• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The World's Best Coconut Cake

Stone

Wow! Huge success! The client chose this for her wedding cake. I filled it with a coconut cream cheese mousse, and iced with coconut cream cheese IMBC.

How did you make your coconut cream cheese mousse??? Any changes to the cake recipe?

• 2 months later...

thanks, kim, for posting this recipe! made it this weekend and it was awesome, rich and moist just like you said ( i added 1 tea. of coconut extract like you suggested). :biggrin: i made a pineapple filling to go with it but think i'll try a different filling next time since i wasn't crazy about it, maybe i'll do a coconut cream cheese filling, like cakesuite.

Edited by Dailey (log)

I am so glad that everyone has had good luck with this cake. It was so funny at Easter when I served this cake everyone wanted the recipe. When they saw that it was a 'from scratch', they kinda backed off. They said it looked like a lot of work. I think, especially considering the results you achieve that it is a fairly uncomplicated cake!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kim for sharing this recipe. I made it today for my Grandfather's birthday. It was very good.

I did make it last night and it did not rise. Yep, I cannot substitute the buttermilk for soured milk.

It has an interesting crumb. It's has a very tight wet crumb. Very good and great coconut flavor! I took your advise on the coconut extract.

For the filling, I used coconut cream instant pudding, whipping cream and coconut milk (leftover from another experiment gone bad) plus shredded coconut. My family loved the "coconut custard". :laugh: The icing was a bit sweet for me; I am not an icing person. I think a IMBC would be great on this cake or maybe just a whipped topping.

I will definetely make this one again. THANK YOU SO MUCH! :wub:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I made a coconut layer cake yesterday and the layers were so sticky! I greased and floured the pan; it still stuck. I did manage to get it off (luckily used springform) but the cake has a sticky feel. I think the recipe has too much sugar. Could that be it?

ingredients:

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 3/4 cups sugar

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut (such as Coco Lépez)*

4 large eggs, separated

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup buttermilk

thanks for any help!

Actually I think the problem is too much liquid.....

you're putting 1 cup of Coco Lopez in AND buttermilk?

I would think it would be one or the other.

It sounds like your cake recipe was written to be made just with the buttermilk and perhaps

someone forgot to write that to make coconut cake, you SUB the Coco Lopez for the buttermilk, instead of ADDING it in addition to the buttermilk.

Actually I think the problem is too much liquid.....

you're putting 1 cup of Coco Lopez in AND buttermilk?

I would think it would be one or the other.

It sounds like your cake recipe was written to be made just with the buttermilk and perhaps

someone forgot to write that to make coconut cake, you SUB the Coco Lopez for the buttermilk, instead of ADDING it in addition to the buttermilk.

There's a cake very similar to this one from Bon Appetit - also uses 1 cup dairy (3/4 cup buttermilk and 1/4 cup sour cream), plus 1 cup Coco Lopez. Same amount of flour and butter, about a Tbsp less sugar, and uses 1 tsp baking powder only - not the additional 1/2 tsp baking soda as in gia's recipe.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/106982

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Well, if too much liquid isn't the problem then, perhaps before one goes and blames the recipe for being faulty, you might want to give the recipe another go, just to make sure you didn't scale something out incorrectly. I really don't believe the recipe has too much sugar to be honest.

Besides the cake feeling sticky, how was the texture of it? Did it seem ok, or was it unacceptable?

appreciate the feedback. I will be cutting it tomorrow! I'll then know more. I was thinking the cream of coconut was too much since the texture was somewhat "gooey." It does sound like a lot of liquid, but the batter wasn't thin; seemed ok. thanks again.

You are correct, way to much sugar. I am sure with the amount called for in your recipe, it is probably turning into a sticky syrup.

I created my own cake using 1 cup cream of coconut. To do that, I had to break down the cream of coconut which is mostly sugar and lessen the sugar in my recipe. I don't have my notes with me on the breakdown, but something like 1/4 cup or maybe less was actual liquid, the rest sugar in cream of coconut.

Try the Cook's Illustrated Coconut Layer Cake recipe, very tasty and it has very good proportions, and not sticky.

:blink:

Edited by RodneyCk (log)