• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GONGURA LEAVES

BBhasin

Dominos ' mutton gonghura pizza' looked interesting on the ' Pizza in Indian life ' thread, so I googled for mutton gongura and come up with some recipes.

They all call for gonghura leaves which I know nothing about.

Can the pundits enlighten me please? What are these, what kind of a taste or texture do they add to a dish and where can one find them ?

Thanks all

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Dominos ' mutton gonghura pizza' looked interesting on the ' Pizza in Indian life ' thread, so I googled for mutton gongura and come up with some recipes.

They all call for gonghura leaves which I know nothing about.

Can the pundits enlighten me please? What are these, what kind of a taste or texture do they add to a dish and where can one find them ?

Thanks all

Gongura: HIBISCUS CANNABINUS is the scintific term. It is a sour leaf, some times available in Indian stores. Katta dal tastes with these leaves is very good.

I have Gongura mamsam (Lamb) on my menu, which is quite a hit. It is typical South Indian.

Note: Just as a suggestion if you can't get your hands on the fresh leaves, try buying "Priya" gongura pickle and add it to your favorite dal or meat.

Edited by prasad2 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

i find gongura leaves at oriental markets very easily, they are usually labeled as sour leaves.

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

Gongura leaves are available in my regular grocery store under the label "sorrel leaves" .They are very sour and hence an automatic match with anything hot and spicy.They cook down quite a bit but the taste is quite sharp.

Edited by ravum (log)