• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions needed

Curlz

Trying to help out a friend...does anyone know of a place on the NY/CT border that could accommodate a large (20+) group for lunch? He's trying to arrange an antique car show along with it, so it would also need a big parking lot to display the cars. His thought was an inn of some sort, but he's open to all suggestions. I'm trying to get add'l details from him and will post when I have them.

Thanks in advance!!

Curlz

Edit: He says...

We are totally open in terms of price and location. We wanted to drive up through nice old country roads with our classics for about an 1hr or 1hr and half and then have nice lunch and drive back through other fun back windy backroads... we had hoped to go to the INN AT POUND RIDGE but they are closed on Saturdays... so mostly just looking for a fun drive on small back roads and a nice place for lunch with parking lot--- classic Inn preferred but others possible.

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Have you thought of the Bear Mountain Inn?

Maybe that's not really in the same territory. But they have lots of space as I recall.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Route 7 in Ridgefield has a Ridgefield Motor Inn. Huge parking lot, nice rooms plus lot of antique car shows happen in and around this country side. There are several small towns around here, Redding, Wilton, Georgetown, Weston, Westport, New Canaan, Danbury, Norwalk and Westchester is right around the corner.

I have the restaurant "Thali" in the hotel, the hotel is not operated by me but could negotiate a special package deal. The restaurant is open for Lunch an upscale, contemporary and art deco with new Indian food and bar.

If you need more info, please PM me. Thanks.

Thanks to both of you...please keep your ideas coming; I'll be in touch if he's interested.

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 5 months later...

Take a look into the Long Ridge Tavern in Stamford, CT or La Cremalliere which is not in Stamford. I'm not exactly sure which town it is in because it is so close to the border. It might be in Greenwich or it might be in Armonk. It is located almost directly on the border between NY and CT in the northern Greenwich area.

-James Kessler

La Cremaillere is in Banksville, NY, just over the state line from Greenwich. Banksville is a tiny place on the way from Greenwich to Bedford. The restaurant does have a sizable parking lot. If the original idea was the Inn at Pound Ridge, this would be an excellent alternative, probably a bit pricier than Pound Ridge though.