• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

visiting dallas

reesek

hi all,

i'll be in dallas this weekend for a concert and i'd love some help on dallas and ft. worth specialties.

there's always a catch, though - isn't there? we're staying with a friend in ft. worth who's a picky eater (no beef, no fish, no pork) i know. we eat fish and are juuust starting to flirt again with meat. the last time we were in town, our friend took us to a large tex-mex place in a strip mall which was pretty average.

i'm interested to know what the dfw area is famous for...hopefully i can gently suggest to our friend that we try a recommended spot...maybe someplace that's safe but dabbles in the extraordinary?

i absolutely swooned over Scott --- DFW's description of Lanny's Alta Cocina...perfect for me and BF, a bit "alta" for rick.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

We'll be glad to help, but it would help us help you if you can be more specific about your interests. What types of food, what price range and how far can you travel in the DFW area? And please clarify the situation: a place that has dishes with no fish, beef or pork (but poultry is okay?) for your friend AND a meat flirting dish for you two?

thanks richard,

sorry if i was vague...and it's not that dire! i think places with broad selection would be great - so the "bbq beef hut" and "the fishery" are out, but any place that offers a fish, a chicken and something else are fine...the only general wish i have is to try a place that a texan would be proud to go to...someplace typical (in the best way).

our friend lives in ft. worth. saturday night (the night of the show) we'll be in dallas (deep ellum?) at club indigo. I have no idea if we'll be eating there, but if it's a cool area, maybe we'll hang out there for a bit before the show. Is there a bar in that area you could suggest? Friday we're likely to be in Ft. Worth. Our friend has a car, but unfortunately i have no idea where in Ft. Worth he lives. There will be several of us for dinner on Friday, and it's me and a bunch of boys, so a reservation seems destined to fail. Is there a casual walk-in kind of place in Ft. Worth that you'd recommend? As far as price range - let's say mid-range...and i promise to come back for some haute cuisine another time. Thanks so much for helping - if you're ever in seattle - give a shout - the PNW board will be happy to lend a hand!

best,

reese

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

reesek -- People usually think of Texas iconic food as barbeque, steak and Tex-Mex, so you have given us quite a challenge. :biggrin:

When you say "moderate" do you mean under $25 for appetizer, main and dessert, (not including tax, tip and beverage)? Under $50, or what?

reseek: This is a no-brainer. If you are going to be at Club Indigo on Saturday night go to Monica's Aca y Alla, right down the street, before the show. It's unique and very well done tex-mex/mexican. The menu and prices can be found at Monica's. Sometime when you are back in deep ellum you must, absolutely must, go to The Green Room. I think it's more than what you are looking for on this trip as you can see on their website but it is a great place. You can just go there for drinks at the bar too.

By the way, this weekend is going to be crazy downtown. The TX/OU football game is on Saturday during the day and a lot of people from both schools stay the night and party. Go early and get settled whatever you decide to do.

No help on Ft. Worth. I don't know the town very well.

raynickben -

you're recs are wonderful. i drooled over the green room's site and i just happened to see that monica's has queso. :wub: i did, however, discover that plans have changed slightly...it's great to hear that it will be a big weekend. if you (or any of you texans) are up for a late night - please come to club indigo (my bf's band is playing at around 12.) i'll be the chick selling the shirts.

so we're having dinner at someone's house near to the club on saturday (i hold out hope that during sound check, monica and i can get to know each other over some queso) but friday is still open. thanks richard for the link to the ft. worth/dallas request...it's led me to a naive and possibly idiotic question about bbq - is the selection generally limited to beef, pork and chicken - or are there fish options too?

again a million thanks - (come to the show! :smile: )

reese

--6 Train

Well, Barbeque joints don't barbeque fish, but seafood places sometimes serve barbeque shrimp.

Seriously, you may want to check out The Cafe Modern at the Ft. Worth Museum of Modern Art. (See the link in the thread I linked above.) If they are still doing the First Friday thing, it's a time to cruise through the museum, listen to live music and eat in a restaurant that has had good reviews. While I have not made it there yet, it is a place I will get to before long.