• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cider Season!

The Doctor

Hi folks. I am a long time cider connoisseur. I spent the first 22 years of my life in upstate New York, which is big time apple country. Unfortunately, I've never had a car here in DC with which to explore local mills. I picked up a few gallons here and there at farmers markets, but was never impressed. Well, this is my first cider season in DC where I have a set of wheels.

Where is your favorite cider place in the area? I'd be willing to travel say, 30 miles or so for this tasty treat. But be warned, I am very picky. I'm not sure how regulations work down here, but I'm against thermal pasteurization or any of that stuff you find in the Whole Foods. I'll only drink cider that has undergone ultraviolet light processing, which leaves more of the flavor, texture, and appearance intact.

Thanks for looking!

The lead story in the food section of today's WA Post is "The Sweet, Sad State of Cider" WA Post Food , they say that Williams Orchard in Rappahanock county is the only remaining orchard in the county that makes & sells its own cider.

I went to Stribling Orchard in Markham last weekend to pick apples, they had cider, but I didn't notice if it was pasteurized, it was a fourth grade field trip, I was a little distracted...

Let us know what you find locally, I'd love to get some good, fresh cider & let it ferment in my garage all fall-a nice, simple way to ease back into homebrewing...

Wow, big coincidence, I hadn't even read today's paper yet!

But in 2003 and 2004, only 1.5 percent of U.S. consumers drank apple cider

That is so disappointing. If only more people knew the joys of cider as I do. If I could only have one drink for the rest of my life, it would be cider.

I also didn't think it would be that hard to find. It sounds like the folks at Williams Orchard are doing it right, but with a minimum of apple varieties. While Sunnyside pasteurizes their cider, I will give them credit for using a greater variety of apples. The article doesn't describe the cider-making process for either outfit, which can also be crucial. I managed to track down a site that gives a pretty accurate description of the proper way to extract the cider:

At Indian Ladder Farms cider is made from apples picked off the tree with surface blemishes that affect the appearance of the fruit but not the taste or freshness. We do not use apples that have fallen on the orchard floor in order to maintain the purity of the cider. Different varieties are blended together to achieve the best flavor.    The apples are washed and brushed, then put through a grinder that mashes them into a pulp. The pulp is then spread in a thick layer on a rack lined with heavy cloth. The pulp is wrapped in the cloth and topped with another rack upon which the process is repeated until a stack approximately ten high is formed. These bundles were called cheeses by early cider makers. The stack is then pressed until all the juice has been squeezed from the pulp. The juice runs out through the cider cloths and is collected in a vat beneath the press, then pumped into a refrigerated tank.

And lastly:

Let us know what you find locally, I'd love to get some good, fresh cider & let it ferment in my garage all fall-a nice, simple way to ease back into homebrewing...

While my cider knowledge is not endless, I do believe pasteurization prevents hardening of the cider. Ultraviolet processing (and obviously non-processed cider) will still allow fermenting. It's the perfect drink!

I drove past that place today. The woods behind it have been cleared and they are building homes. But, it looks like they are going to save the Cider Barrel. It appeared as if they were putting a new roof on it. I thought they were tearing it down when I first drive past, but on my way home they were covering the work area with a tarp.

I drove past that place today.  The woods behind it have been cleared and they are building homes.  But, it looks like they are going to save the Cider Barrel.  It appeared as if they were putting a new roof on it.  I thought they were tearing it down when I first drive past, but on my way home they were covering the work area with a tarp.

Oh that's good news! They were closed last season and we thought they were a goner.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Yeah, it was nice to see that they were preserving this quirky landmark even if they were building more McMansions.

:blink: But I thought everyone wanted to live in an enormous house on a 1/8th acre lot with 10 feet between your dining room window and your neighbor's and a Chili's, Outback AND a Macaroni Grill, all in a little pre-fab made-to-look-quaint "town center" within a 10-minute drive.

:blink: But I thought everyone wanted to live in an enormous house on a 1/8th acre lot with 10 feet between your dining room window and your neighbor's and a Chili's, Outback AND a Macaroni Grill, all in a little pre-fab made-to-look-quaint "town center" within a 10-minute drive.

So...you've been to southern California. Now you know why I can't wait to get back to DC....

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!