• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My new baby has arrived and is in her new home

phaelon56

Here's where she's going to be living. This is a view of her room when you first walk in and look to the right. We're going to have some beautiful Stickley furniture to fill this space up. The Stickley folks are even going to take pictures of her room for their catalogue. It's nice to have friendly neighbors.

gallery_2480_188_1097006067.jpg

Here's where she'll live, play and make people happy - right on top of that granite counter. We hope lots and lots of people line up here to see her every day and leave gifts.

gallery_2480_188_1097006090.jpg

She's resting right now - it was a long trip from Italy and she has to get acclimated. Next week we'll wake her up and get to know each other better. Isn't she a beauty?

gallery_2480_188_1097006044.jpg

Any chance you can make those pictures any bigger??

(yes... edited to correct my screw-up in imageGullet usage!)

Edited by phaelon56 (log)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Oh Phaelon:

Congrats! How wonderful...a baby is better than anything. Period. I'm very jealous.

And I fondly remember another counter, the Men's Bar at the Berghoff in Chicago. We's go in for a lunchtime corned beef hash sandwich and deposit my baby on the bar. (Probably land in jail now---all that smoke and seriously grodey old men poking my infant daughter and kissing her. She is alive and well, probably because the bartenders fed her corned beef hash and deviled eggs.)

Babies are seroiusly portable.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

She sho' is purdy. Have fun!

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Men's Bar at the Berghoff in Chicago.

Is that the old German place with the terrific home made root beer?

About the cafe... it's not mine but I am working for the owners on a part time basis. They have two locations presently and this will be their third. The furniture's not in yet but we are planning a soft opening in mid-October with grand opening party on Sunday October 17th and official opening the following day.

I'll be working the front line Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 9 AM before rushing off to work until 6:30 PM at my day job. Then I'll spend three or four evenings each week doing the coffee roasting. Oh... did I mention that I'm also the official machine maintenance and repair guy? It's been a real trial by fire experience getting thrown into the commercial end of the business this rapidly but I"m loving it and learning plenty.

I do owe you all some sort of diary with photos to fill you in on this evolution. It's a sort of amateur becomes professional in spite of himself scenario and may have interest for a few of you (if not... at least there will be nice pictures to look at).

I'll get that stuff up soon - I promise.

In the meantime.... the new place (pictured above) is in a fantastic location in Syracuse's most upscale suburb. Fayetteville is actually a very old village that dates back to Revolutionary War days (older than the city of Syracuse) and has a small "downtown" (very small), some modest residential neighborhoods and then some lovely, wooded areas with larger newer homes. We'll have an educated clientele with plenty of discretionary income and we'll also have the space to start introducing things like seminars, cuppings or other educationally related initiatives.

I'll actually have a dedicate roasting room with a window that lets customers see in, a full size pastry kitchen is being added for future use and we'll have seating for about 40 people. I don't know what the building was originally built for but there's an old walk-in freezer in the back (which we intend to use) and gorgeous green terrazzo floors that have cleaned up nicely.

Beautiful baby and gorgeous space! Keep the updates coming....

Blush. Oh the misery of having a dial-up connection and the shame of not waiting for all the pix to load! :wub:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

We'll have an educated clientele with plenty of discretionary income and we'll also have the space to start introducing things like seminars, cuppings or other educationally related initiatives.

Impressive. Seems like a perfect place for you.

In the meantime....  the new place (pictured above) is in a fantastic location in Syracuse's most upscale suburb. Fayetteville is actually a very old village that dates back to Revolutionary War days  (older than the city of Syracuse) and has a small "downtown" (very small), some modest residential neighborhoods and then some lovely, wooded areas with larger newer homes.  We'll have an educated clientele with plenty of discretionary income and we'll also have the space to start introducing things like seminars, cuppings or other educationally related initiatives.

Congratulations, Owen! I'm looking forward to hearing (and seeing) all about it.

I spent some of the best years of my youth in and around Fayetteville and Manlius. I'm glad to hear it hasn't gone downhill since we left :wink:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I'm glad to hear it hasn't gone downhill since we left   :wink:

It took them years to recover after your departure but they have finally struggled back to some semblance of normal life :laugh:

To date the Syracuse area in general has had poor enough demographics that Starbucks has only opened two locations - one up on "the Hill" adjacent to the university/hospital complex and one in the northern suburbs where there's a glut of chain restaurants. They are finally opening a third location and this one will be in Fayetteville, about a block from our new cafe. Not only do we have a much better location from a morning traffic and overall visibility standpoint.... we look forward to having them as neighbors because sooner than later it will actually help to increase our business. Yay Starbucks! (there have been some studies that show the average independent coffee house seeing a 25% increase in business when a Starbucks moves into the neighborhood).

It took them years to recover after your departure but they have finally struggled back to some semblance of normal life  :laugh:

To date the Syracuse area in general has had poor enough demographics that Starbucks has only opened two locations - one up on "the Hill" adjacent to the university/hospital complex and one in the northern suburbs where there's a glut of chain restaurants.  They are finally opening a third location and this one will be in Fayetteville, about a block from our new cafe. Not only do we have a much better location from a morning traffic and overall visibility standpoint....  we look forward to having them as neighbors because sooner than later it will actually help to increase our business. Yay Starbucks!  (there have been some studies that show the average independent coffee house seeing a 25% increase in business when a Starbucks moves into the neighborhood).

Syracuse certainly is improving - each time we visit it seems there are more restaurants and more coffee shops opening up. If only the King David by the Hospital was open last time I tried to eat there.

Syracuse certainly is improving - each time we visit it seems there are more restaurants and more coffee shops opening up.

If Melkor and MsMelkor came visiting more often it would improve our demographics even more :laugh:

The owner of Alto Cinco, a Mexican influenced bistro that is one of my top chpices in Syracuse, is opening a Morrocan-African influenced restaurant in Fayetteville, not far from our new cafe location. I'm really looking forward to it as she does a great job with food and service. Alto Cinco really has a big city feel to it yet is still intimate. I've taken some visiting eGulleteers there for meals and also recommended it to visitors, always receiving great feedback after their visits.

I feel like I can smell that coffee roasting now! Good luck, Owen.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Isn't she a beauty?

%7Boption%7D

Wow.

Wotta hot setup.

Sheesh. I'm going to pull a shot now!

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Is that the old German place with the terrific home made root beer?

About the cafe...  it's not mine but I am working for the owners on a part time basis. They have two locations presently and this will be their third. The furniture's not in yet but we are planning a soft opening in mid-October with grand opening party on Sunday October 17th and official opening the following day.

I'll be working the front line Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 9 AM before rushing off to work until 6:30 PM at my day job. Then I'll spend three or four evenings each week doing the coffee roasting. Oh...  did I mention that I'm also the official machine maintenance and repair guy?  It's been a real trial by fire experience getting thrown into the commercial end of the business this rapidly but I"m loving it and learning plenty.

I do owe you all some sort of diary with photos to fill you in on this evolution.  It's a sort of amateur becomes professional in spite of himself scenario and may have interest for a few of you (if not...  at least there will be nice pictures to look at).

I'll get that stuff up soon - I promise.

In the meantime....  the new place (pictured above) is in a fantastic location in Syracuse's most upscale suburb. Fayetteville is actually a very old village that dates back to Revolutionary War days  (older than the city of Syracuse) and has a small "downtown" (very small), some modest residential neighborhoods and then some lovely, wooded areas with larger newer homes.  We'll have an educated clientele with plenty of discretionary income and we'll also have the space to start introducing things like seminars, cuppings or other educationally related initiatives.

I'll actually have a dedicate roasting room with a window that lets customers see in, a full size pastry kitchen is being added for future use and we'll have seating for about 40 people. I don't know what the building was originally built for but there's an old walk-in freezer in the back (which we intend to use) and gorgeous green terrazzo floors that have cleaned up nicely.

Outstanding - When can I order a couple pounds of Phaelon56 Roast?

I suppose I really owe people a thread explaining how I came to be involved in this whole espresso cafe operation but that will have to follow as time permits.

Those of you familiar with the Arts & Crafts Movement of the early 20th Century may be aware that Gustav and Leopold Stickley had their workshop in Syracuse and other practitioners of the movement, such as the Roycrofters Guild, were close by. The Stickley & Audi company continues the quality manufacturing tradition today with a full line of traditional Mission style furniture made from quarter sawn white oak but they also offer a more contemporary line of furnishings.

Unknown to most... they also have a line of Mission Oak tables and chairs targeted at the commercial restaurant and cafe market. The owner of the cafe pictured in this thread decided to opt for Mission Oak furniture in honor of her deceased mother, whose life was cut short by illness. An interesting coincidence is that her mother's name was Dinny, the same name by which my grandfather was known for all of his life (she was Jewish and he was Irish - go figure :laugh:

The wax/lacquer finish on these pieces is known as Chicago 32. We're hoping it stands up well to heavy use and that it's not terribly labor intensive to maintain. Sorry I can't recall the specific name/quarry of the Italian marble used on the counters but it's quite a lovely shade of reddish-brown with irregular and marvelous variegations.

The original floors in the building are green terrazzo. Budget issues prevented us from grinding them down to achieve a full restoration but they cleaned up and polished nicely (regrettably... the real color of the floors is not visible in the pics but it is quite striking with the furniture and walls. It also picks up nicely on the color of the espresso machine and grinder (or vice versa).

We're not open yet but should be within a week or so....

gallery_2480_188_1098108980.jpg

gallery_2480_188_1098109031.jpg

gallery_2480_188_1098109050.jpg

gallery_2480_188_1098109077.jpg

gallery_2480_188_1098109101.jpg

gallery_2480_188_1098109132.jpg

Will you be putting anything up on the walls? They look kind of barren. A chalkboard with daily specials? Some funky coffee related artwork?

Also, I didn't see any speakers. Will there be some sort of music playing the background as your customers lounge around?

edited to add I love the furniture and the marble counter!

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Artwork will be added as we progress and there will initally be temporary signage rather than a blackboard for pricing (we have a blackboard at our main location for pricing). The font and the overall aesthetic of the temporary signage is actually so striking that there is now discussion of using that as the permanent signage and also changing the outdoor building signage (which has not been created yet) to match. The font, one which I have not seen previously, is Ats & Crafts influenced and really cool. really.

Music - stereo system being installed today - probably one with a 50 disc CD changer like the other place. We typically leave the radio on to NPR until about 9 or 10 AM and the barista's get to pick music for the rest of the day. The owner prefers "non-intrusive" music of the singer/songwriter mellow rock and world music genre. The barista's will play stuff that's a bit more edgy but try to change discs quick if the owner is spotted walking in the door :laugh:

Looks like I may have to get some of those funkly little half glasses for reading or a pair of transitional bi-focals. I di my first morning shift today and was shocked to discover that I had issues reading the fine print without taking my glasses (I usually just leave them off all day at work when I read or use the computer).

I am not... repeat... not... getting old. It's just that my vision is not keeping up with the rapid changes in my life :wink:

I just don't know how to describe your cafe – chic is the word? I really like the wooden furniture.

One question: Is smoking permitted in your cafe?

I would also like to ask you to visit the kissaten (coffeehouse) thread in the Japan Forum when you have time.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=52345