• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread Science Books

I'm a huge fan of Harold McGee, Shirley Corriher, Robert L. Wolke and Alton Brown. I've read everything they've written, and most more than once.

I'd like to delve further into bread, specifically dough rheology as well as enzymes. I've been able to amass a decent amount of knowledge on yeast from books on brewing, but a good book on that would be great too.

Are there any books you'd recommend?

They exist but are hard to find outside of technical institutions. I'd suggest contacting the American Institute of Baking (AIB) in Manhattan, Kansas--they have some great technical bulletins and a few heavy hitting books. Also, the Bread Bakers Guild of America has some great technical pieces (but not overly so) that you can purchase by contacting them at www.bbga.org. Finally, try www.sfbi.org, the SF Baking Institute. They've been putting out a series of newsletters with terrific technical info.

JUST IN: Jeffrey Hammelman's wonderful new book, "Bread," has some good science in it too.