• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New to London - truly great London institution?

Hi All

I have recently moved to London from LA. My wife's birthday and mine fall on this MOnday and Sunday respectively. We'd like to go out for a meal on Sunday night and would like to try one of the true greats of London. We have visited here before and tried J Sheekey and also Asia de Cuba (the latter of which is hardly a true London great!). I guess what I am after is the sort of place that you cannot leave London, after having lived there, without trying at least once. Bear in mind it's Thursday and I need a booking for Sunday night so nothing that has a 3 month waiting list is going to help me much...

Cheers All - look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks for those. Simpsons seems stodgy - St Johns is a glorified gastro pub with great food? Doesn't sound appropriate for a quiet dinner for two... Wiltons looks very traditional and inviting. We are big fans of tasting menus/degustation - I should have mentioned that in my last post :biggrin: ... Lindsey house sounds like it might be a good choice for that?

St Johns is a glorified gastro pub with great food? Doesn't sound appropriate for a quiet dinner for two...

Erm. There's lots of stuff on here about St John, but I think you're pretty wide of the mark there. It's a bit like saying Spagos is a good place to people watch.

I think the last thread on here about the Lindsay House http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=34860&hl=]wasn't hugely complimentary

I do find that St John frightens Americans. Maybe somewhere like Rules might be more appealing to you? Very English, lots of game etc etc

You could also try high-end Indian. I think they do a degustation menu at Rasoi Vineet Bhatia

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

If that's the case I probably found the wrong St John on line - will re-investigate.

Funny you should mention Rasoi Vineet Bhatia I had just been reading the link on it and yes, it does sound like an excellent choice that you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere else.

Just for the record, I am Australian so no doubt most of these places will scare me.... :biggrin:

If that's the case I probably found the wrong St John on line - will re-investigate.

I think there's a gastropub in Archway somewhere called St John.

You want the restaurant on St John Street in Smithfields (or its sibling St John Bread & Wine in Spitalfields)). Here you go.

clb

I think there's a gastropub in Archway somewhere called St John. 

You want the restaurant on St John Street in Smithfields (or its sibling St John Bread & Wine in Spitalfields)). Here you go.

clb

Yeah thanks found it. Very English sounding cuisine and also very tempting. I had St John confused with St Johns. Cheers.

Despite its all round wonderfulness, I wouldn't recommend St John as the place for a romantic meal for two, its way too noisey and far more appropriate for tables of 4 or 6. Sunday can limit your options a bit in London - Le Gavroche and Gordon Ramsay are not open for example. If you are talking high end then The Capital, The Square and Foliage are all open and have at least a sporting chance of being considered great. Vineet Bhatia is closed unfortunately.

no you found the right one.

Sunday night? maybe Wiltons on jermyn st, a true bastion of pompous english dining - I love it!!

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Hi All

After reading Andy's comments on Vineet Bhatia I changed my plans to Monday night, my wife's actual birthday, and will be heading along tonight! Thanks for everyone's help and I'll certainly post my impressions later in the week.

Cheers

My word! Absolutely superb. The mushroom khidchi with mahkani butter ice cream - truly inspired. Thought the lobster was a little underwhelming. The most substantial dish was the Lamb Korma which heaven - creamy, spciy buttery mouthfuls of love. Possiby the best curry I have ever tasted. Please go and sample Vineet's wares as soon as you can - he is in the kitchen every night that he isn't travelling in case you were wondering.

Word of warning, the 'wine waiter' (I don't think you could really call him a sommelier just the waiter with the best knoweldge of the wine list) recommended a glass of burgundy for the later dishes (lamb). Unfortunately, whilst being nicely paired with the lamb, had an awful reaction with the tamarind glazed quail the proceeded it, to the point where I thought the wine must have been corked or something. Make sure you time your libations correctly...

The half bottle of Pouilly Fume was a commendable partner to the first 5 or 6 dishes, in case anyone needs a suggestion.

Thanks