• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High end espresso cups

phaelon56

I recently spotted some new crystal espresso cup sets by

Riedel

These might appeal to some stemware and crystal lovers but the shape seems all wrong to me. I naturally gravitate towards a bowl shape with contoured sides and I also like the thermal mass of a thoickwalled cup for heat retention reasons.

Illy Nude cups

are more to my liking but I still can't get past the sense that it's all about the visual appeal rather than the best way to serve espresso. Just curious to know who's tried these and what your reactions are.

Haven't tried these, and am in agreement with your feelings about heat retention. Probably being marketed as more of a wedding gift type thing - perhaps they (Reidel) should stick to stemware (and those new wine glasses sans stems - anyone tried them?).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The Riedel cups look awful to me. If I didn't have the Illy Alien cups I'd likely buy the Nude ones. If you preheat the cup it'll keep your drink warm for the whole minute it takes to drink it after it's brewed.

Well Owen, I'm not particularly qualified to comment. The only expensive espresso cups I have are some chromed ones which are useless because they conduct heat too well and burn your lips.

I covet the Illy Nudes but I can't say those Riedel ones really do much for me.

What I will say is that of the many different cups I have I always go back to one set in particular. I can't remember where they came from but they will have been cheap. They're not even really espresso size but are just thick plain white ceramic. I can't honestly say they improve the taste, but they just *feel* right.

I've tried (plain) Illy cups (some swanky bar in Germany IIRC) and they similarly felt right.

bainesy

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

I've tried (plain) Illy cups

Yeah... those are the "bar cups" and they're great. Melkor has the snazzy Illy Alien series art cups. Collectors go crazy over those and other Illy limited edition cups. All the art cups are of a higher grade porcelain and more finely finished than the bar cups but they share a nice thick wall and great heat retention. To me it's not so much the heat retention to keep espresso hot more than a few minutes at most but to prevent the cup from initially leaching off heat when that sweet nectar first hits the surface.

I thiink you're right about the wedding goft scenario. I just though they looked liek a crappy design - the Illy cups are in a set of four for uner $100 IIRC and obviously a batter deal. If I get married will all y'all by me some? (I'm practicing my Southernspeak to ensure a seamless transition for a planned move to NC late next year).