• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creamy Sauce For Pasta?

Sam Salmon

Hello everyone-once again I'm back asking for ideas to help me consume a surfeit of Salmon.

The Fishcakes as suggested earlier have worked very well-that's what I'm having tonight.

However with all the cooked Coho in the fridge I'm having friends over tommorow and I thought I could use up the rest by adding it to a creamy sauce over pasta.

Times and waistlines being what they are I need a simple recipe that's not too heavy on cream or cheese-obviously I need some though ;)

TIA

Also-we caught one Spring Salmon over 30# today and another Coho about 15#.

Tonight I'm processing Salmon Caviar about 5 pounds of that from just 2 fish.

I had some left over smoked salmon once. I get the PNW style from Vis Seafoods in Bellingham. I used it in a recipe sort of like this one. I added some capers. I didn't have any asparagus that time around but the combination was delicious without it. There are a bunch of other recipes on that site that are similar so you can kind of shop around and see what variation on lemon cream you might like. I did the search on "lemon cream pasta".

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Lucky you with all that Salmon. I had some wild Coho myself tonight. Yum.

I make a "creamy" parmesan orzo. I think I got the idea for the recipe from Cooking Light magazine initially. It's very tasty, subtle enough in flavor not to overwhelm your salmon, and not heavy at all.

Melt about 1 T of butter in a saucepan, med. heat, add 1 cup orzo and stir constantly for a minute or three till pasta is well coated. Stir in 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer till orzo is done (maybe 10-15 minutes). Stir in 1/4 c or more of grated parmesan, some chopped basil, a few T of toasted pine nuts and some salt and pepper to taste.

In general, this has the texture of a risotto. I think it would be good with flaked salmon.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Personally I love to do seared salmon over cucumber salad

Sear the Salmon

Cucumber Salad

Slice Cucumbers thin

Dressing

1 T Mayo full or light

1/2 cup Rice Vinegar

1 t toasted sesame

sweeten to taste

Serve the Salmon on the Cucumbers topped with Caviar and drizzled with Chili Oil

or for a more creamy style dish a little sweet

Rub Salmon with Orange Marmalade Grill or Broil etc.

1 Can of Condensed Skin Milk

Orange Zest

1/4 cup Orange Juice

1 t Corn Starch

Mix 1/2 cup liquid with corn starch (make a slurry)

Mix all the wet ingredients to low boil and then slow to a simmer until proper thickness

Serves nicely with wild rice or couscous

Never trust a skinny chef

Ooops somehow did not see creamy sauce ...

Okay one more then. It's good but I think it a little bit of a waste of really high quality Salmon.

2 3 large Cloves Fresh Minced Garlic

pinch of Salt

1/3 Cup Parmesan

Evoo

Coat the Fish and either Sauté or Broil

1 Large Can Evaporated Milk or Non Fat Half and Half

10 Garlic Cloves

Cook on Low heat for about 30 minutes until the Garlic is soft

Add 1/4 Cup Parsley

1 T Oregano

Blend

Serve over Pasta

Edited by irodguy (log)

Never trust a skinny chef

I'd half some zucchini lengthwise and roast them, scrape the soft innards and puree with olive oil, parmesean and a touch of garlic, salt, pepper and maybe some lemon juice. Without the salmon I'd add a mushed-up anchovy. Recombine with pasta, some of the zuch skins chopped up and the salmon.

Vegetable purees are great for low-fat cooking and can turn out very creamy. Pureed cauliflower soup is a great example.

Chip Wilmot

Lack of wit can be a virtue