• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Power Food of Choice

Carrot Top

Pho.

Andrea, in ABQ

http://tenacity.net

Heck yeah. Did you know that pho, while not specifically prohibited in name, was all but impossible to dish out legally in Vietnam until a few short years ago? Something about conspicuous consumption...

At any rate, everything's O.K. now.

Do you take yours with just the simple stuff, or do you go for the lovely crunchy things that come from the more obscure portions of the cow?

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

Pho is a good bet, but gazpacho would be another pick for me. Refreshing, cleansing gazpacho with lots of cucumber and tomato, plus some shrimp for protein.

It's too bad it's getting cooler now, and it's almost too late to make it. Maybe just one more batch before late fall sets in.

Ever since I saw Anna capitalize LARB in another thread, I think of LARB as a sexy <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=movie&v=56">movie</a> star sort of guy, not a <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=food&v=56">food</a>.

Does that help you any, in making your decision?

Sorry, but what is Larb??????!!!!! I keep seeing it here, and have no idea!

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

Since you all are bringing enough other stuff,

for my "power food" I think I'll just bring LARB along...

that tall, tan, blonde, muscular, square-jawed Scandinavian guy...

Ever since I saw Anna capitalize LARB in another thread, I think of LARB as a sexy movie star sort of guy, not a food.

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

• 2 years later...

2 live rabbits and 2 live pigs(1 male and 1 female of each species)let the rabbits free and let the pigs cultivate the land, but hey if it`s going to be a few animals hows about a billy and a nanny to create the open areas and provide the dairy produce......some asparagus shoots, parsley, corriander....

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

fig chips

Those are a fig ment of the imagination, I'm afraid. Figs can have shoulders (like humans) that can have chips upon them. Sometimes the chips get knocked off, or fall off. The figs can then grow larger, more delicious, better in all ways.

A chip is what one makes it. And a chip can be well used for excellent purposes, too. But everyone knows that.

I've often had it said to me, "Betcha can't eat just one." :smile:

I'm not sure these would be my choices on a deserted island but as far as healthy

spinach, sardines and blueberries are high on the list for super foods high in vitamins, minerals, omega 3, and antioxidants. Help keep those eyes sharp to look for that rescue ship.

spinach, sardines and blueberries are high on the list for super foods high in vitamins, minerals, omega 3, and antioxidants.  Help keep those eyes sharp to look for that rescue ship.

Funny you should say that. When I first posted the topic I was thinking specifically of these sorts of "power foods".

I was really surprised the posts started pouring in with almost everything *but*. :laugh:

Some very creative people around here. :biggrin:

Power, apparently, comes from different sources for different people. :wink:

:smile:

(Why are Pokemon coming to my mind? :blink: )

I'm going to be boring and practical and say 'bananas' =) Not the regular Del Monte or Chiquita ones we see at supermarkets though, but the ones we call 'Indian bananas' (kek leng jio in the Chinese Hokkien dialect) in Asia. These small bananas have a pleasantly firm and almost rubbery bite when just ripe, and a lovely sweet-tart flavor.

itadakimas...eat a duck i must!

Hmmmmmmm ... I could go several different ways with this concept.

If I wanted to be purely pragmatic, and depending on how long I would be marooned, I might bring a whole case of MREs. Reasonable sustenance, relatively easy to doctor up, and bits of 'em (cookies, baby bottles of Tabasco, etc.) might be useful for bartering with the natives. For that matter, since way at the beginning of this topic it was specified that the natives had food in cans, I might also, or simply, make sure I brought a can opener.

If I wanted to be as creative in my interpretation as others have been here, well ... I'd probably bring along a whole bunch o' pork products. Mmmmm pork belly. Or better yet, I'd do what somebody else suggested, and bring a breeding pair o' piggies. Dissertation on Roast Pig, anyone? :biggrin: