• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned Vegetable Confessions

Susan in FL

I'm a Trappey's fan for beans. Blue Runner makes good beans as well. Other than that, my only regular purchase is the Green Giant niblets. Love those things.

And I do the occasional asparagus from a can. Only after being refrigerated, though...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I do miss Goya products.  I found some in a Chinese wholesale market over here, in the American import section.  No beans, though.  :sad:

I will be happy to mail you some cans of Goya beans! Please email or PM me if you would like me to... No reason for you to do without something that you miss which is so easy to get here!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

LeSueur Early June Peas. At one time the can said 'petite pois' but no longer. This one is a holdover from my childhood.

I do understand the appeal of something like that which is a carry-over from childhood. It's like it's not necessarily peas, but a food unto itself. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I do recall a recipe from my ex-MIL years ago that is about the only use of canned peas that I can remember being good. She insisted on Green Giant brand. I always found this interesting because she was not a big fan of canned vegetables.

She would drain and rinse the peas. Then, some minced garlic was sauteed in a big dollop of butter. The peas were added with a little chicken stock and a fairly generous amount of oregano. After they were heated, she would smash a few peas to thicken the "sauce". It was really good. I haven't thought of that in years.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose