• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It puzzles me that England, as a nation of big tea drinkers, does not take the quality of its tea more seriously. Bog standard tea bags are common place - fresh tea made using leaves is not guaranteed even in notionally fine London or rural restaurants. There are the big name suppliers of bland Anglo-Indian teas, however, there seems nothing that vaguely approaches Maison des Trois Thes in the 5th arrondissement in Paris (near the Rue Mouffetard market) by way of dedication, expertise or variety.

The tea selection available at the new Yauatcha in London is a refreshing start. Is there much competition in London (or elsewhere in the UK) for a place to buy top end oolongs and green teas from Taiwan and China? I've looked but not found.

yauatcha and hakkasan are probably the only places that take their tea really seriously, don't think there is as big enough customer base for any really competition in tea selling (yet).

There is the tea shop in covent garden and nearly all the japanese and chinese supermarket carry a selection of green and oolong tea, quality is variable. But failing that I would hope that selfridges and harrods food hall would have a selection of high end teas.

But to be honest i get all my tea when i go on holiday to the far east.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

It puzzles me that England, as a nation of big tea drinkers, does not take the quality of its tea more seriously.  Bog standard tea bags are common place - fresh tea made using leaves is not guaranteed even in notionally fine London or rural restaurants.  There are the big name suppliers of bland Anglo-Indian teas, however, there seems nothing that vaguely approaches Maison des Trois Thes in the 5th arrondissement in Paris (near the Rue Mouffetard market) by way of dedication, expertise or variety.

The tea selection available at the new Yauatcha in London is a refreshing start. Is there much competition in London (or elsewhere in the UK) for a place to buy top end oolongs and green teas from Taiwan and China?  I've looked but not found.

Andrew.... I discovered a site a few years ago that I have been ordering very high quality tea from.... Go to: truetea.com.

They have a fabulous selection. I am sure that you will find what you are looking for.

Liz

I'm pretty sure that Williamson & Magor sell an Oolong - their teas are wonderful (my favourite is their Earl Grey which is 100 times better than Twinings). They don't sell from a web site - ring 01582 813810. Selfridges also sell their teas (as do Waitrose, but only in caddies which is expensive).

Harrods sell Oolong loose - and their Russian Caravan tea is good too.

Edited by PoppySeedBagel (log)

NOt enough mentions of Betty's on this forum--my local bakery, lovely...

Lincoln has a wonderful tea shop--imperial teas of lincoln. NO website I think, but their number is 01522560008.

I bought a 'rare teas box' from there last summer which I'm still working my way through--ring of jade; taiping houkui; huiming temple tea and a few others---gorgeous

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Useful suggestions all. Thanks, I'll investigate and report.

When passing by Yauatcha in Berwick St W1 on Wednesday, I called in and the assistant told me that they may start selling tea to take home from late October - her answer was a little vague but she offered to contact me when they do. They're not quite yet living up to their claim of over 100 teas and being a serious purveyor...

NOt enough mentions of Betty's on this forum--my local bakery, lovely...

Which Bettys is your local ,Bertie?......Try out the new branch in Northallerton,far superior to anything in the south of England.......mind you they dont serve snail porridge though :smile:

Fortnum & Mason have a nice tea selection, but prices are a bit high.

They currently have two Oolong teas in stock: a Jade Oolong and a Formosa Oolong, both I assume from Taiwan. There's a good dozen green China teas at the moment. Particularly of note a second picking Darjeeling and an interesting single garden leaf. Unusually they currently have two white teas in stock: a white Darjeeling and another one which now slips my memory. The white tea tends to go quickly, being bought by a particular sort of Fortnum Lady for antioxidant skin treatment properties. Applied, rather than drunk. :biggrin:

There is a small range of Japanese teas, but for those you really want to visit East Tea at borough market. I hope I'm not giving away secrets if I tell you that l'Artisan du Chocolat use East Tea for their House Tea chocolate. Given we've just had London Chocolate week, I'm sure I don't have to go on about how good their taste is.

Back at F&M: there's a very chatty gent with a heavy European accent who's usually manning the counter and I've always found him very helpful. If you're unlucky there will be one of those indolent Eton-style brats lounging about. Like Butlins, avoid the red coats.

As I went to add these comments, the local news just popped up with a feature about Yauatcha, where the most expensive pot of tea will cost you £78. Aside from making F&M sound much cheaper, they also made reference to the Tea Museum near London bridge. A little searching shows their shop looks rather promising.