• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World Series Food

While the World Series isn't an "event" like the superbowl or the kentucky derby is, with particular food traditions, I thought we should take the time to discuss menu planning for all the games, because we are, of course, eGullet.

I think it would be cool to try to approximate stadium cuisine in the home. Obviously of course, you got hot dogs, and theres lots of leeway there.

So what will you guys be eating during the world series? Anyone got any cool recipes for unusual couch potato fare? Neat variations on hot dogs, sandwiches and different kinds of dips?

And, oh yeah,

GO YANKEES!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm sitting here with YES on, watching post-game and trying to figure out how we'll set the timer on the TV so we can watch the game on saturday night (it's simchat torah).

Anyway, I don't make any specific world series food. Typically, we order in from Dougie's, which is the kosher BBQ place - wings, ribs, burgers and wash it down with some beers. It's a beautiful thing. :smile:

I'm making a bit pot of chili for the lunch I'm hosting on sunday, so we might eat that as well.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

*sniff*

BLOW OUT THOSE MARLINS.

My heart was with the Cubbies. Been there. Insult to injury: a replay of the Marlins in Cleveland was replayed last night. :angry:

I will NEVER forget being able to hear a pin drop in my very over capacity filled bar for that not long ago game (but seems like lightyears away now for those Smindians).

Oh, foodwise.... Seemed to be the beer of choice.

GO YANKS.

I'm sitting here with YES on, watching post-game and trying to figure out how we'll set the timer on the TV so we can watch the game on saturday night (it's simchat torah).

my orthodox friends, big yankee fans, will just leave the tv on...

i forgot in my excitement to list my favorite world series food..it's gotta be pizza...you don't want something too complicated such that you have to take your eyes off the tv. you also need something that complements beer. plus, for crying out loud, this is a baseball game! can't really get more casual than that.

One year at Simchat Torah, I saw a Hasidic rabbi dancing the Macarena. :shock:

Make sure to drink a shot for Fresser, Bloviatrix. And remember: liquor makes you shikker! :laugh:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Although we will set the TV on timer, I always have a small, nagging fear that by doing this we're somehow going to jinx them.

And Fresser -- those Chasidim know how to party (and drink!!). I'll be glad to take a shot for you. Hell, I can do several. Is single malt acceptable? We're going to friends for lunch tomorrow. They have a scotch library in the hundreds. It always makes for an interesting meal.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Although we will set the TV on timer, I always have a small, nagging fear that by doing this we're somehow going to jinx them. 

Because we were out two evenings last week when the Yanks played the Twins, my husband taped both games. During the ride home, we kept the radio off to make sure he didn't accidentally hear the final scores before he was able to watch the tapes. :biggrin: The Yankees lost one game, :sad: and won one game. :smile: So, bloviatix, I think you can stop worrying that taping the game = a jinx. :laugh:

Wait a second, you can watch TV on shabbas providing the TV turns itself on?

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Well, you're not technically breaking any laws. But it's not in the spirit of the day. I figure if I can put lights on a timer, why not a tv.

Our setting the TV on the timer isn't something we announce publicly. Just a few select people know we do this. And, now all you guys know as well. :laugh:

We only do this during the playoffs when the games mean something. It's not something we would do during the regular season. This is the lengths we sport obsessed fans go to.

Well, you're not technically breaking any laws. But it's not in the spirit of the day. I figure if I can put lights on a timer, why not a tv.

Our setting the TV on the timer isn't something we announce publicly. Just a few select people know we do this. And, now all you guys know as well. :laugh:

We only do this during the playoffs when the games mean something. It's not something we would do during the regular season. This is the lengths we sport obsessed fans go to.

having the timer on the tv is no different than a shabbas goy.

Boston Baked Beans.

New England Clam Chowder.

Schrod.

Boston Cream Pie.

Anything but Fenway Franks, because they don't serve those in October. But they do serve up a hell of a gopher ball.

(And to those Medford people who broke my car windows in '86 when the Mets beat the Red Sox in game seven -- Fuck you.)

(And to those Medford people who broke my car windows in '86 when the Mets beat the Red Sox in game seven -- Fuck you.)

ouch!! harboring a bit of bitterness there?

when i went to tufts in the early 90s, both medford and slummerville were serious shithole townie neighborhoods. but at a bar a few weeks ago i started talking to a girl that had just graduated and she was just raving about how nice sommerville has become and how hip it is. that's gentrification for ya.

ouch!! harboring a bit of bitterness there?

when i went to tufts in the early 90s, both medford and slummerville were serious shithole townie neighborhoods. but at a bar a few weeks ago i started talking to a girl that had just graduated and she was just raving about how nice sommerville has become and how hip it is. that's gentrification for ya.

Sheesh !!! Kiddos :smile: I'm from the time Big Dig was just a concept, White was the mayor, bridges were measured in Smoots and we hacked the :laugh:Harvard-Yale game

Edited by anil (log)

anil

Okay, ok, back to food.. lets hear about some interesting appetizer and snack ideas.

We're going to be serving Zweigle's White Hots tomorrow. I think at least for game 1, hot dogs are mandatory. Game 2 is probably pizza, Game 3, perhaps a different kind of sausage, maybe Italian sausages and peppers. Game 4 probably hoagies, maybe we can replicate the Yankee Stadium from Mike's deli. I think a day trip to the Bronx is probably in order for the sausages and the cold cuts.

Reggie, since you are living in Boston... Sometime when you are in the Brockton area, check out the pizza at the Cape Cod Cafe. It is a dive bar.... but they have intriguing pizza. The most expensive item on their menu is $8.50. Get the pizzas with one topping only, otherwise they get soggy. My faves are the linguica and the onion.

To Jason: I recommend linguica on a roll ... nice alternative to italian sausage.

Okay, ok, back to food.. lets hear about some interesting    ideas.

No it's more fun on the edges - maybe we should symbolically link this topic to New Englans and Heartland Groups

How about Boston Beans to begin with and Chicago Dogs during the 7th inning commercial break. Personally I want this series over before I fly to AMS (NYY in 4)

Edited by anil (log)

anil

Reggie, since you are living in Boston...  Sometime when you are in the Brockton area, check out the pizza at the Cape Cod Cafe.  It is a dive bar....  but they have intriguing pizza.  The most expensive item on their menu is $8.50.  Get the pizzas with one topping only, otherwise they get soggy.  My faves are the linguica and the onion. 

To Jason: I recommend linguica on a roll ...  nice alternative to italian sausage.

Linguica is like a spanish chorizo, right? or is it the portuguese equivalent to italian sausage?

Reggie, since you are living in Boston...  Sometime when you are in the Brockton area, check out the pizza at the Cape Cod Cafe.  It is a dive bar.... but they have intriguing pizza.  The most expensive item on their menu is $8.50.  Get the pizzas with one topping only, otherwise they get soggy.  My faves are the linguica and the onion. 

To Jason: I recommend linguica on a roll ...  nice alternative to italian sausage.

Linguica is like a spanish chorizo, right? or is it the portuguese equivalent to italian sausage?

Linguica is a portugese sausage, red like chorizo but narrower. It comes either in a coil like sausage or packed like hot dogs. The only brand I have ever seen is Gaspar's.

You don't boil it (unless it is part of a New England clam boil). You fry it in a frying pan. A popular recipe is linguica with peppers and onions.

I've dubbed this World Series the "Bobbeh" Series since it's taking place in New York and Miami. Having been raised in Massachusetts, I have been a life-long Red Sox fan. I would rather endure the pain and suffering from never seeing the Red Sox raise a World Series flag over Fenway in 85 years than being a Yankee follower. Yankee fans I imagine to eat at Mama Leone's and Luchow's, and Boston fans at Jake Wirth's and Jack & Marian's. No one ever writes about being a Yankee fan, but the written lore about being a Red Sox one is the stuff of good literature. (Lots of great painters are for the Red Sox, too). So, of course, I'm hoping the Florida Marvin's can win, which makes the appropriate food chopped liver, potato knishes, and whatever pleases your take-out fancy at Barney Greengrass.

I've dubbed this World Series the "Bobbeh" Series since it's taking place in New York and Miami. Having been raised in Massachusetts, I have been a life-long Red Sox fan. I would rather endure the pain and suffering from never seeing the Red Sox raise a World Series flag over Fenway in 85 years than being a Yankee follower. Yankee fans I imagine to eat at Mama Leone's and Luchow's, and Boston fans at Jake Wirth's and Jack & Marian's. No one ever writes about being a Yankee fan, but the written lore about being a Red Sox one is the stuff of good literature. (Lots of great painters are for the Red Sox, too). So, of course, I'm hoping the Florida Marvin's can win, which makes the appropriate food chopped liver, potato knishes, and whatever pleases your take-out fancy at Barney Greengrass.

OH, PULEAZE......

you red sox fans are so self-righteous. as if rooting for the sox is noble and a choice made by the valiant and courageous, rather than an accident of location. get off your high horse.

i don't know if there is a God and i've never seen evidence s/he exists. but if there is a God, s/he is definitely a Yankee fan.

Listen Reggie, where I grew up, Springfield, Mass., half the kids rooted for the Sox and half for the New York team. The unimaginative ones went for the latter. The only reason they did so was because the New York team had already won three or four World Series in a row.Then when Steinbrenner took over, he sucked all the life and color out of the team because he had them so scared. My whole life, even back then, people said rooting for New York was like rooting for General Motors. It's true. Since off-topic posts are frowned upon, watch the game tonight and eat all your chicken a la king since you think the New Yorks are like Royalty.

Oh yes, do you think Brian Cashman's grandfather ever did anything like writing the screenplay for "Casablanca"?