• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jacques Pepin's new TV show

Vervain

Did anyone get the chance to see Jacques' new TV show: Fast Food My Way ? It was on here in L.A. last night at 5 p.m. (a really weird time--we taped it).

First let me say that I love that man, I really love that man! :wub: ! I've learned so much from him over the years.

As with his other shows, Pepin is pretty much all business and no flash. And it's such a relief! He doesn't kvell over his own saute skills or have an orgasm over the taste of his own food. He does taste things, but responds in a completely natural way. If something tastes good, he says so without getting weak at the knees.

What I did notice, and have been curious about, is that once again we get to witness his undying love-affair with (good quality) apricot jam.

Here's the show's web link: http://www.kqed.org/w/jpfastfood/home.html

Emily

...once again we get to witness his undying love-affair with (good quality) apricot jam.

I was drooling as he was pouring the jam over that cake. I make a similar almond cake and am planning on trying his embellishments!!! :wub:

And can't agree with you more about the man himself. He'd be one of the invitees to my dream dinner party...

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Can't wait to see the series. I'm having dinner with him tomorrow night!

Well, okay, I'm paying $250 for two and it's a dinner/book signing event at a local restaurant. :biggrin: Dinner will be using recipes from the new book.

I agree with the notion "If something tastes good, he says so without getting weak at the knees."

He's a class act.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I agree with the notion "If something tastes good, he says so without getting weak at the knees."

:cool:

Pretty much the same as in the Julia and Jacques programs: the highest praise I ever saw from him for something they'd prepared was a nod and an "Umph. Good." Maybe a smile. Then it was right back to business, making more great food.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Well, okay, I'm paying $250 for two and it's a dinner/book signing event at a local restaurant.  :biggrin: Dinner will be using recipes from the new book.

In mid-November, he's doing a dinner here in DC at the Four Seasons, for $150 a head. Recipes from his "Fast Food" book.

Let us know how it goes, what you are served, etc. I am trying to decide if I want to pay 150 or not for "fast food his way"...

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

First let me say that I love that man, I really love that man! ...  He doesn't kvell over his own saute skills or have an orgasm over the taste of his own food. He does taste things, but responds in a completely natural way.

I read his autobiography, or memoir, "The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen" last year, and I highly recommend it (if you haven't already read it). If you love him, you'll love the book too.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

What a lovely, gracious man he is. I saw him recently at a book signing/lunch at the Getty Center in Los Angeles. He briefly spoke to the lunch crowd, ending with asking everyone to raise a toast to Julia. Then he made the rounds and visited every table. I have also read "The Apprentice" and loved it. I'm a fan for life.

Hmm...It does not seem that our local Houston PBS has the show in its  programming.

WNET's website doesn't seem to turn up any listing, either. I've always liked Pepin's shows.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm just amazed that it's not playing on WNET or in Houston. Did you check the list on the website I mentioned in the first post? When you get to the home page, click on "Program" and then click on "national broadcast schedule." It will list all the markets and dates/times. We can get two (sometimes three) public television stations here, so maybe it's playing on one of your alternate stations.

Emily

The list of times and stations in various cities is here alphabetical by state. I cannot believe that it is not in Houston. GRRRRR!!! I always liked him, a lot. Then I read the Apprentice book. Now I absolutely adore him. I can't believe that our rotten local station doesn't have this show. Get a rope!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The list of times and stations in various cities is here alphabetical by state. I cannot believe that it is not in Houston. GRRRRR!!! I always liked him, a lot. Then I read the Apprentice book. Now I absolutely adore him. I can't believe that our rotten local station doesn't have this show. Get a rope!

PBS usually rotates its schedules. I live in Dallas and my parents are in Houston. One week I was down and happened to catch their "cooking show block" and it was repeats of what I had seen two weeks before. So hold out for hope!

Here's the DirectTV schedule for the show, you may have to adjust the settings to see it for your time zone.

The problem with these listings for DirecTV is that these stations are only available for people that live in the specific city. DirecTV is not allowed to provide these stations to anyone living outside a 75-mile radius of the broadcast area of each station. Part of some silly FCC bureaucratic rule.

I saw an episode this weekend that aired on Fresno's PBS (KVPT) station. It went by surprisingly fast.

In the show, ironically, one dish that he made was melon with proscuitto (see the "William Grimes on 30-Minute Meals, No fan of Rachel Ray, he...." discussion).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

He doesn't kvell over his own saute skills or have an orgasm over the taste of his own food. He does taste things, but responds in a completely natural way. If something tastes good, he says so without getting weak at the knees.

I guess if I ever got my own show I'd irritate the heck out of you. Watching me do the "Snoopy dance" over the taste of a really good sauce is a frequent diversion for the girls across at our coffee bar. :raz:

(I really, really love what I do...)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Saw PJ's solo show last Saturday. I've never seen anyone handle kitchen instruments and ingredients like he does. Fantastic.

BTW, his slow baked salmon looked interesting, but I didn't catch how many hours he cooked it at 200F. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Saw PJ's solo show last Saturday.  I've never seen anyone handle kitchen instruments and ingredients like he does.  Fantastic.

BTW, his slow baked salmon looked interesting, but I didn't catch how many hours he cooked it at 200F.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

40 to 45 minutes according to the recipe on his website:

Click Here.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver