• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Next target: the autolyse

Saint Calvel invented the autolyse technique, in which the dough is mixed a short time, without salt, and then allowed to rest a while before the salt is added and mixing is completed. This technique allows the flour to absorb water and organize itself for a while, and this means that less total kneading/mixing time is required to get the dough ready to rise.

Like the "turning" technique, this technique was developed to try to minimize the damage done to dough by big, commercial mixers. Yet many people (see, e.g., Silverton) preach its use by bakers in the home. I've tried it when I've kneaded by hand and machine, and while I certainly grant that it reduces overall mixing time, I can't say I've noticed any difference in the color or taste of the resulting bread.

What do you think? Should home bakers autolyse, and why? I think it might help the home baker avoid carpal tunnel syndrome, but I'm not sure it does much for the bread.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"