• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beau Derek To Light Up Firefly

DonRocks

In early November, our own Derek will become front of the house at Firefly.

This is all for the good, and Frank Ruta has been involved each step of the way. The deep reverence shown by all parties towards Frank has been the most moving thing about this story: had Frank not given his blessing from day one, it would not have happened. There can be no greater respect than this.

Look for Evan to step up and become alpha male at Palena, and for Kelli and Carolyn to soar with not-so-little wings.

Now Derek, was that really worth all the coyness you displayed Saturday night?

I am optimistic that this is a great thing all around. Though it does mean I will have to hang out at Firefly more! :wub:

The big question, though, is with those two under one roof, will there be any wine left over for the rest of us?

I hadn't thought of that. John, call the reps up... more vino!

“Let us candidly admit that there are shameful blemishes on the American past, of which the worst by far is rum. Nevertheless, we have improved man's lot and enriched his civilization with rye, bourbon and the Martini cocktail. In all history has any other nation done so much?”

Bernard De Voto (1897-1955) American writer and critic.

I don't mean to ask a stoopid question:  but what does "front of the house" mean?

Short answer -- everything between the front door and the kitchen door.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Congratulations, Derek! Looking forward to seeing you at Firefly...

And kudos to Evan and the rest of the team at Palena!

Hmmm. John Wabeck's lamb steak one night, Frank Ruta's gnocchi the next night. What's not to like? :rolleyes:

Congratulations all around.  It sounds like the food community is taking care of its own.

Now, does this mean that Derek will be joining us online and that John W. will  be here more????

Derek has already joined us here on line (he said cryptically)

DEREK IS SO DREAMY!!

Mark

is he taking the chicken too?

and what about the Copenhagen? Do you think there could be joint custody on that one?

It's time to get Evan on here :wink:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Derek - i'm sad to see you go... i'll miss you, your ever-hilarious witticisms, and your hordes of groupies standing six-deep at the bar :raz:

And thanks, as always, to Kelli - a wonderful GM who balances all the spinning plates behind the scenes, while making it appear effortless.

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

I guess Palena will lack the one-two punch of Derek and Evan's dreaminess. Which is good. Dreaminess should be spread around evenly. Every restaurant should have a little dreamy guy behind the bar.

Babka: No chicken. Oysters.

Derek - i'm sad to see you go... i'll miss you, your ever-hilarious witticisms, and your hordes of groupies standing six-deep at the bar :raz:

And thanks, as always, to Kelli - a wonderful GM who balances all the spinning plates behind the scenes, while making it appear effortless.

LIttle wing is right. Kelli does not get enough credit around here for handling all those boys so well! She is so good that most of us don't even notice.

Not to mention she puts up with us and isn't even on eG.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 3 weeks later...