• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Sandwiches

JennyUptown: So, where'd you end up??

Nowhere. Didn't make the trip over today and will instead go tomorrow, but - alas - in the morning on my way to work. No sandwich.

Instead I ate locally, had a not-terrible-but-not-great roast beef with gorgonzola on brown bread...from Au Bon Pan <<desperate>>

if you were being frizzled in the electric chair tomorrow, and you had one sandwich as your last meal, would your answers be the same?

that would be a salt beef bagel from the brick lane beigel (yes english jews spell it this way) bakery. slathered with nasal-napalm; also known as english mustard. and the surly checkout lass who chats with an unlit fag hanging out of her mouth and you glance to your pocket to fetch 1.19 (nearly two dollars!) and when you look up she's stubbing it out and reaching for another in a single, fluid beautiful motion. then she yells at you to hurry. eat in the street and return to the back of the queue and repeat.

i cant figure out how to do that double quote thing (yes techfear. i'm sensitive about) but the exiled mainer should trek down to corduroy for a lobster roll. my one (and sadly only) trip this past summer featured this exquisite execution of a classic. i would call to double check though.

i propose a toast (pun intended) to the atkins-devil, the earl of sandwich. i believe we all owe him a debt of gratitude, if the myth holds true. i hear the bottle of jameson's squawking and cawing at me from a little watering hole in mt. pleasant...

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

By the way, has anyone here heard of a sandwich known as a Sebastian? My friend's father (whose name, not surprisingly, is Sebastian, and is native to the Washington DC area) invented it as he submitted it many, many years ago for a contest, and won. I can't even remember what's in it, but it's pretty basic stuff.

This is a fascinating thread, because it has veered towards peoples favorite everyday, staple low-man work-a-day get-em-and-go sandwiches, even though there hasn't been any particular impetus to do so.

Citronelle's lobster burger (and wagyu burger?) and Palena's hamburger are contenders, sure.

But for everyday stuff?  A great sandwich must start with great bread, and despite the imbalances, Breadline sure makes a pretty good run for the money.

Still waiting for a Po Boy at Johnny's Half Shell.

I can agree with Don Rocks on the lobster sandwich at Citronelle's! Took my wife there recently one Sunday night for her birthday and it was on the menu. I was blown away!

I usually don't think of a sandwich when dining fine, but was very glad to see it.

I think of sandwiches more toward the work-a-day, I guess, like a poboy. Some of my favorite sandwiches are from down in Louisiana where I come from, largely because of the bread. If you should ever go down to Cajun country around Lafayette, give me a holler and I can definitely point out some great sandwich places for you. Don't know as much about New Orleans.

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

I believe that sandwich would be the Manhattan. My favorite when I was training to be a movie theater manager at the late Jennifer Theater

yes! monkey2000 the manhattan. a damn satisfying sandwich. what happened to the jennifer? :shock: i suppose next you'll tell me that hermans and the american cafe are gone! isn't it still 1993 in DC?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

yes! monkey2000 the manhattan. a damn satisfying sandwich. what happened to the jennifer?  :shock:  i suppose next you'll tell me that hermans and the american cafe are gone! isn't it still 1993 in DC?

No one tell her that Herman's is now a Cosi and American cafe is a TJ Maxx which in the mid '90's was Ruby Tuesday's kind of chain.

This favorite sandwich idea would make a great thread in say, the general foods forum, but since our fh started it :hmmm:

Reading this thread makes me realize how long it has been since I had a truly great sandwich. Last night I had a horrendous cheddar and tomato panini at Bardeo which reminded me how bad a sandwich can be :sad:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I've had a bug up my ass all day thinking about this thread. Or, perhaps I just was in a pissy mood and casting about for something to set me off.

Waiting on death row? Chicken and lobster sub on crappy Sysco baguette.

Picture scene. Summer of '93. Sitting in the hidden courtyard of Jimmy Seas in Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard, where you'd spent all morning peeling a 50 pound sack of red onions, peeling a sack of carrots, and sitting next to a barrel full of the refuse from all the food you've been prepping. Sweat rolling down your brow combined with the run-off from the ice you stashed under your bandanna in a vain attempt to keep cool. You bite down on the best. sandwich. ever. Juices running down your cheek, you wash it down with a cold Rolling Rock that you had stashed in the walk-in. Digestion occurs with the aid of a Camel Light.

The sandwich - Take one-half of a par-baked baguette. Cover with vinagrette. Slice some par-baked chicken breast onto it. Then add some lobster knuckle meat and other lobster byproducts not pretty enough to put in on top of a main pasta dish pilfered from your mise en place. Add shredded red onion (that you prepped yourself around noon in the fuckin' hot sun). Top with some provolone and some Sysco brand parmesan. Add whatever else is available at your station that you feel like putting in. Place in oven next to giant pans of roasting garlic bulbs in 10% olive oil that you are finishing doing your prep work with for 5 minutes.

Take out of oven. Go outside into stinking mini-courtyard. Crack open beer. Eat. Finish. Wipe face with apron used for prep. Take off apron. Light smoke and finish beer. You are now prepared to do 240 covers in small kitchen with maniac chef.

Sometimes the favorite meal or dish has more to do with the experience and memories invoked than the decadence of the ingredients or the price of the dish.

Respectfully,

Joe

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

johnny's half shell. half oyster. fries (as good as zapp's crisps are they do not compete). you will not complain. nor will your wallet with 6.95 plus tax and tip gone.

Still waiting for a Po Boy at Johnny's Half Shell.

Don't wait much longer

The oyster Po Boy is a work of art

Perfect for a fall day like today

Expertly fried and served on top of just enough lettuce and a beautiful tomato slice

Go before the tomato season is over

The tomato made the sandwich

Made up for the crappy service and Zapp's

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I had such a bad sandwich today - my own fault so I don't even know why I'm posting about it. Reading about all of these other sandwiches, real, imagined, mythic, etc., makes me very, very jealous right now.

My mistake? Sliced Koo Koo Roo chicken at the Dupont Fuddruckers. Yikes. It was cold, my friend was stupidly wearing shorts and we were desperate for something to eat. Even Cosi a block north would have been a better choice (soup and coffee).

Blech. Badness.