• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orgeat

Rien

Great info, thanks. (My e-mail notification is completely random, so I'm sorry not to respond sooner. I honestly thought that since no one answered, none of you really knew what to do with the stuff :laugh: )

We were at a cocktail bar the other day, and I noticed that they subbed Cointreau for the Curacao, so that might be an option.

We'll give the Japanese cocktail a try, it sounds intriguing.

Uh, I'm a sissy-girl, I think the Fog Cutter would KILL me. That is a whole load of booze: rum, gin, brandy, and sherry.

Oh, look. It's cocktail time in Umbria, I just placed my order with my personal bartender, I'd like an adapted Japanese cocktail. I'll let you know how it goes.

But, Cocktail Historians: why is it called a Japanese cocktail?

I've been fiddling around with the Mikado, which has no citrus:

2 oz brandy

1/2 oz orgeat

1/4 oz curacao

2 dashes bitters

This is one (of many, many) drinks where the Fee's whiskey barrel aged bitters really shines; Angostura is a fine choice too.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

The story/legend/theory goes that it was created in honor of the visit to New York by the first Japanese dimplomatic mission to the United States., which occured just a few years before the recipe was first published in Jerry Thomas' 1862 Bon Vivant's Companion. Full story here.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

The Gaby de Lys (Charles Baker?) is another nice feature for quality Orgeat, not dissimilar to the Japanese.

I'll have to check for exact amounts later tonight, but the ingredients are: Gin, Orgeat, Absinthe, and Bitters.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The story/legend/theory goes that it was created in honor of the visit to New York by the first Japanese dimplomatic mission to the United States., which occured just a few years before the recipe was first published in Jerry Thomas' 1862 Bon Vivant's Companion. Full story here.

Great bit of history. Kind of makes you wish you knew Tommy, he sounds like someone you would want to have a cocktail with.

Great bit of history. Kind of makes you wish you knew Tommy, he sounds like someone you would want to have a cocktail with.

Ain't that the truth

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

The story/legend/theory goes that it was created in honor of the visit to New York by the first Japanese diplomatic mission to the United States., which occured just a few years before the recipe was first published in Jerry Thomas' 1862 Bon Vivant's Companion. Full story here.

Ain't that the truth

Huh. I wonder if he's also the one who did the sketches of all the cities they visited? Our copy of the sketchbook isn't signed, but in addition to drawing the city views, the artist also draws sketches of the hotel rooms themselves - so on the facing page to this Capitol view, there's a drawing of the hotel room in the Willard the artist was staying in. Now, if he'd drawn a picture of the bar, that might be more of a clue. :laugh: The date of the delegation was 1860, so that's consistent with the Thomas story.
"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

The Gaby de Lys (Charles Baker?) is another nice feature for quality Orgeat, not dissimilar to the Japanese.

I'll have to check for exact amounts later tonight, but the ingredients are: Gin, Orgeat, Absinthe, and Bitters.

FWIW, Embury lists the proportions at 1 part orgeat, 4 parts gin, 3-4 dashes absinthe, but omits the bitters. I wonder what peach bitters would be like in this?

I know vodka isn't the most popular base spirit around these parts, but another drink that would be a good showcase for quality orgeat is the Pearlescent from Wondrich's Killer Cocktails: vodka, orgeat, maraschino, lemon peel. (Proportions in this thread.) It's a nice drink even with the commercial Marie Brizard orgeat I have, and I bet it'd be stunning with the homemade stuff.

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

FWIW, Embury lists the proportions at 1 part orgeat, 4 parts gin, 3-4 dashes absinthe, but omits the bitters. I wonder what peach bitters would be like in this?

[...]

Oops! Baker doesn't use bitters either: Gaby Des Lys Cocktail; 1 jigger dry gin; 1/2 pony orgeat; 1 scant teaspoon of Absinthe. Frappe with ice and pour into a cocktail glass.

I believe they do add some bitters of some sort when they make it at Beretta here in San Francisco.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a drink using the Art of the Bar lavender honey syrup, orgeat and WT 101 bourbon (1/2:1/2:2). Don't try it: waaaaay too sweet. But it was prompted by a query from a friend who liked that syrup and orgeat and wondered about a combo. Makes me wonder about using lavender in the orgeat. Thoughts?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 1 month later...
I would say that Grand Marnier is a better sub for Curacao in a Mai Tai...

I did a GM Mai Tai last night and it came out really nice... and if there is one drink that I have down to a science it is this one.

By the way, not to get off of the orgeat subject too much, but in Tiki Road Trip, I suggest Appleton VX and St. James for rums in a Mai Tai, but lately I have been getting great results with just Brugal.

-James

My new book is, "Destination: Cocktails", from Santa Monica Press! http://www.destinationcocktails.com

Please see http://www.tydirium.net for information on all of my books, including "Tiki Road Trip", and "Big Stone Head", plus my global travelogues, and more!

Bula Mai Tai El Dorado 5 Year, Lime, House Made Roasted Orgeat

This is a new cocktail on The Violet Hour Autumn menu. Steven is roasting the almonds for the home-made orgeat and then adding bitter orange, orange and rose water. It is f%$king awesome! It is so much more complex and deep, and rich, and perfect than anything I have ever tasted in the orgeat family.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Steven is roasting the almonds for the home-made orgeat and then adding bitter orange, orange and rose water.  It is f%$king awesome!  It is so much more complex and deep, and rich, and perfect than anything I have ever tasted in the orgeat family.

That sounds so f'n delicious! Any way I could talk a recipe out of you Toby?

Small Hand Foods

classic ingredients for pre-prohibition era cocktails

Does anyone know of any really great drinks that feature tequila and orgeat?

Here's one. I don't know if it is any good - I found it while searching for drink recipes with orgeat. If nothing else, it might give you some ideas.

Steven is roasting the almonds for the home-made orgeat and then adding bitter orange, orange and rose water.  It is f%$king awesome!  It is so much more complex and deep, and rich, and perfect than anything I have ever tasted in the orgeat family.

The roasting is genius. I've got my first batch of orgeat on the stove (FX method), and I did a light roast of the almonds under the broiler. (Roasting? Toasting?) As they were heating, all the oils came to the surface and they took on an amazing fragrance. Mai Tais mañana.

Edited to say that if you click on "orgeat syrup" on the site above, it will lead you to more drink recipes.

Edited by lperry (log)

Many thanks to all the orgeat experimenters who posted here. I tasted my finished product, and it is fantastic. All I had tried before was Monin, and there is no comparison.

I ran into only one problem when I couldn't find my cheesecloth, so I substituted with a potato ricer. I figured if it would smash all the water out of frozen spinach, it would work for almond bits, and I could probably get more leverage from a device that was built for crushing. A few pieces of almond made it into the first "riced" batch, but I just poured that through a tea strainer and it worked just fine.