• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cinnamon Cream Cake

Richard Kilgore

Corner Bakery has a cinnamon cream cake that I would like to make. Can anyone point me to a recipe for it, or something similar? I would also be interested in hearing about any variants. For example, I think a little orange would go well with this.

Thanks, Neil. Here's a link to the Corner Bakery website. Click on sweets and wait for the images to rotate. A whole cake and a slice will rotate separately. I am afraid my level of non-cake baking is not going to help me describe it. It is rather moist, has cinnamon-sugar swirled through the batter, but I don't know how to dscribe the "cream cake". Perhaps someone else has seen or eaten this and can help out.

Do you mean a cinnamon sour cream cake or a cake with some sort of cinnamon cream or mousse filling?

I don't know whether or not it uses sour cream, but that's a possibility. It does not have any filling.

Instead of icing, I think it has a brown sugar crumbled topping and it's dusted with powdered sugar.

Ahhhhhhhh I've tasted it.

Heres the deal........I discovered this while working at someones bakery. To make bundt cakes, breakfast cakes (whatever you want to call them) there is a mix that can be purchased thats fab. gives your perfect results even letting you make adjustments. It's called CREAM CAKE on the bag. I believe Dawn sells this. (Someone might be able to provide a link to Dawn where you can see this product, but I have to run to work now.) I'd bet money that this is what the Corner Bakery is using, it tastes exactly the same to me.

All this is, is a cream cake mix that they adjust/flavor with their cinnamon struesel. That's how they get such consistant results from one shop to the next.

There is no cream filling in this cake. It's a simple cinnamon flavored bundt cake.

The cake and the slice on that website looks a lot like something my mom made when I was a kid. Recipe came from one of her co-workers; not sure where before that. It was called "Sock it to me" cake -- guess which decade I grew up in!

Basic cake mix (Duncan Hines Golden Butter Cake if I recall correctly) with sour cream subbed for part of the liquid. Make a streusel topping (brown sugar, cinnamon, chopped pecans). Pour about 2/3 of the batter into a prepared tube pan, sprinkle on half the streusel. Pour the rest of the batter in (as I recall, it was thick, so you had to spread gently to avoid disturbing the streusel), and sprinkle with the remaining streusel. Bake, cool, and glaze with what I think I remember was a thin powdered sugar + milk glaze.

I could probably come close to recreating it now, but I imagine I'd use a good scratch recipe instead of the DH mix.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

Sounds like the Coffee Cakes in Rose Levy Beranbaum and Carole Walter's books. Carole has recipes for 3 coffee cakes with different degrees of richness. All of them have sour cream in it. I love them. :wub:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I have considered getting the RLB Cake Bible, so this may push me over the edge. Unless there's a different cake book best for a one-cake-book cook. Or at least a first cake book cook.

I get it. Dawn is for commercial bakers. I can't see even a 24 pound bag of mix at home :biggrin: , so I'll try one of the other ideas. Though someone else here may be able to use that suggestion.

Hi Richard,

I know we have people that love the Cake Bible by RLB. But having worked from tons of books, there are several other books I think are MUCH better for a 1 baking book cook to own. I'd reccomend buying The Bakers Dozen which is a compulation of recipes from several very well known and respected bakers. Every recipe is solid and many recipes are the best in their catagory published anywhere.

Richard, I think ‘Cinnamon Creme Cake’ is simply a fancy name for the Sour Cream or Jewish Coffeecake previously mentioned with ‘creme’ for sour cream. Variations of the recipe have been around for years. I use an old Betty Crocker recipe similar to the Sara Foster (linked above) but not as rich as the RLB one. Ideal for Thanksgiving or Christmas breakfast or anytime.