• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World Series Food

To Robert and my fellow Sox fans....

Let's face it, our enemy is not the Yankees.... We have met the enemy and he iz us (Pogo).

If the Sox were perennial cellar dwellers (coff coff Mets coff coff) or were pulverized each time they made the postseason playoffs, we (the fans) could just roll our eyes and accept the fact that the Sox are losers.

But the Sox have had some terrific teams... This year's was phenomonally talented and scrappy... They liked each other, they shaved their heads and grew goatees and they even had a battle call- "Cowboy Up" (Dorky? Yes, but that's camaraderie!)

I do not credit the Yankees or Mets for their victories against the Sox. The Red Sox blew those games. We were salivating at our chance to taste victory (In '86 the broadcasters even announced that Bruce Hurst was going to be named the series MVP...). Then the Sox blew it. Blame whomever you want (Buckner, Grady, Pedro...) it doesn't really matter... but those games didn't lose themselves.

And that's the pain of it. To be on the cusp and suffer a brain fart.

No, I won't exactly be going rah rah rah for the Yanks... but I hold nothing against them for the Sox's implosion.

edited to credit Pogo.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

Food people.... Food.... the topic is World Series FOOD.

Game 1 we had Zweigles hot dogs, chili and warmed peanuts in the shell.

What did everyone else have.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The game was a disappointment last night, but our food was good. We had an assortment of Zweigle's sausages with spicy mustard, sauerkraut and homemade chili (from the freezer, dated 12/09/02 -- YUM :biggrin: the top of the chili was lined with plastic wrap under the lid, so no freezer burn). The quarter pound white hots were served on baguette, having found regular hot dog buns to insubstantial for these large dogs. We also opened one of the assortment packs which consisted of 5 smaller dogs (about the same size as Ball Park brand franks (thick but short)): red and white hots with and without skin and one Italian sausage. There is a slight difference in the flavor and texture of the red hots IMO. I wonder if it's just psychological, we'll have to do a blind tasting with the other pack. In any case, at this point I prefer the reds with skin. Their Italian sausage is very good, but I can get better versions locally so I wouldn't bother mail ordering them unless you can't.

Later on we had some peanuts (Peanuts! Get your Hot Peanuts here!) in the shell, roasted in the oven for a few minutes to duplicate that authentic ball park experience.

Edit: I see Jason is up and posting! :laugh:

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Knublewurst (aka garlic salami) sandwiches were the main event. I adore knublewurst, :wub: but it's very difficult to find these days. Katz's is one of the few delis that carries it, so we took home a whole ring yesterday. I cut slices and steamed them to get them hot, then piled them on freshly sliced rye bread liberally slathered with Ba-Tampte Deli Mustard. Sandwiches were accompanied by a Yonah Schimmel potato knish and, of course, sour pickles. Diet Vanilla Pepsi for my husband; Dr. Brown's Cream Soda for me. Altogether a scrumiumptious meal! :smile:

Food people.... Food.... the topic is World Series FOOD.

Game 1 we had Zweigles hot dogs, chili and warmed peanuts in the shell.

What did everyone else have.

so why the flip didn't you and rachel invite us over.....

i'm a goy so i can turn the tv on :raz:

i ignored the game......ate out and you can read about it on the nj board

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

To Robert and my fellow Sox fans....

Let's face it, our enemy is not the Yankees....  We have met the enemy and he iz us (Pogo).

which is why all red sox and cubs fans make the best hawkwatchers

we are used to disapointment and still have the patience to keep on doing what we do

we live in hope and die in dispair

next year........ :smile:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Last night the TV promptly went on 7:30 due to the magic of built in TV timers. It felt a bit sacreligious lighting my candles, and saying kiddush (blessing over the wine) and hamotzi (blessing on the bread) while the tv was on.

As soon as the game ended, I turned to my husband and asked if he thought we jinxed the Yanks. He assured me it wasn't our fault. :laugh:

Anyway, because it was a holiday, we ate perfectly rare london broil that was marinated in a sherry-toasted sesame oil-soy marinade with noodles in a soy-rice vinegar dressing and green beans tossed with toasted sesame oil.

Andy P is two outs aways from pitching a SO as I type. Tonight no food was eaten, as we were still too stuffed from the lunch we hosted.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Make sure to drink a shot for Fresser, Bloviatrix.  And remember:  liquor makes you shikker!  :laugh:

BTW, yesterday I drank: Bunnahabain (is that how you spell it), Abelour Abundah, and some other stuff.

Today I had some other Islays. Can't remember the names. But one was aged in claret casks.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

I think tomorrow we should make some Japanese food in honor of Godzilla!

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I think tomorrow we should make some Japanese food in honor of Godzilla!

Oh man, I just said the same exact thing to my husband. :hmmm:

(cue twilight zone music)

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

At game 2 last night in the upper deck, we had vendor-served beer and peanuts.

Also:

The friend who got me a ticket brought almost all of a leftover, rare steak for two from the brooklyn Blue Ribbon, along with the spinach side and one grilled vegetable skewer. I brought about half of a bourbon pecan pie I made in the afternoon.

I worried that they wouldn't let us bring in the food, but other than a vigorous frisking that made some of the pecan pie squirt out into my jacket pockets, we didn't have any trouble.

I tried to get a hot dog late in the game, but I couldn't get the vendor's attention.

the game was a bit lacking in suspense, but it was a very nice time nonetheless.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

This afternoon I received further confirmation that my watching the game on saturday night did not jinx the Yanks. Rather, the cause for the loss was my mailman. He's been to all three game ones, when the Yankees have lost, this playoff season. I've requested that he stop going to important games. :laugh:

Aren't you guys listening?

I said I went to the World Series yesterday!

You're supposed to express shock and jealousy, and I'm supposed to say it wasn't that great, but eat your hearts out!

No one ever writes about being a Yankee fan, but the written lore about being a Red Sox one is the stuff of good literature.

Yeah, that Stephen Jay Gould couldn't write worth a whit.

First of all, apologies to Jason and everyone. I HAD meant for that post to be about food, but the suggestion that

No one ever writes about being a Yankee fan
had me so addlepated I posted prematurely!

So about the food. Saturday is usually my Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market day, unless I need to buy coffee as I indeed did on Saturday, in which case I head over to North Beach.

Yes, I have lived in San Francisco for over 20 years, but I've been a loyal Yankee fan for over 40! Sometimes it's lonely and tough being a Yankee fan here. Case in point, the guy at the coffee store (Graffeo) gave me cheese about my Yankee's cap. This cap gets a lot of people asking questions because the white top-stitching on the front, instead of the usual "NY" logo, has the Hebrew characters for "Yankees"! (And it IS an official MLB cap.) Well, this guy was cleverer than most people who ask me about it (Most popular questions are "What's your hat say?" and "Is that Arabic?" (??)), and caught the word "Yankees" in English on the smaller top-hat logo on the side. So he asks me if it's a Marlin's cap... grrr. I smile politely, say "Yankees" and place my order for a pound of half-and-half. As I'm leaving, he says, "Go A's!" Whatever. It's the world's best coffee.

Anyway, since I was in North Beach I stopped at Molinari's and got a pound of their deservedly renowned domestic prosciutto (no, I'm not Jewish -- I happened upon the cap when I was learning the Hebrew alphabet and of course had to have it!) and some provolone. Then I stopped at Liguria bakery for some of their equally deservedly renowned focaccia. So that's what I had for Saturday's game: prosciutto and provolone open-face sandwiches toasted on focaccia in the toaster oven. (I'm stove impaired at the moment and having to be quite creative.)

It was so good I had the same thing for Sunday's game. For tomorrow, I'm thinking something a little more World-Seriesy... I could order in from Escape From New York pizza, but their quality control has declined so dismally in the past few months I might wind up with nothing edible. I'm thinking I'll get some kosher franks and broil 'em up in the ol' toaster overn.

Let's Go, Yankees!

PS Yes SethG, I am eaten up with envy!

Aren't you guys listening? 

I said I went to the World Series yesterday!

You're supposed to express shock and jealousy, and I'm supposed to say it wasn't that great, but eat your hearts out!

You do realize there were approx 55,000 other fans with you???

Plus, when you live in NY you can't really let jealousy affect you all that much. In this city especially there's going to be people who have something more than you. NYC has always been a city of extremes. Having graduated with my MBA last year and remaining unemployed all this time, and having several friends who graduated in 2000 when each had approx. two dozen offers per, I would be a nutcase if I let envy take a hold of me. Fine, I might not live on Park Avenue, eat at fabulous restaurants three times a week, vacation in exotic place, or purchase Knicks season tickets to hold on to for when they turn it around and are good again (I really do have a friend who did this), but I don't have cancer either. So life is good.

Anyway, back to food. For tonight, we're serving arroz con pollo, fried plaintains, and flan in honor of our Miami hosts. Cuba Si! Castro No! Free Elian!

You do realize there were approx 55,000 other fans with you??? 

Uh, yeah. I was just kidding around.

Sorry.

Edited by SethG (log)

Okay, I think its gonna be Bagels and Lox tomorrow night. So we can sit shiva for the yankees.

So how much do postings on the NY/New Jersey boards drop off during a game?

This Dodger fan in Southern California on our fifth (but who's counting) day of 90 plus degree weather is eating...what else? Guacamole and chips!

Edited by kitwilliams (log)

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Okay, I think its gonna be Bagels and Lox tomorrow night. So we can sit shiva for the yankees.

Jason, you disappoint me. Where's your faith?

Out the window. Guess we're going to be having shiva bagels tomorrow.

Out the window. Guess we're going to be having shiva bagels tomorrow.

My condolences NYC. Can one eat Marlin?

Yeah, its an edible fish, related to the swordfish.