• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Sandwiches

I very much enjoy the reuben at the Potomac Village Deli. Marbeled wheat and rye bread with a hefty stack of corned-beef and pastrami, russian dressing, and kraut. Om.

There's also the Pica Deli in Arlington, which gets its fabulous bread from Uptown Bakery. For my money, I think it's consistently the best bread around.

I love the Sconset at Jetties on Foxhall road--hummus, sprouts, avocado, and muenster on multigrain bread...mmm.  Jetties' Thanksgiving sandwich (I can't remember its proper name) also looks good, with warm turkey, stuffing, and cranberries, but I haven't been able to tear myself away from the Sconset the few times I've been there.

My Dad was raving about that place just yesterday! I'll have to check that out...

My Dad was raving about that place just yesterday! I'll have to check that out...

My husband got a giant turkey sandwich from Jettie's on Sunday. I couldn't tell you what was in it because he didn't share. But he did moan and groan a couple of times about the fresh turkey slices.

What about Po' Boys?  Louisiana Express in Barfesda is pretty good.  Anyone else?

johnny's half shell. half oyster. fries (as good as zapp's crisps are they do not compete). you will not complain. nor will your wallet with 6.95 plus tax and tip gone.

as a disclaimer, i've not been to new orleans cafe on 18th though informants speak very highly.

oh yeah, i used to work at johnny's too. but i was in love with those po boys before i worked there. honest.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

What about Po' Boys?  Louisiana Express in Barfesda is pretty good.  Anyone else?

Have you been there lately? I have had some pretty bad takeout the past few weeks.

I love the sandwiches Italian subs at Literri's and the proscuitto and mozzerella at Cornucopia.

The Pita Pan at Booeymonger used to be a regular in my diet but it has been awhile.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Have you been there lately?  I have had some pretty bad takeout the past few weeks.

I love the sandwiches Italian subs at Literri's and the proscuitto and mozzerella at Cornucopia.

The Pita Pan at Booeymonger used to be a regular in my diet but it has been awhile.

No, I haven't been to Louisiana Express in a while, but I used to work at Euro Motorcars when I was in school and the company catered with that food three times a week. I ate there maybe 57 times between between 1999 and mid 2001. It was salty, greasy, dirty food (I mean in an internal sense), but I liked that sandwich and the eggs on Sundays, the beignet and the creamy iced cafe oles. c'est la vie.

Edited by morela (log)

I have had the turkey sandwich at Jetties and can recommend it enthusiastically. Freshly roasted with many bread options. Get one while it is still nice out and eat at the picnic tables outside.

I greatly admire the "Philly" Cheesesteaks at George's Townhouse "The King of Falafel" in Georgetown at 29th and M. Order the Super and ask for extra cheese and some tahini. It is MOST certainly the best sandwich you can get in DC till 4AM on Friday and Saturday.

Mark

Ooh, yeah - I forgot about Booeymonger. I stick to the one in G'town, and as much as I'd like to branch out, I always get the Miami Burger. Great lox.

Back to the Minister's original sandwich:

Italian Store Capri sandwich -- one of my all time favorites (because it's generously layered with "gabagool" or coppa ham!

My favorite sandwiches from the Italian store are the Roma and the Napoli, but I trade the capacola (yeah, "gabagool" is how my half-Italian boyfriend says it, too) for pepperoni. "I heart the Italian Store."

Edited by LittleWing (log)

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

Marchone's cold cut, panini, or meatball subs in the Wheaton triangle

Their cold cut sub is one of the few things I miss about Wheaton. That said, they are (or were) closed on Sundays, so it was impossible to get a sub to enjoy during the football games. A small bummer.

Marathon Deli's gyro circa 1986-88 is among my favorite all time.

Giuseppe's in Rockville makes a respectable meatball sandwich but I find it needs a hit of salt and pepper.

Lebanese Taverna's chicken shwarma with garlic sauce - as long as I have no plans for the rest of the day.

Firehook's egg salad.

Sutton Place had some good ones, but they have revamped their sandwich menu and the new selections don't look very interesting.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

This is a fascinating thread, because it has veered towards peoples favorite everyday, staple low-man work-a-day get-em-and-go sandwiches, even though there hasn't been any particular impetus to do so.

And there's nothing wrong with that, but I'll ask this just to, erm, "Conduct a Pole" (as if I were frying Wabeck): if you were being frizzled in the electric chair tomorrow, and you had one sandwich as your last meal, would your answers be the same?

Here's mine: a good friend of mine brought back a kilogram of illegal caviar from Russia a couple of months ago. He had so much he didn't know what to do with it, and was giving it away to his friends in bulk. I had a tupperware container full of the finest beluga and needed to eat it in a couple of days, and so went to Einstein Bagels one morning, got two plain bagels, had some Creme Fraiche from Whole Foods, toasted the bastards, slathered on some Creme Fraiche, and tablespooned what must have been a hundred grams of perfect beluga onto each bagel. You'd bite into it, and since the inch-thick caviar would overflow and spew out onto the plate, you'd have to teaspoon it up afterwards. It was the ultimate decadence that would have spoiled had it not been eaten - what else was there to do?

Citronelle's lobster burger (and wagyu burger?) and Palena's hamburger are contenders, sure.

But for everyday stuff? A great sandwich must start with great bread, and despite the imbalances, Breadline sure makes a pretty good run for the money.

Still waiting for a Po Boy at Johnny's Half Shell.

Fast food? I liked the Chick-Fil-A thread. But Bojangles makes a mean Egg-Bo-Biscuit.

Roy's in Gaithersburg has always been overrated and sort of cruddy, don't you think? Everything is a formula, with too much golden sauce on their "chicken chest." The lobster salad is expensive and not all that special.

Buz & Ned's pulled pork barbeque in Richmond. Oh...

Rocks.

Well, if we're talking dream sandwiches... and really, this isn't a sandwich, but it does feature contents surrounded by a bread substance, similar to the caviar experience above. but:

I spent all my summers in RI as a child, with my grandparents, and got addicted to NE-style lobster rolls. It has to be one of those rectangular-style hot dog rolls, grilled with a tiny bit of butter, then buried in a simple lobster salad ('simple' meaning, big hunks of lobster which have been waved past some mayo and possibly a spice or two.) ah, gorgeous. :wub:

I know someone who visited NE a few years ago, then went on a search for the aforementioned rolls in the DC area. She reported back that there was a place that did them, with reasonable success (albeit for at east twice the price, but whatever.) If I found that place, that would be my sandwich.

But, dreamworld aside, I would totally go with my original choice. If it were my last sandwich ever, though, I could stop worrying about all the fat the mayo, oil, and salami has, and grab a pint of Ben and Jerry's at the same deli to chase it down. :cool:

I know that Kinkead's had a lobster roll on their menu pre-renovation. If it's still there it's worth ordering--I ate it at the bar a few times and really liked it. It's not as good as the ones from lobster shacks in Maine but it scratches the itch.

If you were being frizzled in the electric chair tomorrow, and you had one sandwich as your last meal, would your answers be the same?

Actually, mine still might be. :smile: But that does raise an interesting corollary question: does DC have a superpremium sandwich standout? Something ridiculously excessive along the lines of the Bistro Moderne burger in New York that's stuffed with braised short ribs, truffles and foie gras?

(Michael Landrum's hand-chopped sirloins-onna-bun with tartare deviled eggs on the side don't count, as they're not available to plebs like you and me. At any price. :sad:)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Capitol Grounds is on the other side of Penn from there, at 21st and Penn (One block up from you!). Breadline is vaguely nearby, too. Galileo is right there, but no grill today :sad: . I'll be at Breadline in about half an hour!

Edited to wonder for how long my daylight savings time thing was unchecked and modify accordingly!

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

if you were being frizzled in the electric chair tomorrow, and you had one sandwich as your last meal, would your answers be the same?

No, mine would be the best duck confit sandwich with invisible bread. Minster of Drink always said that for his last supper on Death Row he'd eat a cheese plate full of the best cheeses in the world, but he'd time it right, so that he could leave his executioners a stinky little present at the end. :smile:

Additional nominee, best lunchtime performance by a sandwich special, Restaurant Eve. Today was braised beef with roasted onions, micro arugula and German-style mustard on grilled sourdough bread. Starts with a crunch of crispy crust, then offers up a little swirl of griddle grease, a big hit of buttery, mingled meat and onion and finishes with a tart pop of mustard seed between the choppers. Follow with apple fritters, toffee dipping sauce and some strong, dark coffee on the side. Be replete.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

i used to love a sandwich at booeymonger in high school - when i could get away with such things...it involved roast beef, cheddar, spinach & bacon and a curried? mayo. obscenely good.

the delight at parkway. grilled pumpernickel with munster, russian dressing and pastrami. or coleslaw. and coleslaw? who knows...messy, salty and divine.

growing up my quest was for the best sub sandwich - i guess, italian sandwich. sutton place used to have a decent one ages ago, vace's was never as good as i thought it could be. my dad reminds me that the liquor store on wisconsin avenue (a block north of the cactus cantina/safeway/former fait accompli/former flat top grill) had an italian i liked. as long as they were spicy, i always loved italians.

now i love bahn mi. haven't had them in DC. in seattle i love them with fried tofu or <need paddles> fried eggs. lots of sriracha, thick jalepenos and sweet-crisp daikon and carrot.

last sandwich ever...grilled corned beef and swiss on marble rye with long grilled onions. side of russian dressing. or a lobster roll. or a perfect italian sub with tons of pepper relish.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

if you were being frizzled in the electric chair tomorrow, and you had one sandwich as your last meal, would your answers be the same?

I would instruct my attorney to keep appealing until late summer so my last sandwich would be a BLT with really good tomatoes.

Of course it wouldn't be from a restaurant either.

Bill Russell

i used to love a sandwich at booeymonger in high school - when i could get away with such things...it involved roast beef, cheddar, spinach & bacon and a curried? mayo. obscenely good.

I believe that sandwich would be the Manhattan. My favorite when I was training to be a movie theater manager at the late Jennifer Theater, then as a GU student and when I was living in Friendship Heights after school. Also try it as an Upper Manhattan with turkey, a "lite" version they sometimes feature, really good.

"Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam; spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam. "