• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World Series Food

Mayor Bloomberg of NYC and Mayor Menino of Boston have a bet going on the ALCS. Of course, it's food related.

NY Pastrami vs. Boston Cream Pie

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

As a true baseball fan, my home is open to all friends to drop by and watch a game...any game...thru out the whole October shebang.

I go to my local butcher, Iowa Meat Farms in San Diego, and buy wonderful hot dogs in real casings that snap when you bite into them.

I fill my long dining rom table with everything baseball....buns, fresh popped pop corn, diced onions, an assortment of mustards, relish, boxes of Cracker Jack, pretzels, churros, sodas and beer. the food stays on as long as there are people in the house.

Since this is San Diego, I am toying with the idea of adding fish tacos to the table for the world series....its a local tradition. :cool:

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

If Yankees-Red Sox is a repeat of 2003, I'll be eating stadium dogs at game 7 (our season ticket plan allowed us tickets for one game per round.  for some reason Blovie chose the final game of each)

Better bring enough cash for a few of those 'dogs guys, could be a long one! Have a great time... wish I could be there with you. Keep an eye on that shyster A-Rod. :hmmm:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Better bring enough cash for a few of those 'dogs guys, could be a long one!  Have a great time... wish I could be there with you.  Keep an eye on that shyster A-Rod.  :hmmm:

I have a Yankee stadium dining ritual which will guarantee a Yankee victory. This ritual has been honed by going to games during the regular season, ALDS, ALCS, and World Series. I hope what I'm about to admit to won't get me kicked off egullet....

We bring our own bag of roasted peanuts to the game. Those last until about the top of the 3rd. Then, we get Cracker Jacks from a vendor. Those will get demolished in 2 innings. Finally, between the 5th and 6th we're ready for the hotdogs. We get 3 'dogs and a knish, which we smother with mustard. Blovie is charged with the 'dog prep as I'm responsible for keeping the score card. We also go through at least 2 bottles of Coke, although tonight we might go with the coffee.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

I have a Yankee stadium dining ritual which will guarantee a Yankee victory.  This ritual has been honed by going to games during the regular season, ALDS, ALCS, and World Series.  I hope what I'm about to admit to won't get me kicked off egullet....

We bring our own bag of roasted peanuts to the game.  Those last until about the top of the 3rd.  Then, we get Cracker Jacks from a vendor.  Those will get demolished in 2 innings.  Finally, between the 5th and 6th we're ready for the hotdogs.  We get 3 'dogs and a knish, which we smother with mustard.  Blovie is charged with the 'dog prep as I'm responsible for keeping the score card.  We also go through at least 2 bottles of Coke, although tonight we might go with the coffee.

This is exactly what I'll be having in front of the television tonight as I watch the Yankees move on to the World Series! (During the series games I try to emulate the ballpark food experience, except no Coke for me -- make mine coffee. Oh, and the knish -- you can't get a decent knish here for love nor money.)

Cheers,

Squeat

Maybe the line of armed riot police on the field during the last part of the game was to fend off, with their plastic shields, flying mustard-covered kosher knishes (a dangerous, formidable missile when hurled with great force and dismay :shock: ) from Alex Rodriguez' shayna punim (pretty face)? :laugh::rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

hope blovie and you enjoy them. who would have thought? :blink:

If Yankees-Red Sox is a repeat of 2003, I'll be eating stadium dogs at game 7 (our season ticket plan allowed us tickets for one game per round.  for some reason Blovie chose the final game of each)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Maybe the line of armed riot police on the field during the last part of the game was to fend off, with their plastic shields, flying mustard-covered kosher knishes (a dangerous, formidable missile when hurled with great force and dismay :shock: ) from Alex Rodriguez' shayna punim (pretty face)? :laugh:  :rolleyes:

Let me tell you, considering the price of those knishes, that's one expensive missile. The only place they belong is inside my belly. :laugh:

well, i'll be at work tonight - just as i was monday bearing with all the abuse from these northwest nj barbarians :hmmm: . i brought hot dogs, baked beans and sauerkraut which i'll eat at 4:15...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Let me tell you, considering the price of those knishes, that's one expensive missile.  The only place they belong is inside my belly.  :laugh:

Only thing more expensive than a knish in flight? Alex Rodriguez face ... and arms and hands ... now those are no doubt insured by Lloyd's of London ... :hmmm:

I have a Yankee stadium dining ritual which will guarantee a Yankee victory.  This ritual has been honed by going to games during the regular season, ALDS, ALCS, and World Series.  I hope what I'm about to admit to won't get me kicked off egullet....

We bring our own bag of roasted peanuts to the game.  Those last until about the top of the 3rd.  Then, we get Cracker Jacks from a vendor.  Those will get demolished in 2 innings.  Finally, between the 5th and 6th we're ready for the hotdogs.  We get 3 'dogs and a knish, which we smother with mustard.  Blovie is charged with the 'dog prep as I'm responsible for keeping the score card.  We also go through at least 2 bottles of Coke, although tonight we might go with the coffee.

I dearly hope that your ritual works. Enjoy!

Maybe the line of armed riot police on the field during the last part of the game was to fend off, with their plastic shields, flying mustard-covered kosher knishes (a dangerous, formidable missile when hurled with great force and dismay :shock: ) from Alex Rodriguez' shayna punim (pretty face)? :laugh:  :rolleyes:

Ah, but what a pretty face it is. :wink:

Only thing more expensive than a knish in flight? Alex Rodriguez  face ... and arms and hands ... now those are no doubt insured by Lloyd's of London ...  :hmmm:

Let's not forget that Manny Ramirez's arms, legs, and everything else are almost as expensive. But much less talented. :biggrin:

Looks like baked beans and clam chowder are in order. CONGRATULATIONS, you long-suffering diehard Red Sox fans. I am thrilled for you all! (And I knew they were going to win today.)

As I frantically scanned the crowd during wide shots, I thought I saw Bloviatrix and Blovie snacking on their prized knishes ... sorry, Bloviatrix that I could not find you ... if I even knew what you looked like :laugh: ... and that your Yankees won't be in the series this year ... :sad:

Looks like baked beans and clam chowder are in order. CONGRATULATIONS, you long-suffering diehard Red Sox fans. I am thrilled for you all! (And I knew they were going to win today.)

That menu worked up to now...

...Now we have to spend some real money to get us through the Ultimate Series!

:cool::cool::cool:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Oh, boo hoo for the Yankees. Give someone else a chance! It's like seeing Meryl Streep or Tom Hanks nominated for an Oscar again.

I understand why the Janks (as my Brooklyn buddy calls 'em) fans love their team: New York City is the most charmingly arrogant joint in America, and the Yanks just embody that. I think it's cute as hell. I have no problems with fan loyalty.

I am just happy for Boston. You know, "always a bridesmaid, never a bride"? I'm so glad someone threw the bouquet to the Red Sox.

Note: this is the first time in my life that I've ever rooted for an AL team. I mean, "designated hitters"? C'mon! Play ball.

Baseball is a great American tradition. I like when the non-dominant heirlooms kick in.

Juneau?*

*Read phonetically. Not geographically. Emphasis on the second syllable. Juneau?

I dearly hope that your ritual works.  Enjoy!

Ah, but what a pretty face it is.  :wink:

Let's not forget that Manny Ramirez's arms, legs, and everything else are almost as expensive.  But much less talented.  :biggrin:

Mulcahy,

AROD may be more talented than Ramirez. Hell, he might be more talented than anybody on the planet. But Ramirez is playing for a winner, something that Rodriguez never has in his major league career.

Porkpa

Mulcahy,

AROD may be more talented than Ramirez. Hell, he might be more talented than anybody on the planet. But Ramirez is playing for a winner, something that Rodriguez never has in his major league career.

Porkpa

Manny hasn't either, yet. They still need to get past St. Louis or Houston (and Roger Clemens). So we'll see if they do . . . :raz:

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh - yeah! Sweet... so, so sweet....

Spatchcock that crow...

edit to add: It's like the Berlin Wall has fallen around here

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

a bit of historical reference on what was in humble pie originally:

The dish called humble pie was a pie made of the inferior parts of the deer. These inferior parts, or humbles, may have been the kidneys, intestines, heart, or liver. They were boiled until tender, and mixed with suet, apples, currants, sugar, salt, and spices such as mace, cloves, and nutmeg.
:rolleyes:

and back to the perfect wine pairing for potted crow, s'il vous plait? :rolleyes: