• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hormone & Antibiotic Free Turkey for Thanksgiving?

I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year and I would really like to get my hands on a locally bred hormone and antibiotic free turkey for the meal.

I live in Durham so I'd prefer to pick it up myself from a farm (1st choice) or store (2nd choice) in Durham, Wake or Orange counties.

Anyone have any ideas?

I looked on the web but NC based turkey producers seemed to be in the West of the state.

Foodie Penguin

I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year and I would really like to get my hands on a locally bred hormone and antibiotic free turkey for the meal.

I live in Durham so I'd prefer to pick it up myself from a farm (1st choice) or store (2nd choice) in Durham, Wake or Orange counties.

Anyone have any ideas?

I looked on the web but NC based turkey producers seemed to be in the West of the state.

Foodie Penguin

Slow Food heritage turkeys are being raised by

Alex & Betsy Hill

Peregrine Farm

Graham, NC

abhitt@mindspring. com :smile:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Slow Food heritage turkeys are being raised by

Alex & Betsy Hill

Peregrine Farm

Graham, NC

abhitt@mindspring. com :smile:

It's actually Alex and Betsy Hitt. They are at the Carrboro Farmer's Market on Saturdays.

You can also order turkeys from Nu Horizons Farm in Pittsboro. They are at the Saturday market as well.

Additionally, Weaver Street Market in Carrboro will be taking orders for locally produced, A & H-free turkeys, starting this week. You can call 919-929-0010 and ask for the meat department.

Another excellent source is Matzah Rising Farms, and not just because they are named after the other greatest Jewish bread. Go to: http://www.snowcamp.org/matzah/

They are in Snow Camp, NC

Their website says:

We raise turkey, goats, ducks, and geese, blueberries, and a variety of vegetables.  Our farming methods utilize the natural productivity of our soils and climate, improving the health of our land, minimizing the need for outside inputs, and supporting the efforts of local farm-related businesses. Part of the farm is enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program, planted to a permanent mix of native grasses, grains, and legumes to enhance wildlife habitat and water quality in the Jordan Lake watershed.

Next Sunday is their Fall Open House. You can go and check out their farm and order your turkey in person! I have been to the farm before. It's very cool.

peace,

challah-baker

Edited by challah-baker (log)

This just in.....

Hot News From Matzah Rising Farm:

1. Fresh Turkeys! We will now be able to have the turkeys quick chilled,

which will allow them to remain fresh, not frozen, until Thanksgiving.

They will be soft to the touch, with no need to defrost, and the great

taste of a fresh free-range bird. Turkeys of all types and sizes are still

available. Send in your order today to assure availability.

2. Remember about our annual open house next Sunday, Oct. 17th from 12-5.

Gobble with the toms, sample pies beneath the falling leaves, get your hook

shot ready for the new season, meander down to the creek, and marvel at the

allure of Sammy, our new goat buck.

Check out the website later this week for new pictures, directions to the

open house, and the updated fresh bird news you heard here first!

http://www.snowcamp.org/matzah

Gerry Cohn/Jessica LaMontagne

Matzah Rising Farm

1105 W. Greensboro-Chapel Hill Rd.

Snow Camp, NC 27349

336-376-8765

corncrib@netpath.net

http://www.snowcamp.org/matzah