• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lebanese "Saj" Bread

It is quiet fortunate that you are with us this week since we recently started discussing Lebanese Mountain or Saj bread, Click Here for the thread. Have you ever tried this bread cooked in this manner? Do you have a formula we can use to produce thin soft Saj bread?

Thanks,

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

That was a great thread and the recipe looks fine to me. The amount of whole wheat flour vs. white really is a judgment call--you could go all the way to 100% whole wheat if you want to. I've made similar bread on the back of the wok but didn't know it was called Saj. The key to thinness is to let the dough relax between stretch outs, treating it almost like making pita bread or focaccia col formaggio dough, or even strudel (though there is no yeast in those). Thanks for sharing the thread--I can see why so many people got jazzed about it.