• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Sandwiches

This past Saturday I laid waste to an Italian Store Capri sandwich -- one of my all time favorites (because it's generously layered with "gabagool" or coppa ham!

With South Beach and Atkins destoying venerable traditions such as Twinkies, it would be nice to give the really good sandwich the support it so deserves in this militant climate of political correctness. (Imagine, at my Fresh Fields today I overheard a rube refer to a baguette as "carbs", not bread! Needless to say, a savage mauling was in order!)

So, what other places make great sandwiches, heros, subs, etc.... just please don't say Quiznos or Subway!!!!

Edited by Minister of Drink (log)

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

Another one that comes to mind is the turkey club on French bread at a place in McLean called "Sweet Stuff" (corner of Old Dominion and Spring Hill Road next to the 7-11). Simply unfucking believable!!!!!!

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

Breadline. Capitol Grounds. Breadline.

Breadline (17th/18th + Penn), as I am sure I've mentioned in the 'Breadline' thread, rocks my sandwich world. The Friday fried cod sandwich has become a ritual not to be missed, come Hell or law students. Also of note are their Cuban sandwich, the Reuben, and the spicy chicken Dhalia (with peanuts and fried plantain!). The only thing that's fallen even a little flat there was the BBQ pork, which I was really hoping to like. Not that I didn't like it, but it was a little fatty. In fairness, it was the end of their operational day, or near about when I got there, IIRC.

Capitol Grounds (21st + Penn, Conn + 16th?): I was really pleased to see a shout-out to them in Tom's chat last week or the week before, because they do good work but are oft overlooked in Foggy Bottom. Try the 'Three Cheese Grill' or the 'Sea Grill' (Tuna melt with basil - nice touch! Both of these should be ordered 'well done' to get nice crispy cheese around the edges), or the Cuban, or the Sausalito Veggie, or the Isabelle. Or anything, really. It is, as they say, all good. My next stop is the Reuben, which Breadline now has me hooked on. They also do respectable egg-based sandwiches in the morning. Capitol Grounds, like The Burro is another one of those small Foggy Bottom shops I kind of worry about sometimes, but they too seem to hold their own against GW (Ahem, now that meal plan is universal, there's no reason NOT to go!) and the chains. Finally, don't let the fact that a few of the sandwich types are pre-made and held in the side cooler in anticipation of final cooking scare you...turnover at lunch is brisk! It's merely a keeping-up tactic.

-- C.S.

"Number three, well done!"

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Breadline. Capitol Grounds.  Breadline.  Breadline (17th/18th + Penn), as I am sure I've mentioned in the 'Breadline' thread, rocks my sandwich world.

My apologies Chef, but I've been very badly burned more than once with Breadline's sandwiches. Ordered a Reuben mid-day that I ended up (literally) feeding to a dog. Fat, poor seasoning, etc. Tried the El Cubano a year or so later, same story. Anyone who had ever tasted Antonio's (7th & D?) Cubano before they closed would throw rocks at the one Breadline served. I may try them again one of these days, but I'm in no hurry right now.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Pork shoulder sandwich at the occasional Galileo grill. Hands down, no contest. I've said it before: this sandwich has an unnatural hold over me. It's some combination of perfectly tender grilled pork, fresh tomato and "green sauce", and expertly grill-toasted bread of the gods. Holy crap, I want one NOW.

My apologies Chef, but I've been very badly burned more than once with Breadline's sandwiches.

Well, they're not infallable! My first Reuben there wasn't so hot either, but it showed promise, and the second was great! Come to think of it, neither was my second fish sandwich. Well, they've made up for it!

Pork shoulder sandwich at the occasional Galileo grill.

Officially registered Thing Of Beauty. Still hoping for one last score!

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

the turkey on french with sprouts, cucumbers and house dressing at take it away in charlottesville is quite good

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

I had a burger at Firefly for lunch today and it is now on my burgers to eat regularly list (even is the bun is a wee bit too big). The sauteed leeks and tabasco aioli are fabulous. And we've already covered their fries.

I like both the turkey sandwich at Breadline. Freshly carved turkey like Thanksgiving leftovers instead of machine sliced perfect slices makes all the difference. As does the spicy mustard.

I had a pastrami on seedless rye with a potato knish at the Carnegie Deli before a meeting in NY last week. I dream about this.

The Reuben from Marvelous Market (as always on toasted/buttered rye).

The Market on the Boulevard on MacArthur Blvd for the CJ Islander (marble rye, awesome smoked turkey, hellman's mayo, homemade cranberry sauce, and icebergio lettuce)!

Sweet Stuff in McLean also has awesome hommous, so lube your "carbs" with that.

What about Po' Boys? Louisiana Express in Barfesda is pretty good. Anyone else?

Capitol Grounds (21st + Penn, Conn + 16th?)

I love the Razzle Dazzle Roast Beef - roast beef with boursin cheese and alfalfa sprouts - I get it on toasted wheat bread. mmmm. Tho I've only had it at the Foggy Bottom location.

I also like Mr. Lee's BLT from Jonathan's Gourmet at 21st & L - first, they grill wheat bread with cheddar, then when the cheese is melted they add bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado and cilantro mayo. Though sloppy and greasy, its my favorite grilled cheese/BLT ever.

There used to be this sandwich place in San Luis Obispo called "The Art of Sandwich" - they made THE BEST sandwiches I've ever had -- ever ever. Has anyone else been there?

When I was in SLO town last year, i couldn't find it. I think it closed. But I got many ideas for sandwiches there, and I give them credit for turning me into a Master Sandwich Maker. Someday, when I open my sandwich shop (attached to my teahouse and community-focused bookstore) (and next to my pipe-dream factory) you will all choose my sandwiches as your favorites. yes you will. :biggrin:

I love a good sandwich - but I haven't found that many great ones in DC. Breadline is good, but I've had some disappointments there, too. I will go back to try the fish fry. Where else do you find consistently good sandwiches?

Edited to add: Tonight, someone told me that the bakery on Mount Pleasant Street has great egg sandwiches - I'll try one and report back soon.

Edited by LittleWing (log)

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

Cheesesteaks from Philly Mike's on Sunset Valley Drive in Reston.

The same from Ray's on Mt. Vernon Ave in DelRay.

Italian Combo Sub from Giuseppe's in downtown Rockville.

Anything from daMarco on Colesville across from AFI in downtown SS.

That said, DC stinks as a sandwich town. You want real stick to your ribs cause indigestion sandwiches? Go to Pittsburgh! I hear that it's the latest hotspot for DC commuters to look for cheap land and good housing stock.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

The fried catfish sandwich on the Friday lunch menu at Colorado Kitchen. Horace and Dickie can only dream of frying fish this well.

PS: You've never been to Horace and Dickie's? For shame! Definitely a contender for the "authentic DC food experiences" thread a while back.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Not really a sandwich kind of girl. That said, I am unfortunately partial to the sandwiches the little Korean-run deli below my old office made - at the end of the day, it's just lunch food from an anonymous little store front like ten thousand others in the city, but they took the trouble to get real mozzarella, come up with interesting combinations each day (I particularly liked the proscuitto - with decent ham! No day-glo salty stuff! - with arugula and robiola), watch out for the doddering patriarch of the family, who was kept occupied by busily pulling espresso shots and chatting up customers in broken English, and yet always ask about my sister, who they thought would be a great match for their son :smile:

Re: CK I had a dream that I went there last night (though I've never been there). My high school boyfriend was canoodling with Gisele Bundchen in a corner in his dress whites, and Gillian Clark gave me a milkshake that had a raw egg yolk bobbing on the surface.

Cobb salad sandwich on muffaletta bread from Vie de France. You can get one at the shop on 1725 K St., and then go enjoy it lounging on the grass at whatever passes for "the park" next to Army-Navy club. This way you can avoid the lunch crowds of K St. pasty-face legal eagles.

Resident Twizzlebum

Take it Away in Charlottesville has great sandwiches! The dressing they put on the sandwiches is awesome.

Also great in C-Ville are the sandwiches at Bel Air Market (in the gas station).

But I digress. In DC, I also like the Sophia Loren at Peacock Cafe. Crusty baguette, red pepper pesto, smoked turkey and warm brie. Mmmmm

If we're including pita sammies, then the best gyro by far I've had in DC is from the Greek stand in the Union Station food court.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Re: CK I had a dream that I went there last night (though I've never been there).  My high school boyfriend was canoodling with Gisele Bundchen in a corner in his dress whites, and Gillian Clark gave me a milkshake that had a raw egg yolk bobbing on the surface.

:biggrin::raz::biggrin:

I *love* the chicken wrap with garlic mayo (hold the lettuce) at...Pik-Pita in the food court at the mall in Pentagon City. I don't shop a ton, but when I go there, I always look forward to that wrap. Yum.

I love the Sconset at Jetties on Foxhall road--hummus, sprouts, avocado, and muenster on multigrain bread...mmm. Jetties' Thanksgiving sandwich (I can't remember its proper name) also looks good, with warm turkey, stuffing, and cranberries, but I haven't been able to tear myself away from the Sconset the few times I've been there.

The Cuban at SBC Cafe is one of my favorites. And their Southwestern Shrimp Club (or something like that) may sound like a mess but it works. Fried shrimp, pepper Jack cheese, guacamole and a chipotle Mayo on good bread.

Bill Russell

My favorite sandwiches in the DC area come from the Gourmet Pizza Deli (or Lost Dog Cafe... I lived in the neighborhood as a kid, and I still think of it as the GPD. Not sure if they changed the name, or just added the eating space next door) in North Arlington. I believe my favorite was the Sicilian, which had an awesome combination of Genoa salami, turkey, mayo (though I think they changed the recipe, and it features oil now), some sort of veg, and a pretty good bread.

They also have coolers full of hard-to-find imported beers. And decent VA wines. :cool: