• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco Saturday Lunch

John Talbott

Hi - This is my first time on this part of the site and I'm not sure of the ambiance but you all seem pretty cool and informed, so the question:

We have one food opportunity which is Saturday lunch (it's a long story); we'll have a car. Ideas? Our criteria are (1) interesting food (2) any ethnic type but probably not French - d/t my being spoiled living in Paris and (3) decor immaterial.

Thanks.

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

When are you coming? The weather would change things...

Do you like to hike (or at least stroll through the flat part of Muir Woods?)

Do you want to see the ocean/ drive along the coast? Go up to the wine country?

How many hours do you have? You can get to a lot of places in a 1-2 hour radius from SF.

Since "decor is immaterial" the first thoughts that come to mind are Taylor's Refresher in St. Helena (the quintessential American Drive-In experience, except they serve wine) or one of the taco trucks (at best, there will be a picnic table for your dining pleasure.) There's a whole thread on the taco trucks & someone's posted pictures of Taylor's Refresher.

Another thought is a drive down Highway One. You could get all the way down to Gayle's Bakery in Santa Cruz in about an hour. (both she and her husband have written cookbooks-the food is terrific, and again, it's a real American experience.) You could drive back up through the redwoods.

There is also something called "The 49-Mile Drive" in San Francisco proper. It goes through all the neighborhoods, so you could just stop and pick up a bite at multiple places. There are street signs and books that will tell you the details.

Last but not least, you could come to Berkeley and have lunch at Chez Panisse. Then go across the street to The Cheeseboard Collective to take a look at the some of best the Bay Area has to offer. You could buy a slice of pizza and/or some bread there-it is unbelievable. We could give you directions to Berkeley Bowl so that you can see the best of the Bay Area produce.

When are you coming? The weather would change things

I'm afraid I conveyed the wrong message. We're not touring but we are coming in 3 days. Weather no problem.

Yes, we've done the Muir woods and Sonoma & Napa, Chez Panisse, Highway 1, "The 49-Mile Drive," etc (we come every year). This time though it's for a memorial service in Carmel and thus we just have a few hours in downtown SF before the plane home and that's where we're aiming to eat. Sorry for the confusion of my telegraphic post.

John Talbott

After reading your many insightful posts in the France forum, I hope we can steer you in the right direction. My first recommendation for a Saturday lunch would be the Chez Panisse Cafe in Berkeley. http://www.chezpanisse.com/ There is some French influence, but it's not a French restaurant by any means. Compared to Paris bistros, it is going to seem expensive, but well worth the money in my opinion.

Edited by Carlsbad (log)

I just saw your last post. You might like L'Osteria del Forno, 519 Columbus Ave. (between Green & Union) in North Beach. Very small, simple (in a good way) Italian- very reasonable prices, no reservations, no credit cards.

I've always enjoyed the Slanted Door for Vietnamese food, although I haven't been there since they moved, and many people on here don't like it that much. It's in the Ferry Building at the foot of Market now. http://www.slanteddoor.com/ I have also had some good lunches at Betelnut on Union Street.

You could always have dim sum at Ton Kiang or one of the many other places that serve it.

John,

Paris does better than SF in more than just French food, but also Vietnamese and North African--so you definitely want to give the Slanted Door a pass.

I would suggest you go to a place that truly represents the terroir of the Bay Area, like Zuni or Chez Panisse cafe. Zuni is in the city and very near to 101 entrance so it would be an easy place for you to get to the airport afterwards. Zuni is *very* Bay Area--something you simply can't get anywhere else in the world.

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Saturday lunch is one of the toughest calls there is, unfortunately.

I'd second Zuni or Chez Panisse, and here are just a few other ideas:

For typical American-style brunch you might consider Ella's, Mama's on Washington Square or Liberty Cafe.

The other suggestion I'd make is that you consider dim sum. Both Yank Sing and Koi Palace have their supporters. I've had good meals at both, but unfortunately I don't know enough about dim sum to recommend one over the other.

Finally, the Last Supper Club does an Italian-American style brunch which I've enjoyed, though I have not been there in quite some time.

Hope this helps at least a bit. I'll keep trying to come up with more suggestions.

Cheers,

Squeat

Edit to add: Another vote against Slanted Door -- don't waste your time.

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

Since you've seen most of the sights before (and on behalf of all of us, thank you for leaving your tourist dollars in our area!) I'd plan on eating somewhere between Carmel and the SF airport. You can either drive up Highway One, or since you will have seen the ocean in Carmel, up Highway 9 to 35, then cut over to the airport. That will take you through some wonderful redwoods.

How about dim sum? Koi Palace is south of SF (not too far from the airport.) Crazy, crowded waiting area but the BEST dim sum.

Also, I've had some terrific Vietnamese & Thai food down in San Jose, but at places I've just stumbled onto, don't know the name of, and couldn't find again. There are also some great casual Indian restaurants down that way.

Depending on exact timing, there are also some great places to eat in Santa Cruz...

I'm sorry to hear you are coming for such a sad occasion. October is one of the most beautiful months in the Bay Area; I hope the ocean or the redwoods on a beautiful fall day gives you comfort.

Edited by marie-louise (log)

A few more ideas:

Greens is justly famous for its delicious vegetarian fare and is a great lunch spot, with a view of the marina and the Golden Gate Bridge.

I've never been, but many people enjoy Farallon in Union Square for seafood.

I've had good luck with the Garden Court in the Palace hotel. A gorgeous room with straight-ahead California/American food.

Moose's is a fun San Francisco experience serving 'New American Cuisine'. I've had several excellent lunches here, but haven't been since Morgen Jacobson became chef.

I checked each of these on opentable.com, and each has tables available on Saturday.

Cheers,

Squeat

Thank you all so very much.

I didn't realize so many of you are such helpful contributors to the French site (and I'm in awe of your endurance for that flight); it seems like old home week.

I'm disappointed to hear that the Slanted Door is no longer good, I've been only 2-3 times but liked it. And I think I'll also try something different from Zuni or Panisse since I'm also fairly familiar with them.

Actually, about the airport area, since we're taking the red eye, I was planning on eating around there for supper. The only place I really know is the Chinese place right across the Freeway; so I'd be interested in other ideas, we have time to go a bit away from the Millbrae/San Bruno axis and ethnic sounds terrific.

Again thanks to you all.

See you in Paris

John

John Talbott

Wow... just found out one of my absolute favorites, Limon, serves lunch on Saturday! If you want to try some simply smashing Peruvian/Nuevo Latino fare, see if you can book in here. (They don't seem to list at opentable.com, so I can't tell if they have tables available on Saturday.) Highly recommended by me. You can't go wrong.

Squeat

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

Wow... just found out one of my absolute favorites, Limon, serves lunch on Saturday! If you want to try some simply smashing Peruvian/Nuevo Latino fare, see if you can book in here. (They don't seem to list at opentable.com, so I can't tell if they have tables available on Saturday.) Highly recommended by me. You can't go wrong.

Squeat

Done, booked, thanks.

Now any thots about the airport?

John Talbott

Cool. Let us know how you like it.

Sorry, I'm no good for around the airport. I don't drive, so it's always a straight shot in a cab to the airport and back for me, with no dining stops. Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions.

Done, booked, thanks.

Done, booked, thanks.

Hong Kong Flower Lounge in Millbrae (at the corner of El Camino) is my favorite dim sum place in the Bay Area, they would definitely be worth a try. Nearby Fook Yuen is also quite good. Sakae in Burlingame is reputed to have good sushi, but I haven't tried it yet. Little Sichuan in San Mateo (3rd Ave exit, not too far from the airport) has pretty good Sichuan food, especially if you order from the Sichuan specialties (which are translated in English).

Wow, you came to Santa Cruz (my town)? O'mei is really good, though I haven't been there in so long. I love their basil eggplant (so much that I had to learn how to make it myself).

What did you have, or would it bore you to tell?

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Not certain what John Talbott ate but on a visit to O'mei last month, I had some divine items: red oil dumplings with rice-smoked chicken wings, a superbly light and sweet chinese chicken salad, and their apricot almond chicken were all amazingly tasty! I have been going there on my trips for several years and am never disappointed.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"