• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HOW much for a Cheesesteak Sandwich?

lamb

Interestingly, some of my fellow guests at a wine tasting I attended this evening were telling me about attending the "soft opening" of Barclay Prime last night. I'm told the decor is scary (Day-Glo green and black seating) and that the prices are truly and shamelessly outrageous. Apparently it isn't just the $100 Cheesesteak. They're charging $16 for a Cosmopolitan, $11/glass for cheap South American wine that costs $8/bottle and $26 for a Sidecar. :blink: I think the novelty will wear off quickly in the shadow of that sort of exhorbitant and insulting markup.

Methinks the Starr empire is reaching Critical Mass.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The only time I was ever in Philadelphia, my second ex-wife took me to a place just off the Penn campus called Smokey Joe's. Good cheese steak, good beer, good people. She even had a diploma from the place.

From Dixon, Wyoming

One more.  Levis' invented Surf and Turf, Philly style - a hot dog with a fish cake smashed on top - though Levis' simply called it a combo.

Being now from the South, I am allowed to say that reading this combination of ingredients made me 'throw' a conniption.

Whew.

That sounds like something a truly tired mother from the 1960's who didn't enjoy cooking at all with six complaining hungry kids around her feet would make.

(And they probably would love it, too! :biggrin: )

I guess it could be all made better by just being at a soda fountain place, though...

:blink: Yikes.

I first read this as saying "exorbitant and insulting MAKEUP".

In agreement, either way! :wacko:

:laugh:

I've no doubt there'll be some barflies at Barclay Prime that fit that description too.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I wasn't aware of Chodorow's backing.

Are you sure about that?

I do remember hearing that Chodorow optioned the concept to open a restaurant like it called Red Square in Miami.

Don't know if that happened or not.

Sorry. My eyes were moving faster than my brain: From a Philly Mag piece several years ago:

Indeed, Starr sees himself as an A&R man-only instead of unearthing recording talent, he's discovering themes to enhance dining. Sometimes he's less of a talent scout than an importer, like a band that brilliantly covers somebody else's song and makes it their own. Buddakan, for example, came after the success of Asia de Cuba in New York, a similarly themed restaurant owned by Philadelphia native Jeffrey Chodorow, who also owns China Grill in South Beach. (Chodorow later bought the one restaurant concept Starr couldn't make work in Philadelphia-his Russian-themed Cafe Republic at dicey 22nd and South-and transplanted it to Miami in the form of the thriving Red Square.) Other times, the notions are all Starr, as with two he considered but discarded for the space that is now Tangerine: the Cuban eatery, complete with bodegas and shanties, that's going into Le Colonial; and a more kitschy place featuring trailer-park ambience and playing off white-trash culture, serving down-home delicacies such as chicken-fried steak, that remains on his drawing board.

Being now from the South, I am allowed to say that reading this combination of ingredients made me 'throw' a conniption.

Whew.

That sounds like something a truly tired mother from the 1960's who didn't enjoy cooking at all with six complaining hungry kids around her feet would make.

(And they probably would love it, too! :biggrin: )

I guess it could be all made better by just being at a soda fountain place, though...

carrot top, when you come to town head over to johnny's hots on delaware avenue, where you can still get a combo. you'd be surprised how good it is. damn, i'm craving one now.

Apparently it isn't just the $100 Cheesesteak.  They're charging $16 for a Cosmopolitan, $11/glass for cheap South American wine that costs $8/bottle and $26 for a Sidecar.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. For twenty-six bucks, they'd better throw in the motorcycle, too!

Methinks the Starr empire is reaching Critical Mass.

I think that, as with all empires, it's reached its point of decadence and decay. What with Starr lounging around on pillows being fed $20 grapes by nubile slave girls, et cetera...

Here's the follow-up folks, by our own Michael Klein:

Phila. Redo on a Roll

Apparently Chef Todd Miller will be making one for David Letterman on his show tonight.

Didn't Dave already have bypass surgery??? :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Nice to see all the hype, but I ate at the Swann Lounge (Four Seasons Philly) a year ago and topping their menu was a $40 cheese steak with Fois. I didn't eat it cause I heard their pizzas were what to get, and the desert tray, but when I went back to NYC I met a yoga instructor who said that the Four Seasons had this item, so I guess that means there was a bzzzzz

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton

The one I'd pay to see is the last "concept" in cinghiale's quote. "Trailer park ambiance playing off white trash culture"? So, what could we expect:

Sitting on old stolen beer kegs?

$48. for a PBR?

Jerry Springer on a Bigscreen?

Dirty laundry draped all over the place?

Tables built around car 'skeletons'?

TV dinners for $100.?

The one I'd pay to see is the last "concept" in cinghiale's quote. "Trailer park ambiance playing off white trash culture"? So, what could we expect:

Sitting on old stolen beer kegs?

$48. for a PBR?

Jerry Springer on a Bigscreen?

Dirty laundry draped all over the place?

Tables built around car 'skeletons'?

TV dinners for $100.?

While he didn't end up doing that one as kitschy white trash, I imagine that is what morphed into Jones.

Jones is a basically a place that serves simple, "down home" kitschy food in a setting reminiscent of the Brady Bunch living room.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The only time I was ever in Philadelphia,  my second ex-wife took me to a place just off the Penn campus called Smokey Joe's.  Good cheese steak, good beer, good people.  She even had a diploma from the place.

Smokey Joe's serves food?

:wink:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3