• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

College visit this weekend

sgschef

My daughter and I will be visiting GW, American and U of Maryland this weekend. We'll probably stay in Georgetown. Would you suggest fun/ethnic restaurants for Saturday and Sunday evening and perhaps a place to stay. Your recommendations are appreciated.

Hi sgchef,

Welcome to the DC/Delmarva board. What are your price limitations, if any? Are there any ethnic foods you don't like? What are your favorite restaurants where you live - that might help us make recommendations.

If you dig around recent discussions, you'll see some of our favorite spots...Nectar is one that might be convenient if you do decide to stay in Georgetown (try the Fairmont, which is where my own parents stay). Firefly in Dupont is awesome. Palena is a cab ride away, but the front room cafe menu is worth the trip.

Give us more info and we can help you better.

Hi sgchef,

Welcome to the DC/Delmarva board.  What are your price limitations, if any?  Are there any ethnic foods you don't like?  What are your favorite restaurants where you live - that might help us make recommendations.

If you dig around recent discussions, you'll see some of our favorite spots...Nectar is one that might be convenient if you do decide to stay in Georgetown (try the Fairmont, which is where my own parents stay).  Firefly in Dupont is awesome.  Palena is a cab ride away, but the front room cafe menu is worth the trip.

Give us more info and we can help you better.

The only our family ever goes to eat in Georgetown are Bistro Francais (mid-level French on 31st and M); Cafe La Ruche (pate sandwiches, omlettes and the like, sit in the garden if it's warm); Clydes (burgers everyday fare in a saloon atmosphere); and the Georgetown Bagle Bakery. Georgetown restaurants are widely dissed in this forum.

At the edge of Georgetown, walking distance, are the beloved Nectar whose co-owner is regular poster Hooligan; Mendocino Grill, run by the dedicated JRage, and the respected (beloved by me) Marcel's.

Personally, if I were coming into town I'd avoide the hassles of Georgetown and stay at the Carlysle Suites in Dupont Circle. It's more centrally located and walking distance to a Adams-Morgan, U Street and Dupont Circle, and many, many restaurants including Firefly, owned by JohnW of this board, and the legendary Bistro du Coin.

PS, if cost is no object, Michel Richard's Citronelle is the best French in the area, MarkSommelier, their Sommelier posts here, and the Lanthham Hotel in which it is located is very nice (they say).

Many of these restaurants have threads and all have reviews in the Washington Post and Washintonian Magazine.

edited to give JRage and Hooligan their proper restaurants back.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

We like Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Thai, , Middle Eastern. Dinner for about $50 would be great- a little more if it is worth it. Also ecletic/fusion-we are open to anything but steak house or chain restaurants. We will have a car, but will probably want to stay "around town". Thank you.

You should consider Ethiopian, if your feeling adventurous, as it is a DC specialty. Dukem at 11th and U and Addis Abbaba on 18th Street in Adams-Morgan are two of many good options. I'm a Sala Thai partisan, 21st and P, and like Mei Wah for chinese,21st and M. Heritage of India in Glover Park (Not dar from GU) is worth a splurge.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Hmm...$50 for two is definitely on the low side for DC. My favorite cheaper eats are found at the aforementioned Palena (the cafe, not the dining room), as well as Indique (just skip drinks and maybe share an appetizer). Both are discussed in detail within this forum.

Also Sette or 2Amy's for pizza. Matchbox for mini-burgers (though they're not quite what they used to be) and pizza in a fun, casual setting. Zaytinya if you're careful ordering.

Another hotel that has proven to be an occasional budget surprise (in a good way) is the Melrose Hotel.

Note: it's different than Melrose the restaurant.

There are plenty of nice-enough hotels in DC; the bigger risk is booking on in a less-than-desirable neighborhood. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to clear a location before booking.

I recommend a trip to Cleveland Park for Indique

If you need to stick in Georgetown, though, maybe Basil Thai at Wisconsin and Q or you could try a few $9 plates and wonderful rolls at Sushi-Ko (or since we're all recommending the most ethnic food of all, try pizza at Pizza Paradiso on M Street). Also, sushi at Dean & Deluca (on M Street) is a good bet if you just feel like picnicking close to GU campus or on the waterfront (for lunchtime).

Malaysia Kopitiam also on M Street (in the Downtown direction), although I haven't been in a while, has always been very good.

And if I were 17 I wouldn't mind doing a dinner at Nayla in Georgetown, because the ambiance is kinda cool and the food is fine (even if it is a chain)...

http://www.neyla.com/dir/menu/dinner.aspx

I recommend a trip to Cleveland Park for Indique

http://www.neyla.com/dir/menu/dinner.aspx

You beat me to it 'cause I was in class :wacko:

Sushi Ko, which is in between Georgetown and AU on Wisconsin Ave. has excellent sushi. I'd go with the Chef's sashimi plate. It is a work of art.

Enjoy your weekend. The weather is going to be absolutely perfect for walking around the city.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Heritage India serves wonderful food, but I find that the service ranges from surly to awful.  It is also, in my experience, pricier than Indique (they charge for rice, etc. for example).

I agree on both points, and I like do Indique more - in fact, Indique (along with Zaytinya) are the two restaurants I have trekked in from the burbs to more than any others.

The service when I have been to Heritage is not pleasant, but hasn't been particularly unpleasant either. I suspect that it might not be quite as good for women, as when I have been there with my wife, the questions and attention have been directed to me with her being almost ignored. This seems a typical attitude in many Indian restaurants, but certianly not Indique.

But I do like the more "traditional" cooking and style at Heritage, too, and it's closer to Georgetown.

Bill Russell

I would second the advice on staying in Dupont Circle or even Crystal City, over Georgetown. Taking advantage of DC's terrific public transportation (Metro) is a must, especially if your daughter is considering staying here. Also gives you more restaurant options. If you do stay in Georgetown, a couple of recommendations: I haven't been since it first opened, but Cafe Divan on Wisconsin Ave. for Turkish food; and (again) Heritage India on Wisconsin Ave. for Indian. I am a huge fan of Indian food, and think it's better quality than Indique -- although not as cool a setting. No Metro for these two places on Wisconsin Ave., though.

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!