89 a can. It took me a couple of cans to get used to the taste.... but now I'm hooked on the Chinotto. The other flavours are great too.

heh heh....I think Chinotto's pretty nasty too. It has an herbaceous, weird, slightly bitter aftertaste. My boyfriend loves it, however. He bought 24 cans from IGA yesterday--they gave him a 5% discount, so it still cost him 25 bucks. I was just wondering if there was a better deal in town, and I thought someone on egullet would know. :smile:

I won't lie: as a chinotto hardcore-fan I really don't understand how it is that people do not like this fantastic drink, or even prefer cola to it :blink::laugh: . Admittedly San Pellegrino is not really the best Chinotto out there, there are mellower ones.

I guess it's pretty much a cultural thing, we Italians are probably more used to bitter tastes than North Europeans and North Americans, though we're mere amateurs in comparison to the Chinese, and therefore appreciate thastes such as chinotto more.

BTW: We're having a discussion on Italian soft drinks over at the Italian forum and if you'de feel like adding your comments they'd be welcome and appreciated.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

try this kind of adult chinotto

fill a tumbler with ice cubes and fill 1/5 of the glass with campari, add a lime wedge and fill up with icecold, sparkling coke. close your eyes and it comes close. if you like a more bitter taste add angostura.

try this kind of adult chinotto

fill a tumbler with ice cubes and fill 1/5 of the glass with campari, add a lime wedge and fill up with icecold, sparkling coke. close your eyes and it comes close. if you like a more bitter taste add angostura.

My God! What a waste of perfectly good Campari! :raz:

Ling, Cioffi's is on Hastings in North Burnaby (4156 Hastings), near Anton's, the Apple Market and La Salza Mexican Deli.

Mmmmmm, Deli. I know where I'm going for lunch!

A.