• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Overly Sweet Butternut Squash

elion_84

Do you find butternut squash too sweet?

Twice in the last couple of weeks I bought very nice butternut squash at the farmers market. The first time I made ravioli, the second time pasta (Mario Batali's recipe from last F&W). Both time my wife complained that the dish was too sweet. The second squash looked not quite ripe, but sauteeing seemed to bring out a lot of sugar.

Is the a way to make it less sweet? Should I try different kind of squash? If so, what kind?

Dry cooking methods such as roasting and sauteeing tend to bring a squash's sugars to the fore. You might want to blanch or par-cook the squash in a little bit of water before sauteeing; that would diminish the sweetness somewhat but allow you to finish the dish in the prescribed fashion.

I know that pumpkin ravioli are widespread in northern Italian cuisine. Perhaps Mario deliberately uses the butternut squash alternative to take advantage of the sweeter, dryer vegetable?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 17 years later...

A week ago I roasted some chunks of squash. They were nice...a little sweet.

I wrapped the unused squash butt in saran and refrigerated it for a week and chopped and roasted it the same way.  It was much much sweeter.

Is this a squash thing...sweetening with refrigeration?  Or is it sweetening after cutting and storage?

I vaguely recall something about squash sweetening if you cook it at a lower temp first.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

Sweet potato sweetens if you cook it at a lower temperature.  I didn't know much about squash amylase, so I googled...

https://journals.ashs.org/downloadpdf/journals/jashs/124/6/article-p587.pdf

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I am not being facetious - I think the butt/thicker end is sweeter. So the thickest part. My reading is the butt end was not already roasted.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

I think it's called cold induced sweetening.

White potatoes will also turn sweet in a fridge — starch converts to sugars.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 5

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!