• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Power Food of Choice

Carrot Top

Imagine you have been shipwrecked... in a strange land where all the food came in frozen clumps and metal tubes called 'cans'.

Before you left home, however, you were prescient and wise enough to have brought along one food. One food that you believed would bestow ongoing good health wherever you went.

What would that food be?

Spam... you can can sculpt it into what ever your imagination allows!

On the lighter side, if it weren't Spam and I were seriously stranded with non perishable items and they were all the same thing, it would be freez dried rice and chicken:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDis...vcat=REI_SEARCH

Then I could add local vegetation and other items to add variety.

I'd be set up for life of solitary gastronomical delight!

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

I take it we don't have refridgeration (if we did I would pick Marie Calendar's Chicken Pot Pie), so I'll choose cans of a hearty beef stew with lots of vegetables.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Garlic.

Nothing's more essential.

Of course, what do I do when it runs out or dries out & I'm still shipwrecked in this wretched place....

Hopefully I've brought enough to plant.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Cheesecake .... world's most perfect food .. and no one on the island will watch my fat cells expand ...

We would be there, Melissa. And quite likely buying it from you too, and attending your cooking classes on how to make it.

What top five cheesecake flavors would you tempt us with?

I am happy to know the rest of you, for you have made some nice choices.

When I figure out what I would bring, hopefully we can do a pot-luck.

Pho with garlic.

Chicken pot pie with carved Spam toppings.

StudentChefEclipse, I am sure all the neighbors will be visiting you with that salad.... :smile:

Hmm... I think Paella.

Though I'm not sure how the logistics of that would work.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

We would be there, Melissa. And quite likely buying it from you too, and attending your cooking classes on how to make it.

What top five cheesecake flavors would you tempt us with?

Wellll, and only since you asked so sweetly, Carrot Top, a start might be my classic vanilla purist cheesecake, maybe a Heath bar with an Oreo crust, a lemon cheesecake, a marble cheesecake, and a deep dark chocolate truffle .. used to make an 12 inch cheesecake when I was in the catering business ... not cheap but soooo worth the calories, or so the customers told me and each other ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Wellll, and only since you asked so sweetly, Carrot Top, a start might be my classic vanilla purist cheesecake, maybe a Heath bar with an Oreo crust, a lemon cheesecake, a marble cheesecake, and a deep dark chocolate truffle .. used to make an 12 inch cheesecake when I was in the catering business ... not cheap but soooo worth the calories, or so the customers told me and each other ...  :biggrin:

Isn't there a smilie face over there for a deep deep longing sigh?

There ought to be.

Sigh.

Bacon and eggs and toast.  I'll shinny up the tree and pick my own oranges.

Our menu is expanding. Maggie has moved us to a tropical island and is bringing a full breakfast.

And here I thought I was going to get answers like "a block of tofu' or...'a crate of spinach'...

Don't forget that little black dress, please. Surely it will get us all in to dinner somewhere.... :smile: