• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gusano jones

QuinaQuen

There's probably no other liquor with a wider variation in style and quality than Mezcal, even if you count the zillion beverages that call themselves "whiskey". From spring break benders to pinky-in-the-air revelations...who has a good mezcal story?

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

A friend, ex college football player, was having his 30th birthday party at his favorite bar. He booked the patio for the party. He had recently returned from a trip to Mexico. When you walked into the patio, the front of the bar was covered with individual, airline bottle sized, bottles of Mezcal, each with a worm. The host forced everone to shoot one bottle with worm, before you could order anything else to drink...and he drank one with each guest.

The entire party was thrown out of the bar, when the host, about 6'5 and 250, started arguing with the seven foot tall ice maker machine and started to beat up the machine. He was hallucinating and thought it was some other guy giving him a hard time...Took seven of us to drag him out of the bar...I don't remember much else, but I can still see Tom screaming obscenties at the ice maker and punching it out...pretty sad but pretty funny at the same time.

Ever since that night, fifteen plus years ago, I can not STAND even the smell of Mezcal.

Cheers,

Rob

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

Tee hee, it just goes to prove the old saying:

It's not the worm that makes you hallucinate, it's all the mezcal you have to drink to get to the worm.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...