• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orgeat

Rien

I haven't made orgeat in a while but I saw this method for almond milk online and thought I would throw this into the mix.  It recommends using almond butter and milk and putting them in the blender. I think upthread the idea to throw Almonds in a blender is put out there and this just makes it that much easier.  

You could take two tracks to orgeat.  You could make the almond milk then put it on the stove top and add sugar etc.  or you could add sugar syrup, rose water etc to the blender and then strain. 

It would probably be best best to use fresh ground almond butter which is fairly common in natural food stores. Almond milk

• 4 weeks later...

I read as far back through the 15 pages in this thread as I was willing to without finding what I was looking for, so I'll risk a repeat question and ask. Can I make a large batch of orgeat and freeze it in smaller portions (probably 8 oz) to pull out as needed without any major reduction in quality?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

50 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I read as far back through the 15 pages in this thread as I was willing to without finding what I was looking for, so I'll risk a repeat question and ask. Can I make a large batch of orgeat and freeze it in smaller portions (probably 8 oz) to pull out as needed without any major reduction in quality?

I never tried but would be concerned that the orgeat might separate in an irreversible manner, and that you won't be able to re-homogenize it and get everything back into suspension.

The good news is that it keeps for a fairly long time in the fridge. I keep mine under inert gas and am able to keep it for a few months; a little shake before use is all it needs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I never tried but would be concerned that the orgeat might separate in an irreversible manner, and that you won't be able to re-homogenize it and get everything back into suspension.

The good news is that it keeps for a fairly long time in the fridge. I keep mine under inert gas and am able to keep it for a few months; a little shake before use is all it needs.

I think I won't risk the freezing then. If I can get even a couple months out of a batch, I'll be happy. Thanks!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

My home-made stuff lasts for many months in the fridge, even without inert gas. It separates, but a shake fixes it. I always give it a sniff before use, just in case, but it's been fine.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

2 hours ago, lesliec said:

My home-made stuff lasts for many months in the fridge, even without inert gas. It separates, but a shake fixes it. I always give it a sniff before use, just in case, but it's been fine.

As it turns out, I got an email the day after asking this question informing me that the Canadian online cocktail supply place I usually use finally restocked the BG Reynolds syrups after a long draught so my little flurry of "I'll make my own everything" enthusiasm has rode off into the sunset. With apologies for my lack of embracing the true craft spirit, my homemade stuff comes from necessity. I'm just not that dedicated when I don't have to be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lesliec said:

I never said the orgeat around here spoiled.  It just doesn't last long.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to make the Milk Street version of an updated Old Fashioned  here.

But I can't find Orgeat anywhere around here.  Is there a suitable substitute for it?

Edited by lindag (log)

If you can't find it locally and are not interested in mail-order, there are a number of DIY recipes here on the site and elsewhere on the web. The simplest way to fake it may be to follow this emergency orgeat recipe which involves almond milk, sugar, orange blossom water, rose water, and rum (or this one which is almond milk, simple syrup, almond extract, and orange flower water) and takes less time than the real thing. But if you have a little time, making the real thing isn't too difficult at all. 

If even the least of these is still more effort than you want, you could look for the clear almond syrup that is sometimes found in stores among coffee flavorers. 

Edited by Craig E (log)

2 hours ago, lindag said:

I wanted to make the Milk Street version of an updated Old Fashioned  here.

But I can't find Orgeat anywhere around here.  Is there a suitable substitute for it?

I'm a fan of the orgeat @feste sells.  In fact I opened a fresh bottle last night.

https://smallhandfoods.com/store/orgeat

4 hours ago, lindag said:

So what do you use the orgeat for?

My evening mai tai, most usually.  Also nice in a Trinidad sour or Japanese cocktail.  And who could forget Autumn in Jersey?  Autumn is my favorite season.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I decided to try the updated Kaiser Penguin orgeat recipe (http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/the-perfect-orgeat-syrup-recipe/) over the weekend, because why not I guess. It's touted as being easy, but after toasting almonds and letting them cool, crushing by hand (though I see no reason to not use the food processor) and then letting it sit for 12 hours, the D&C or any number of other recipes are definitely easier. However, the syrup itself is a dark brown instead of the typical milky white due to using skin-on almonds, and it does seem to impart a slightly different flavor that I like. Plus it doesn't make every orgeat drink look like light and sweet Dunkin Donuts coffee, which typically doesn't bother me but sometimes is not as appealing.

Long story short, glad I made it once but probably will go back to the D&C recipe, or try the one @FrogPrincesse posted about with the cardamon and macadamia, that looks great.

• 2 years later...

It's been a couple years...  Anyone currently making their own orgeat?  Over the decade I've spent more on @feste's orgeat than any one human should.  Sadly she seems to be having logistics problems.  I can't do without orgeat so I need to learn how to make my own.

Charles H. Baker Jr. published an orgeat recipe from 1817 but it has 2 cups of rosewater to 2 pounds of almonds, and no sugar.  That's in addition to the orange flower water.  Since Baker calls this a syrup I'm sure sucrose must be in there somehow.  Did rosewater use to have been sweet?

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It's been a couple years...  Anyone currently making their own orgeat?  Over the decade I've spent more on @feste's orgeat than any one human should.  Sadly she seems to be having logistics problems.  I can't do without orgeat so I need to learn how to make my own.

Charles H. Baker Jr. published an orgeat recipe from 1817 but it has 2 cups of rosewater to 2 pounds of almonds, and no sugar.  That's in addition to the orange flower water.  Since Baker calls this a syrup I'm sure sucrose must be in there somehow.  Did rosewater use to have been sweet?

I like this recipe. https://thedrinkblog.com/homemade-orgeat/ I use skin off almonds,  I also like toasting the blanched almonds before proceeding.

• Thanks 1

Here's the recipe I put together the last orgeat phase - of course if you don't have a thermomix - blender and heating I'd say

Orgeat

Recipe By: various

250 gram blanched almonds
400 gram water
350 gram sugar
50 ml vodka or brandy
1 or 2 drops bitter almond oil
3 drops mixture of half cap of orange flower water , and half cap of rosewater

Directions:

soak almonds for 30 minutes, discard water

grind in TMX, heat with water at 50 C for 15 minutes, strain through cloth, squeeze.  Repeat two more times.  (you are adding back the almonds to the same water you squeezed them from each time)

Add sugar and heat until dissolves.  

Cool 15 minutes, add liquor and flavour ingredients.  

Bottle.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Here's the recipe I put together the last orgeat phase - of course if you don't have a thermomix - blender and heating I'd say

Orgeat

Recipe By: various

250 gram blanched almonds
400 gram water
350 gram sugar
50 ml vodka or brandy
1 or 2 drops bitter almond oil
3 drops mixture of half cap of orange flower water , and half cap of rosewater

Directions:

soak almonds for 30 minutes, discard water

grind in TMX, heat with water at 50 C for 15 minutes, strain through cloth, squeeze.  Repeat two more times.  (you are adding back the almonds to the same water you squeezed them from each time)

Add sugar and heat until dissolves.  

Cool 15 minutes, add liquor and flavour ingredients.  

Bottle.  

To blanch and toast, that is the question.  Actually it is two questions.  And unless I am missing something this recipe is not heating the sugar to the syrup stage.  Does the heat necessary to form a syrup do something untoward towards one's almonds?

Kerry, I have a Kuvings.

23 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

To blanch and toast, that is the question.  Actually it is two questions.  And unless I am missing something this recipe is not heating the sugar to the syrup stage.  Does the heat necessary to form a syrup do something untoward towards one's almonds?

Kerry, I have a Kuvings.

Blanch yes, toast no. Sugar added and heated just until dissolves - no syrup made. Might be fun to see what would happen using the Kuvings.

47 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Blanch yes, toast no. Sugar added and heated just until dissolves - no syrup made. Might be fun to see what would happen using the Kuvings.

Nuts.com just made my delivery.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have been making my own for 10+ years now (recipe at this link; it is based on Jeff Berry's recipe). I tried various commercially-produced orgeats, Small Hand Foods included, and always come back to homemade because I prefer the flavor. I also find that homemade has a much longer shelf life.

I really do not care for the toasted almond or marzipan flavor. I am more into a fresh/green almond flavor when I make mine, and I do not toast the almonds.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I have been making my own for 10+ years now (recipe at this link; it is based on Jeff Berry's recipe). I tried various commercially-produced orgeats, Small Hand Foods included, and always come back to homemade because I prefer the flavor. I also find that homemade has a much longer shelf life.

I really do not care for the toasted almond or marzipan flavor. I am more into a fresh/green almond flavor when I make mine, and I do not toast the almonds.

Looks like the basic recipe I started with too!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What is the purpose of blanching?  I'd be inclined to use raw, unblanched nuts.  (Not that I am lazy.)

Colour, bitterness

• Thanks 1